First time considering the realize band, and I have some??

Emily51501
on 6/1/11 5:49 pm - Duluth, MN
VSG on 06/06/12
Ok, to be completely honest, I actually want to have rny. However, I'm not sure mentally I would handle the healing process or even the drastic weightloss so fast in most cases. Also, I'm on the fence about putting my body through a malabsorbtion procedure. Soooo....I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd like to explore my options.
So give me the gods honest truth on how you feel about your surgery, the pains, weightloss, eating issues, etc.
I thank you so much in advance for you patience with all my questions.

Kim H.
on 6/1/11 7:11 pm - Duluth, MN
Emily,
I truly think that you would be making a great decision going through this. Dr. Lenz and his staff are WONDERFUL! They are so willing to answer questions, etc. Have you gone through the process of the counseling and the MMPI test and everything yet?If that shows you are not able to "handle it mentally" , you will not be given the OK to go ahead with the surgery. Plus you go through 6 months of dietitian visits, once a month. I was scared too, but, like I said, Dr. Lenz and his team are the BEST! (No offense to anyone who does not live in our area ). Good luck and know that we are here for you!

~Kim~

Emily51501
on 6/1/11 11:17 pm - Duluth, MN
VSG on 06/06/12
Kim, I've been meaning to chat with you since youre from duluth. I posted a reply to an older post of yours where you were asking if anyone else was from duluth.
I've completed all psych testing, dietician visits, etc. but because my insurance issues have taken so long I will now have to start over. But at least I know I have the ability to pass! And I've met with dr lenz and you're right, he is so comforting. He seems great! I met with a different surgeon as well, and it definitely made me appreciate dr lenz's warm persona. Anyway, see if you can check out my other post from your Duluth post, maybe we can chat sometime.

Kim H.
on 6/2/11 12:17 am - Duluth, MN
I think I know the "other doctor" you are talking about.You are right, there is no comparison to Dr Lenz! The band does take dedication. It is frustrating at times, because it is a slower weight loss. But , it is always said, the slower the weight comes off, the better. And I know you can do it! We will chat sometime and maybe even meet? Good luck!

~Kim~

crystal M.
on 6/1/11 10:24 pm - Joliet, IL
The honest truth about my experience....

I really struggled at first.  I wasn't losing any weight.  I also started to regret my decision to have band surgery.  I did finally get my act together and worked my band and exercised my butt off and the weight just melted off me.  Faster than I thought possible.  I eat healthy lean protein, stick to complex carbs...no more simple processed foods (except on my birthday I am having some cake!!!!  hehehe).  I exercise 90 minutes a day, 6 days a week.  For me the weight loss wasn't a breeze.  I worked hard for it.  When someone makes a comment about me losing weight because I had surgery I get mad.  Because I wasn't losing any weight till I decided to eat right and exercise.  That is me doing the work...NOT the band.  The RNY is an easier weight loss and I think most agree to that.  If you you want to drop the weight with out as much work...the RNY is the better choice.  Do I regret getting the Band???  If you asked me a year ago I would have said yes....now I say NOPE, I don't regret it at all.  I feel that if weight loss comes to easily for some, the life style changes never have ot be made.  I HAD to learn to eat healthy and HAD to exercise.  Now I am healthier than I have ever been and I am training to run in my first 5K race...just a year ago I was 300 lbs now I am running!!!  You can't top that!!!
Emily51501
on 6/1/11 11:19 pm - Duluth, MN
VSG on 06/06/12
Emily51501
on 6/1/11 11:37 pm - Duluth, MN
VSG on 06/06/12
When I said I wanted the god honest truth, I meant it so I'm glad you gave me yours!
Heres the deal, I have minimally 150lbs to lose, ideally 200. I'm not so sure I could be as strong as you are, especially for the first half of my weightloss. However, I like the idea of a slower weightloss, less trauma to the body. I think theres two types of dedication. Theres dedication

Emily51501
on 6/1/11 11:39 pm - Duluth, MN
VSG on 06/06/12
Theres dedication, thats me, then theres DEDICATION. I think I could use a bit more of your DEDICATION!

crystal M.
on 6/1/11 11:53 pm - Joliet, IL
I had 200 lbs to lose.  I still have about another 50 lbs to go.  I started at 354 lbs and the first year I lost about 50 lbs (before I changed my ways).  I am now so close to 199 I can stand it.  I haven't been in the 100's since I was 20!!!  So for 2 decades.

Yes the band does take dedication.  I know there some lucky few people that barely try and lose weight with their bands..or they keep their bands too tight and they can't eat hardly anything.  For me though I had to work at it.  I have gone from a BMI of 54 to a BMI of 32.  I wore a 30 now I wear a 14/16.  I have lost about 54 inches (4 1/2 feet!!!).  I wasn't able to climb stairs with out getting tired now I can run a mile.  As you get closer to your goal weight the weight loss does slow down but that just makes me more dertermined then ever!!! 

Good luck with your journey!!!

Kim H.
on 6/2/11 12:20 am - Duluth, MN
I get really mad, too, when people say that stuff about the surgery caused me to lose weight.Yeah, it did come off easily at first and the closer to goal it is harder. But you are right, we are doing the work, the band is just helping. A quick fix?? I dare say, NOT!! Congrats on the 5K..Keep us posted, let us know how you do!!

~Kim~

Most Active