Have not had a fill yet, but food is getting stuck...

Mary A.
on 5/10/11 4:37 am
Hi everybody,

I had my surgery almost 2 months ago, but have not had a fill yet - it's scheduled for tomorrow.  However, from time to time I still have food stuck, which manifests itself in pain and spasms in esophagus area. Up until yesterday it was happening quite rarely, I think mostly when I was eating too fast.  However, since yesterday I had food stuck 3 times already, and it was soft food, like scrambled eggs...

Has anybody experience anything like that?  Is it normal to have esophagus pain/spasms?

Thank you!
kimkeever
on 5/10/11 7:39 am - AZ
I had that happen once, i think I ate it too fast, it was a part of a sandwich (12 grain bread) and it got stuck....that was the most uncomfortable thing I went through so far...It probably was when you were eating too fast...I asked a co-worker if she had experienced it and she said that what it was...Mine felt like I was going to throw up....i gave it a few minutes and was fine after that...
Hislady
on 5/10/11 8:10 am - Vancouver, WA
Personally I'd skip the fill tomorrow until you figure out why you are getting stuck. Most likely it is from eating too fast and maybe too big a bite. Try cutting your food into the size of a pencil eraser and chew till liquidy. Then be sure one bite is all the way down before taking another. It takes awhile to get the hang of the new eating habits especially if we are used to shoveling a huge bite in before swallowing the first bite. It really is important to eat slowly and thoroughly. Good luck!
Amy B.
on 5/10/11 11:04 am
 I have had this a few times as well when I ate too fast. If you are already prone to acid reflux, it can happen even with soft foods. Did they test for hiatal (sp) hernia before your surgery. My doctor said he wouldn't recommend the band if I had it, so we tested it due to my already present acid reflux. Luckily, I didn't have it. I would strongly advise talking to your doctor openly about it tomorrow. Let us know how it goes!
One day at a time.  
Mary A.
on 5/10/11 11:07 am
Thank you very much for your responses!
Tom C.
on 5/11/11 4:41 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Here are some reasons you can be getting stuck

(1) Eating to fast. I would suggest waiting one full minute between putting another peice of food in your mouth

(2) The size of the food is too big. Before putting a peice of food in your mouth ask yourself "would I give this to a baby" (and yes, I mean HUMAN baby and not elephant)

(3) Are you chewing the food at least 30 times before swallowing? The food should feel like baby-food consistence before swallowing

(4) Is the food moist enough? Dry foods will get stuck easier

(5) Is the food fibrous? This is an issue with newbies

(6) Is the food too doughy? Bread type of food can be difficult unless cooked really well (aka - BURNT)

(7) Dehydration!! While we shouldn’t drink and eat at the same time, if you haven’t taken your allotment of fluids in during the day, your stomach will swell if it’s dehydrated. Make sure you drink when you’re suppose to.

(8) Nerves!! Nerves can cause your stomach to tighten, hence causing the band to be even more tight allowing less food through.

Hope this was helpful. Let us know what your Doctor says.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Mary A.
on 5/11/11 11:03 am
Thank you, Tom!
crystalkissezz
on 5/15/11 12:05 pm - AZ
 YES the same thing happen to me b4 my first fill, but its weird because after i had my fill food hardly gets stuck and it dont hurt at all like it did b4 i got a fill. so im thinking it will be better after fill...
Mary A.
on 5/15/11 3:00 pm
Yes, same here - I had my first fill on Wed (4 days ago), and so far after the fill food has not been stuck...  but I also started shewing better...  BTW, did you feel any "restriction" (whatever it feels like) after your first fill?  Thank you.
Most Active