Another moment of despair

purple39lady
on 5/12/11 10:08 am
Ok, so today I had a breakdown, again!!! I asked my husband to bring me some wonton soup.  He did, I ate half of it and put some crispy noodles in it.  I let them get soft and ate them.  I was so tired and still am tired of mushy food.  I did write it down and I am confessing this to you all.  I am still hungry, but I am going to try and suck down a protein shake.  Every day is a struggle. 

Hislady
on 5/12/11 1:16 pm - Vancouver, WA
I promise it will get better. Count yourself lucky my surgeon was old school and I had to do a month long pre-op diet of as much skim milk as I could drink in 10 min. 3x a day plus all the non calories drinks I could drink. Thennnn after the surgery I had clear then full liquids for another 30 days. So all in all 60 days of nothing but liquids, I did cheat a couple of pre-op days  but only with a slice of swiss cheese so not like I had a burger basket. We all have to go thru this in one way or another so deep breath and you will make it!
purple39lady
on 5/13/11 12:08 pm
Hislady, thanks so much for the words of encouragement.  I am glad my doc is not "old school".  I know it could be a lot worse.  Counting down to Tuesday to get on soft foods.  YEAH!! 
Tom C.
on 5/12/11 6:04 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Purple39lady,

While I don't want you to think I that you should have wonton soup all the time, you should be proud of yourself that you ate only half the amount. That should mean something. Maybe next time you'll have the strength to forgo the soup all together.

I am wondering, are you getting enough "protein" in during the day? That may be the reason you're not feeling full - longer.

What is a typical eating regiment for you?
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
purple39lady
on 5/13/11 12:12 pm
Tom, in the morning I try to eat 1/4 cup of oatmeal or a scrambled egg.  I try and down 4oz of a protein shake two hours later.  Then for lunch I usually eat applesauce or tomato soup(1/4cup).  I try and eat jello or popsicle(s/f) before dinner.  At dinner I have mashed potatoes or chicken broth.  I have hot tea with protein in it in the evening.  I drink water throughout the day.  I am trying with the shakes, but can't get them down.  I am going to try them again this weekend and add banana in the blender to see if this helps. 
Tom C.
on 5/13/11 5:15 pm, edited 5/13/11 5:16 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Purple39lady,

IMHO I don't see much protein in your diet. (A) How much protein are you suppose to get in a day (B) How much ARE YOU getting in? Protein will keep you feeling full, and longer

If you're finding protein drink too "hard" to get down (don't like the taste), here are some suggestion

(1) buy a different brand. Try Vitalady for "samples". They run between $1.99 to maybe $5.99 per sample www.vitalady.com/ 

(2) Many major vitamin shops (ex GNC, Vitamin Shoppe) have god return policies. Check with them, and then try different brands

(3) Use sugar free syrups and/or flavor extracts in the protein to change the flavors

(4) buy flavor free protein (Unjury makes one) and mix it in foods (ex oatmeal, drinks, soups);

(5) have bean soups (homemade or store [can]); puree via a handheld blender, then strain it (so the 'chunks' are removed)

Of course speak to your Doctor/Nutritionist before altering your intake.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
kimkeever
on 5/13/11 2:19 am - AZ
I got some of the meal replacement shakes from GNC...they are surprisingly pretty good.  They have swiss choc flavor, cookies n cream, vanilla bean, strawberries n cream, and blueberries n cream.  Here lately Ive been mixing them with 1% milk and some ice and they are good.  The swiss chocolate you can mix with some coffee (decaf is good) and put some cinnamon n nutmeg in them.  The protien shakes have been helping me between meals and getting my protien in because I hadnt been eating enough...
Also, talk to your doctor to see what advice they have
Katie Keane in New
York

on 5/14/11 3:12 am - NY
Hey Purple Lady,
Sorry your having a rough trip.
I agree with Tom on that protein intake.  If I don't have enough, I'm as weak as a kitten.  The shakes were rough for me in the beginning, buy gradually not bad.
Another good protein is part -skim ricottta. I use 1/4 of a cup with a Splenda.{or some pureed fruit.  It's like a dessert.  So far, the only meat I am having is meatballs. There delicious, and I eat tiny pieces with my favorite veg and I handle it well.   Go to Realize Band site for some suggestions. 
I don't understand I {ME} how people are hungry after the band. I {Me} get a chest pain that I don't want to feel,  if I eat too much. I guess it effects us all different.

Hang in there, remember how much you want this. . Katie
Katie Keane

Most Active