Day 1 of Pre-Op Liquids

Chelsea D.
on 5/29/11 9:58 am
Wellllll...I was supposed to start liquids today...and then my aunt decided to cook a nice big sunday dinner. =( I caved. BUT I only had maybe a tablespoon of mac and cheese and mashed potatoes and then some of the broth from the chicken and dumplings that she made(and a few lil bites of chicken that managed to make it into the plate). So it could've been a whole lot worse. I wasn't able to stomach the protein powder this morning because I mixed it with water(i was just informed friday that i can't use skim milk like i had planned). But I do have some of the Atkin's Advantage shakes chilling so I can get that in before bed tonight. Other than that it's just been crystal light and a couple sugar free popsicles. And I'm about to go for some jello. I can't stand all this sweet stuff...guess I'll have to break down and have some chicken broth even though it's disgusting to me. Any ideas/recommendations for savory liquids rather than sweet???
purple39lady
on 5/30/11 6:37 am
Chelsea,  I know the liquids are hard.  I did things like runny oatmeal.  That was not too bad and tomato soup.  I don't particularly like tomato soup, but it did help to add a little milk.  I did eat the heck out of s/f popsicles and I still do.  Try the Bryer fruit.  They are delicious.  I had my surgery the early part of May.   Try and put some of the protein in your coffee or hot tea.  That helped me.  Of course they are both decaff.  Major change for me, but not problem with it now.  Good luck hun.
Chelsea D.
on 5/30/11 8:33 am
Thank you. Unfortunately all I am allowed is 3 shakes per day plus broth,s/f jello, s/f popsicles and s/f super low calorie beverages. The powder I have is absolutely disgusting. But I have unflavored Unjury coming in a couple days. Hopefully I will be able to get enough of my Atkins shakes down between now and then. I know it'll be worth it. Im really not all that hungry today especially after my last Atkins shake which made me wanna vomit.
Tom C.
on 5/31/11 12:28 am, edited 5/31/11 12:28 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Chelsea,

Maybe these websites can help you decide what is and isn’t acceptable in the liquid stages. As always, ask your Doctor or Nutritionist before changing your intake:

http://www.saintclares.org/assets/Uploads/Bariatrics_Images/Gastric-Banding-Progression-Diet-Booklet.pdf

http://www.saintclares.org/assets/Uploads/Bariatrics_Images/Gastric-Bypass-Progression-Diet-Booklet-doc-Rev-1009-08final.pdf

http://hamptonbariatric.com/diet-after-lap-band  

Finally, you need to realize you are stronger than any craving or any food. It took strength to admit you have a problem you can’t control. It took strength to decide to have an operation. So know that while it may be rough now, you have the strength to stay the correct course.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active