pre opt diet

Kim H.
on 4/22/11 9:16 am - Duluth, MN
Tom,
Thanks. I guess my thing is , I am new at this whole thing so, I too, am scared I will do something "wrong"...Easter is gonna be my first "big deal meal" with my family. I already told them to set my space at the table with a small plate. lol

~Kim~

purple39lady
on 4/22/11 9:47 am
Kim, good luck with your "big meal". I am sure you will do fine.  You sound so disciplined and focused.   I hope you have a wonderful holiday.  Thanks again for all the support. 

Tom C.
on 4/22/11 9:51 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Kim,

You know me - Mr. Honest - so here I go. You are gonna do something wrong. We all do. Heck, even 3+ years out I still do. But with each "wrong" thing I do, I learn from it - and I try to not make the same mistake twice (or 3 times, or 15 times).

Remember, no one on this earth is perfect. If you DO do something wrong, we'll be here to help you.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
purple39lady
on 4/22/11 8:51 am

Tom, thanks so much.  I guess the more I read and the closer I get to my surgery date, the more scared  I become.  I did manage to eat more today and I also drink more fluids.  The nausea is not as bad, I just don't want to eat(what is going to happen when I get banded?).   I  did call my doc and spoke with a nurse.  I told her about my difficulties getting the protein shakes down.  She made some suggestions and how to incorporate them into other foods such as s/f jello.  I am going to attend a support group on Tuesday and look forward to speaking with others.  I haven't had coffee for two days, but I plan on drinking some decaf this weekend.  I do appreciate the support more than you will ever know. 

Tom C.
on 4/22/11 9:48 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Being scare is par for the course. To be honest, I wake up scared everyday. I'm afraid that the "other shoe is going to drop" and I'm going to fail again. However I take that same fear, and embrace it - because it keeps me focused on staying on target.

As for "masking" the protein supplements, some companies (like Unjury) make non-flavored protein powder that you can mix into anything; depending on the flavors, you can mix them in: puddings; oatmeal; ricotta/cottage cheese/etc; de-cafe coffees (chocolate ones makes coffee taste like mocha); "crystal-light" (vanilla mixed with crystal-light orange tastes like a cream-cicle

Glad to see you've reached out to your Nutritionists and are planning on going to Support Groups. Just these two "simple" acts goes to show you're ready, and you'll be successful.

Good luck!! Know we're here for ya !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Amy B.
on 4/24/11 8:51 pm
 I actually went out and bought coffee for the first time since my surgery yesterday. I didn't have any caffeine until about 2 weeks ago, but have been having a cup in the morning at work. My doctor didn't really put restrictions on caffeine, but said no carbonated drinks and no tea (meaning our typical southern sweet iced tea). They said something in the tea just doesn't work well with surgery. I haven't tried it and (unfortunately) don't intend to. Anyway, the reason I started drinking coffee again is because it works as a diuretic and seem to need that much more than pre-surgery. As Tom always says, do what your doctor tells you. If we had all the answers, we'd be getting paid the big bucks :)

Amy
Most Active