Questions about Realize Band

abanadarina
on 5/16/11 12:05 pm
I am approved for surgery on the 24th of May and today I found out my surgeon no longer uses the allergan band and I am kind of bummed. I always thought the Realize band was less restrictive and harder to get to that sweet spot. I haven't done much research on it because I thought I was getting the allergan band. I just wanted some feedback from those of you who have the realize band. How is it working for you? Do you wish you would've gotten the allergan? Do you feel restriction? How long did it take to feel restricted? Help!
Kim H.
on 5/16/11 10:51 pm - Duluth, MN
Unfortunately I think everyone is different. I have started to feel a bit of restriction, however, I was just "banded" on 2/28/11 so I am kinda a newbie, so I am sure it will take awhile. Sorry I could not be anymore help

~Kim~

Tom C.
on 5/17/11 4:14 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Abanadarina,

As Kim said, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!! I had only 2 fills, and got great restriction, and I do not regret a single day in choosing the Realize band.

In MY research, outside the US the Realize band (well actually the Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band which was the original name for this band) had better results than the Lap-band, hence why I decided I wanted this one. However, I know you can find literature/documentation/findings that will say the opposite.

IMHO, it’s not the BAND that makes the success, but the person. Remember it’s only a tool, and you need to work with it in order to be successful.

If you’re really apprehensive, speak to your Doctor. Maybe he can explain why HE DECIDED to use only one band over the other. And maybe, just maybe, if he knows you have apprehension, he can “sneak in" the Lap-band.

Just know, no matter which band you decide to have, we'll be here for you.  

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
abanadarina
on 5/17/11 6:17 am
Thank you guys for the support! Well when I asked him why he switched he said it was because he had some patients complaining about being very tight and in pain. And then when I said okay well whats the difference his exact words were, "basically it's a low pressure system, so its not going to be queezing the crap out of your stomach". Normally that should be a good thing right? Well I always wanted my stomach to be squeezed. LOL But I agree with you on it doesn't matter which band, the journey and will power is what matters. I already lost 10 lbs preparing for the band 3 weeks ago so I think I will be fine. It would be nice if I was restricted though. My only fear is, some realize bandsters I know have like 10 cc out of the 11 cc filled and it's only month 3... that makes me worried. What about for the rest of the year.. or YEARS. lol I don't want to be filled all the way right away. I hope 3 ccs can restrict me. How many ccs do you guys have?
Tom C.
on 5/17/11 9:33 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
You never want to be very tight or in pain. That's not a good thing.

As mentioned, each person is different. 3 cc's can be as effective as 6 cc's which may be as effective as 10 cc's. Ask your Doctor how he does fills. Some do it "blind", others do it under fluoroscope (which IMHO is the way to go). Some schedule fills every X weeks, others do every X months. My Doctor feels, as long as you're losing no need to do a fill. Fills should only be done if your lost slows, stops, reverses or you can eat more then before. I like that philosophy, and recommend it. IMHO there are only so many fills one can get (the maximum of the band's size). Unless you can control your eating habits, and make good choices, no band adjustments will help. Eventually it's the PERSON who makes the BAND successful.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Stephanie M.
on 5/17/11 10:13 am
I have 3.5 cc in my 11cc Realize Band and feel that with both fills (3 cc and .5 cc) I reached optimal fill.  I was able to hold and see both bands before deciding which one to get, and my doctor explained that Realize promotes their band as being low pressure (kind of like a wider rubber band) and flatter than the Lap-band, and their hope is there will be less risk of erosion with this system.  The port is flatter and wider and is attached to the facia with little hooks rather than sutured.  I haven't noticed anyone with a Realize saying their port "flipped" either...it may have happened, but I just haven't noticed it being mentioned on the boards.

Fills are not the end all to banding.  Some doctors and patients are too aggressive with fills...being too tight can cause you to slip, have reflux, etc.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Kim H.
on 5/18/11 8:57 pm - Duluth, MN
As the PA who does my fills explained to me: "it is like a one-size-fits-all T-shirt." It will not fit the same on me as it would on Tom and it would not fit on Tom the way it fits on you, and so on. I am at 5.9 and just now starting to feel the "restriction", and that was my 3rd fill just a week ago. They fill it by talking to you and finding out how you are handling things, like hunger between meals, if any food is getting stuck, choking, etc. And if they fill it too full, we would, as I understand it, not be able to swallow food. That would not be good. So like we said everyone is different. Good luck to you. Hope you can get some comfort from the answers to your post.

~Kim~

pbretheim
on 5/17/11 9:55 pm
My Realize band was put in place in March.  The doctor wants to see me once a month.  The first month I got 5.5 cc fill.  The second fill was 2.0 cc.  I don't have restriction yet, and can eat anything.
Kim H.
on 5/18/11 8:59 pm - Duluth, MN
Once a month is what I am doing too.That must be standard procedure. I can still "eat anything" too, so the hard part is to NOT eat everything. I never knew my amount of willpower until my banding!

~Kim~

purple39lady
on 5/20/11 9:49 am
Abanadarina,
  I am a newbie.  I had my realize band surgery on May 3, 2011.  I haven't received a fill yet.  I have lost 20lbs.  I can eat almost anything, but not as much.  I am finding this week that willpower is my strongest tool.  I want to eat up everything.  I am still sore and just the reminder of the incision, makes me think more about what I put in my mouth.  My doc has stated that if I continue to lose, I may not need a fill.  I hope your surgery goes well.  Keep us posted.
Most Active