Almost 1 week out

Chelsea D.
on 6/14/11 3:50 am
Well I am 6 days out from surgery. And I am FINALLY starting to feel human again. I actually slept in the bed half the night last night(well this morning actually)..I hadn't been able to because I end up on my side in the bed and it's been pulling....but I tried today and it WORKED! YAY! That was the best couple hours of sleep I've had since before surgery last week. I'm having a hard time with protein shakes, they make me sick...so I've been living off greek yogurt, which sucks because of the carb content but right now I'm more concerned about healing than losing so it's ok. I did get outside and walked for about 15 minutes today which made me feel much better.

My only concern is that my surgeon told me at my consultation appt that I have a small hernia near my belly button. We discussed it and decided that since I've never had any problems with it that he wouldn't mess with it as he would be doing everything above that area anyway. Well now I'm having pain in that area. Not necessarily that particular area just that whole section of my belly. I go for my post-op next wednesday. I've been watching the area for any changes and it's actually gotten a whole lot better over the last 2 days so I'm thinking it's just a coincidence and I've freaked myself out by reading so much on this and another forum site. If it gets worse I guess I will go ahead and call the coordinator and see if she thinks its something he should check out. The bad thing is I didn't even see my surgeon before being discharged from the hospital because he had been called in for emergency surgery and I had to get outta there in time to get my pain meds filled. So I was really annoyed when I saw my post op appt wasn't for 2 weeks!!

Wow, sorry this is so long. Just needed to get all that out for the sake of my sanity!! Thanks for reading!!! =)

Tom C.
on 6/14/11 9:42 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
CONGRATS on your mending. Believe me it DOES get easier as the days go on.

Make sure you speak to the Doctor with any concerns/questions. You know my motto, it's best to hear "that's quite normal" instead of "why didn't you say something when it first occurred?"

As for carbs, don't be too concern. In fact, just make sure you hit those protein numbers and don't be too concerned about: fats, sugars, sodium, calories, carbs, etc. PROTEIN is the key to success. Of course, I don't want you to have 4 gallons of ice cream, and 2 cheesecakes to make those protein numbers. Common sense applies.

Know we're here for you!! Good luck with your mend.

Tom

Smart phone + dumb user + auto-correct = typos
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Chelsea D.
on 6/15/11 1:18 am
Thanks Tom! I ended up emailing the coordinator last night because my pain was getting worse but I wasn't worried enough to bother her at home. She emailed me back this morning and said it sounds like healing muscle and to try using an abdominal binder to ease the pain when moving around since that's usually when it happens. I was more active yesterday that I have been so I believe that's what led to the increased pain last night.

Anyway, on a SUPER happy note...I am 1 week out and 25 pounds lighter!! YAY!! Including 17 pounds lost during pre-op diet of course. =)
Most Active