Breakdown

purple39lady
on 4/29/11 11:30 am
I am scheduled for my lapband on Tuesday and went to the hospital today for my pretesting and registering for the procedure.  I spoke with the RN in the operating room and had blood work done.  I was so nervous and still am.  I have been on my pre diet for the past two weeks and doing fine.  Today I started to eat the kids EAster candy.  I haven't touched any sugar  and now I am having a hard time stopping.  I am going to throw most of the sugar away.  My boys do not need it anyway.  LOL.  But I am really feeling like I am not going to be able to handle my emotional eating.  I did make a protein shake and drink it and some more water.  I got on the site because I was tempted to grab a smartie.  I just don't want to blow this. 

Hislady
on 4/29/11 1:56 pm - Vancouver, WA
This is a struggle for all of us because unfortunately the band only goes around our stomach not our brains. It's something that we have to work on and some even get counseling to help with the battle. Good luck to you and put the candy down!
purple39lady
on 4/30/11 12:12 pm
Hislady, you are so right.  Thanks so much.  The candy is down!!

Tom C.
on 4/29/11 5:21 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Purple39Lady,

Relax a little. You're going through what every one who had this operation is going through - case of doubts.

Throw away all the bad stuff, and as you do imagine you throwing away your "old life/habits". Know come Tuesday you'll be starting a new life - so the slate is clean.

I won't lie to you, there will be times when your emotions will need to be dealt with. At that time I would strongly suggest speaking to your Doctor/Nutritionists or Psych Doctor. I also strongly suggest going to support groups. They are invaluable, and people who attend them regularly lose more weight.

Always no, if you have no other "outlet" we (I) will be here for you.

GOOD LUCK!! And can't wait to see you on the Loser's Bench in the Winner's Circle.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Katie Keane in New
York

on 4/30/11 4:06 am - NY
Hi Purple Lady,
Two days after surgery, it went good little problems that will disappear. But,  I understand your worries.
I agree with Tom, if I felt your worries coming on, I'd head straight to the Psyche doctor. That's what they are there for, to help you through  your journey. Talk, Talk, Talk to someone. Seek out the help you need, what ever it is. Good luck 

Katie Keane

Kim H.
on 4/30/11 5:42 am - Duluth, MN
Hi Purple Lady! I agree completely. A counselor to talk to or a WLS support group is very important! I am required by my surgeon to attend a WLS support group once a month for a year, and even if I weren't required to do it, I would anyway. I also see a counselor about every 4 to 6 weeks. Last week,at the WLS surgery support group the topic just happened to be on the very thing I was struggling with. Visit this site often, too. Everyone here cares and will be as helpful as they (we) can.

~Kim~

purple39lady
on 4/30/11 12:16 pm
Katie,
  I appreciate the advice.  I plan to continue to see my therapist if needed.  She is wonderful.  Good luck to you as well.
Katie Keane in New
York

on 5/1/11 8:41 am - NY
You have a therapist and you like her, what are you waiting for. Run!!!!!!! Every bit of backup you need. Katie in New York
Katie Keane

purple39lady
on 4/30/11 12:14 pm

Tom,  as always your advice is wonderful.  I did attend my first support group last week and absolutely loved it.  The group is going to start pairing newcomers of WLS with sponsors to call similar to AA.  I love the concept.  It does help so much to have people like you here that give advice and encouragement. 

Heather S.
on 5/1/11 4:55 am
Hi Purplelady,

Just read your post and you hit the nail right on the head.  First, congrats on your upcoming surgery.  I was banded last Tuesday.  I can understand that now that the date is coming up its natural to be nervous, I was a bit and mostly excited at the same time.  Sounds like you did really good on the pre-diet as well, give yourself a pat on the bag for follwing that regime.

Don't beat yourself up over eating the Easter candy, sometimes our emotions get the best of us.  But I can understand I struggled for years with emotional eating and its something that I don't think I've ever been "cured" of. The good thing about this tool and possibly the other WLS options (I had RNY 7 years ago before being banded) is that you cannot simply grab anything that you want and eat it, although its tempting.

You won't blow it, we are here to help, I have a difficult time even making my kids lunch without wanting to sneak a bite here and there, alot of it is emotional and I know that its something that can be worked on for the better.  Take your time and follow your surgeons/doctors advice for the post-op diet.  I think its great that you recognize this in yourself and you did not go bonkers and run through a zillion fast food lines.  Take a break give yourself a pat on the back, follow the doctors order and join us here on line.

Good luck on Tuesday, please email and let me know how you do after surgery.
Thank You,

Heather

Most Active