First time considering the realize band, and I have some??

Hislady
on 6/2/11 4:28 am - Vancouver, WA
In all honesty I would never suggest the band for anyone that had to lose over 75-100 lbs. I have the allergan band but they are basically the same. I would strongly suggest either the RNY or the sleeve if you don't want malabsorbtion. The band is the most difficult to get adjusted to the right restriction and even then there is no guarantee it will work for you. In fact my surgeons office is now urging patients to get the sleeve instead of the band because they are seeing so many problems with the band. Some docs refuse to even do the band anymore. So I truely wish you the best but urge you to study all the surgery options.
Tom C.
on 6/2/11 10:45 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Emily51501,

Ok, here my 2 ¢ .. none of these operations are successful weight loss surgeries, and all of these operations are successful weight loss surgeries. Sounds like I just contradicted myself, well yes and no. It’s truly not the operation that causes the success, it’s the person. These operations are tools, and you need to be willing to work the tool in order to be successful. If you’re thinking the operation will do it for you, you’re sadly mistaken.

While some say bypass allows you to lose more weight then a band, that’s also not 100% true. The averages show that folks lose between 60% and 80% of their excess weight with bypass, compared to 40% to 60% with a band. However, I know bypass patients who haven’t loss more then 30%, and band patients who have lost at least 80%

I wanted to lose 220 pound, and my Doctor said, while it would take a great deal of work, it was possible to do it with the band. I was 435 pounds. I am happy to say, I WORKED my band, and lost as much as a bypass patient. I am elated to say I made my 220 goal. That's almost 90% of my excess body weight. It took 3 years, but I did it.

What you need to stop and decide is what type of eater are you, and your medical condition. If you have type 2 diabetes (for less than 10 years) you can address that quicker with a bypass then a band (however it is possible to address it with a band – I know a few people who have). If you like sweets, then bypass may be the better choice. If you’re a large volume eater, then band may be the best choice.

Finally, as for Doctors concentrating on one certain procedure over another, I personally haven’t heard that. In fact I spoke to various Bariatric Doctors in NJ about this, and none have heard that Doctors are opting out of one style for another. Not saying it’s not true, it’s not common in NJ. While I am no medical expert, my feeling is if one operation was truly more successful then the others, then the medical community (and insurance companies) would demand folks get one procedure over the others. An example, in NJ the “Rose" procedure is no longer being covered, and many Doctors are no longer doing this procedure because they feel it’s not been successful.

No matter what procedure you decide to have, know I (and many others) are here for you. It doesn’t matter if it’s band, bypass, sleeve, ds, bib, etc. How we get healthy isn’t important. Getting healthy is.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
purple39lady
on 6/2/11 11:20 am
Emily,
  I understand exactly how you are feeling.  I just had the realize band surgery on the 3rd of May.  I have lost 20 lbs, but I do have to admit that it is a struggle.  I still have cravings and temptations,but I have to work hard to lose.  I am trying to exercise three times a week for an hour.  In the mornings, I lift 6lb weights, will get back up to my 8lbs soon while I let my dog out to use the bathroom.  It is a lifestyle change, but one that I am going to embrace.  I did experience some pain and frustration with the liquid, pureed diets.  At this time I do not regret what I have done, but I am still a newbie.  I am happy with my doc and I also attend a support group once a month.  I love this forum and everyone here is very knowledgable and supportive.  Good luck with your decision. 
Emily51501
on 6/2/11 12:09 pm - Duluth, MN
VSG on 06/06/12
Thank you all for your wonderful input, it has helped me see more sides to the story. Believe it or not, I'm now even considering the sleeve. If my research is correct it could possibly give me the best of both worlds (the band and rny). More permanent restriction without the malabsorbtion of rny. I don't know, once again I'm on the fence. Plus I am not completely sure if there is a surgeon in my area offering it. But, again, I thank you for everyones help, you all are the greatest resource of info and support out there!

colo_girl
on 6/3/11 1:52 am - Arlington, VA
REALIZE Band on 06/23/10 with
Hi there,

I know what you mean, I was uncomfortable not only by the malabsorption of the RNY, but losing weigh too fast worried me too.  I liked the concept of the sleeve, but it is not reversible.  So I chose the band.  I am now almost 1 year out and have lost about 55 lbs, and have another 55 to go. ( I think that is right on track, if I remember correctly estimates are ~60lbs of weight loss in the first year).

However, (and there is always a however ) It was not consistent, slow and steady.  What I mean is, I did great and lost the first 45 lbs in the first 4 months after surgery, then only another 10 in the next 6.  Infact over the last 3 I have gone up and down in a 5 lb range.  The reason for this is that i got off the nut program, and went back to my old habits.  (EXACTLY the same pattern I followed when dieting!  yo-yo!)  But, the restiction the band provides mitigates the damage.  Without the band I would have gained back all that I had lost and probably more.

It takes awhile to find that restriction "sweet spot" folks talk about, but now that I think i am getting close, the weight is coming off again.  I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat.  This is a great tool, and is preventing me from putting all the weight back on while I continue to work on my emotional eating issues.  Just like the others have said it is a tool, and you have to work at it.

Best of luck to you whatever surgery you choose.

Kim H.
on 6/3/11 3:39 am - Duluth, MN
I, to, do not regret my decision to get the band. My weigh loss is slowing down now but I think that is my fault. I am not sticking to the "program" like I should be. I am allowing my impulse to snack to get to me. I am definitely NOT at the "sweet spot" yet. I know it takes awhile for some people. The fact that the sleeve is not reversible scared me, except that I don't think I will ever reverse my band (not that if there was a problem where it stopped "working for me", I would not consider it).I am just going to have to "buckle down", get more exercise and drink more fluids between meals. And the required support group for a year is a godsend! I love the support I get from fellow WLS people AND from the professionals who run the group. There is another 2 cents from me. What's that make now, anout 20 cents?LOL

~Kim~

Most Active