Confused

dlee40
on 4/21/11 2:32 am, edited 4/21/11 2:34 am - TX

Over on the lapband board, somebody posted the following link -- "Long-timers-big-losers-at-restriction-question":

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/4270806/A-great-ar ticle-re-restriction-and-how-the-band-works/

I thought it was well worth reading, and I realize I had a different understanding of "restriction" from this article. But it does leave me confused.

I have not felt what I thought I would feel as restriction until this last week. (My surgery was in late October and I have had fills every month since.) I got a fill a couple of weeks ago and was feeling nothing until last week when I had what I guess was a PB -- not vomiting, but just a little came up. For those few minutes before it came up, I could barely talk and was feeling a SEVERE acid-reflux kind of feeling in my chest. Since then for several days I felt OK but occasionally was experiencing a SLIGHT acid-reflex feeling. Then, about two days ago, I began feeling like what I thought "restriction" should feel like. That is, I could eat a bit, but it didn't take very much to start feeling uncomfortable. No where near what I was feeling when I had the PB.

So if I'm reading the article right, that "feeling" is not restriction. But if it's not, what is it? Am I too tight? Do I need to get an unfill?

Tom, I'm especially counting on you -- but anyone else who has an answer -- to ease my confusion, not to mention my almost always uncomfortableness.

Tom C.
on 4/21/11 4:42 am, edited 4/21/11 6:19 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

I have no idea what you’re feeling, because .. well .. YOU’RE FEELING IT .. but it does sound like you may be a little overfilled. With THAT SAID, it could also be that your stomach is “inflamed", and hasn’t had time to “settle".

Each time your band is tighten, this causes the stomach to be a little irritated. If the band isn’t too tight, the irritation (swelling) isn't that noticeable because foods can pass through easily. However when you get closer and closer to the “optimum" tightness, the irritation can cause more discomfort because food has a narrower passage to go through.

You also mentioned a case of PB (Productive Burp – aka SLIMING). That may have also contributed (re-aggravated) the tenderness of the band, hence why you’re still feeling it now.

I would give it another day or so. Eat slowly. CHEW-CHEW-CHEW- CHEW-CHEW-CHEW- CHEW-CHEW-CHEW- CHEW-CHEW-CHEW- CHEW-CHEW-CHEW- CHEW-CHEW-CHEW- CHEW-CHEW-CHEW- CHEW-CHEW-CHEW- CHEW-CHEW-CHEW- CHEW-CHEW-CHEW (over 30 times) your food before swallowing; make sure portions are no bigger than you would feed a baby, and (if you can) do liquids only for a few days – then see what happens.

If it still occurs after a few days, then contact your Doctor ASAP and have them see you. You know my philosophy by now, but in case you don’t – it’s best to hear “it’s all normal" then to hear “why didn’t you contact us when this first occurred".

Good luck… Anyone else have any comments?

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
crystal M.
on 4/21/11 4:50 am - Joliet, IL

I guess what I call restriction is more like an appetite suppressant.  Because the truth of the matter is, if I wanted to I could eat and eat (I just don't want to).  What I was told is when I get to my optimum fill level (or the green zone) I will feel satiated with 4-6 oz of lean protein and 1/2 of veggies...with no hunger for 4 hours after my meal (every doctor is different).  Now if you put 10oz in front of me and I'm not careful or I'm being a pig I can eat all 10oz.  So when I say I have restriction I mean I am able to eat this amount and feel satisfied.  Am I saying that I can't eat any more....no I could eat more if I wanted to...but I had to train myself to stop when I am satisfied NOT full.  I was so used to stuffing myself that it took some practice. 

I do have to say a acidy feeling could be a symptom for being too tight.  I would talk to my doctor about that.  You don't want to be too tight.  When the band is at a good fill and you follow the band rules you should NOT be PBing, throwing up, or have an acidy feeling.  If you have those things happening that not restriction that "too tight" 

Restriction is a funny thing and we all should stop using that word...I still do.  I think we should say we are at OUR optimum fill level.  What you should feel when you are done eating is satisfied.  Not full to the point if you eat another mouth full you are going to puke.   

I'm sure Tom will explain it better....he has a way with words. 

Kim H.
on 4/22/11 1:19 am - Duluth, MN
My doctor calls it "the sweet spot"..I have not reached that yet..I know it may take time, so in the meantime I am just trying to eat my meals the way I was instructed.

~Kim~

Amy B.
on 4/22/11 11:03 pm
 I have felt the same thing and I call it restriction. I'm not sure what it's actually called, but I know that it feels like I've gone too far and need to stop eating. I tend to get this when I eat too fast rather than too much. Hope this helps!
Most Active