Hair loss - How bad is it

peggyann5
on 4/25/11 5:10 am
when did you start seeing your hair thinning? How bad was it? Is it possible that we may need a wig, I am 58 and mine is thin on top now, but I have started using BIOTIN already.

crystal M.
on 4/25/11 7:38 am - Joliet, IL
Hair loss happens with a vitamin deficiency.  Since we don't malabsorb that isn't a huge problem with Bandsters...not that it doesn't ever happen.  I think as long as you follow your doctor's plan, you are able to eat and don't keep your band too tight and take your multivitamin, you should be fine. 

I have lost 140+ lbs so far and haven't lost any hair. 
peggyann5
on 4/25/11 8:09 am
Thanks so much for replying so quickly , I appreciate it and what you said puts me at ease.. Your weight loss sounds great.

Amy B.
on 4/25/11 9:21 am
 Hi Peggy Ann,

I considered this when deciding on the band over RNY. I think the vitamin absorption as well as losing weight at a slower rate really helps avoid major hair loss .
Hislady
on 4/25/11 9:25 am - Vancouver, WA
I didn't lose any hair myself but when it does happen it is usually 3-6 mos. post op and only lasts a few months. When it happens then it is more likely a reaction to the surgery and anesthesia. The shock to the body causes hair lose but it grows back pretty quickly. It doesn't happen to everyone so you may not have any problems.
Tom C.
on 4/25/11 11:57 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
As you can see everyone has different results (that's typical in this bariatric world).

Me, I'm bald - so it didn't matter :D.

If your hair does thin, usually it will grow back between the 6th and 8th month. My that time you should be eating normally. Also, make sure you take your vitamins. Some folks state this helps reduce the chances of hair loss.

Good luck, and know we're here for you!!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
peggyann5
on 4/26/11 4:03 am
Hi Tom and thanks for responding, I guess I should be concerned with more important things but it bothers me a little. If I had a thick head of hair , I wouldn't think anything of it, but I am sure it will be ok. I still don't have a date for surgery, I am stocking my cabinet with things I will need right after, but I am beginning to doubt my decision, I just wish they would hurry up. Thanks again for taking time to reply. I really enjoy hearing from others.

Tom C.
on 4/26/11 8:58 pm, edited 4/26/11 8:58 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Peggann5,

I know everyone is different, and everyone has some "vanity" (may not be the best word) criteria .

For ME: when people ask about the possible hair loss, or "loose" skin issue, my philosophy is "You can hide hair loss/loose skin, but you can't hide fat?". If these issues are the side effect of being healthy, then For ME I rather wear a hat; wig; girdle; different clothing; etc then to remain where I was.

Of course I know my philosophy is different from others, and I am not claiming one is right or wrong. It's just how I look at things.

Again, if you do get hair loss - it's usually temporary.

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
peggyann5
on 4/27/11 5:47 am
Thanks again Tom, Your philosophy makes a lot of sense, I have never really thought about it that way,and by the way , I just bought me a new wig just in case I need it.
Tom C.
on 4/27/11 9:24 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

If you don't need the wig, can you send it to me?

Tom

Most Active