Too Many Irons in the Fire??

Chelsea D.
on 4/26/11 8:47 am, edited 4/26/11 10:34 am
I FINALLY have my consult tomorrow, I will see the Nurse(Hospital Coordinator) and Nutritionist at 1:30 and the surgeon at 2:30. I am SOOOOO excited to finally get started. It took some extra time to get in because my PCP has sucky office staff and then my Psychologist had to reschedule my appt cause he was going to be out of town.

I have been doing some serious budgeting, my insurance pays 80% but I have a certain amount I have to pay up front(on pre-op) day AND I'm trying to purchase a house(on my own). I currently live with my parents and am wanting to move out on my own as soon after surgery as possible because I feel as though it will help me stick to the new habits I am about to form rather than get used to eating with the family and then once I start doing my own thing get lazy and resort to unhealth shortcuts.

With all this said, I am now wondering if maybe I am biting off more than I can chew. The house I am hoping to buy is a fixer upper, but it's a steal! I'm just afraid of the house over shadowing my surgery without me realizing it.

How soon after surgery would you all think I would be able to start working on the house myself? Alot of the work will be done by professionals but I will be doing the painting and possibly even some of the floorcoverings. I have plenty of help and support in regards to both the house and surgery. And I know that if it comes down to it, I would choose my surgery over a house any day, no questions asked. Just trying to get things in perspective so I can plan ahead.
Tom C.
on 4/26/11 9:12 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Stang_Girl66,

Honest answer: I can't tell ya’. Only YOU know YOU, and what YOU can handle. For some this may seem like a lot. For others, this may be exactly what is needed to keep them "busy" during their journey.

This is my advice, and take it for what it’s worth, remember your number one priority is YOU!! Not the house, but YOU. If you feel that the house is overriding you success, then scale down on the house, and work more on STANG_GIRL66. Once that structure has been successfully renovated then it’s time to move onto other project.

And remember both projects are a LONG TERM project. You’re not going to do it overnight. IMHO make long realistic timeline goals for each. And if you don’t hit them when you’re suppose to – DON’T PANIC!! There is no real timeline when the success needs to be completed. Remember, some of our greatest works took YEARS to complete.

Good luck, and know I will be here if you need. While I may have 10 thumbs, I will try to help the best way I can.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Chelsea D.
on 4/27/11 1:05 am
Thank you Tom. I guess I'll see what my surgeon says today and sit down and think through some things tonight. Thank you again!!
Amy B.
on 4/28/11 10:59 pm
 As usual, Tom is right on! I understand your feeling of being overwhelmed. I always have too many irons in the fire. I have a hard time saying no, thought I'm getting better at it. A lot of times it's because what I'm asked to do is stuff I LOVE to do! As someone who is a little over 2 months out, I can say that what you feel now will get so much better after the surgery. Even after a week, I began to feel invincible. My energy level increased, I was (and still am) motivated, and no longer feel overwhelmed by everything I need to get done. Best of luck to you and remember, we are here for you!!!
One day at a time.  
Chelsea D.
on 4/29/11 12:45 am
Thanks Amy! I think I've finally decided to go ahead and start lining up my credit for the house I want and IF the house is still on the market once I get done with surgery then I will know it's meant to be! Now of course I will probably change my mind several times between now and surgery time but for now that's the plan. Hopefully I will be as successful as you have been so far!!
Most Active