pre opt diet

purple39lady
on 4/20/11 9:11 am
Is it common to experience nausea or constipation on the pre opt diet?  I just started yesterday and I am feeling very blah. 

Tom C.
on 4/20/11 10:33 am, edited 4/20/11 7:18 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Not sure if it's common, but it can happen.

(A) How much are you eating? -- not eating enough can make you feel sick

(B) What are you eating? -- make sure you are having a "balance" meal. Even if it's just liquids.

(C) How much are you drinking (I am talking about caffeine free products)? If you don't take in enough water, constipation could occur.

(D) Don't forget, your body can be going through the first stage - what I call the "detox" stage. Getting rid of those impurities (i.e. caffeine; sugar; carbs, etc) can cause you to feel sick.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 4/20/11 10:04 pm - Duluth, MN
I agree with Tom. I was just in the hospital for being dehydrated and I experienced constipation. Good luck with your pre op diet. See you on the Losers' Bench really soon!

~Kim~

purple39lady
on 4/21/11 1:24 am
Thanks Kim.  I hope this gets better and I don't have any complications after I am banded.  I read Bear's posts and some of the others about the "horrors of the band"  I am freaked out a bit. 

purple39lady
on 4/21/11 1:23 am
Tom, I am drinking my shakes and eating s/f jello, s/f yogurt, and veg. soup(WW).  I am drinking at least 64 oz and also I have stopped drinking coffee. I am trying to have decaf coffee every other day.  This has to be the hardest.  I had a hard time getting my shake down this morning, but I slowly sipped it.  I guess I am going through detox.  Thanks so much.

Tom C.
on 4/21/11 2:33 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Since you’re not banded yet, and have a little time to go – instead of having no caffeine right off the bat, try to “wean" yourself off.  Have 3/4 caffeine to 1/4 decafe for 2 days; then 1/2 caffeine to 1/2 decafe for 2 days, the 1/4 caffeine to 3/4 decafe for 2 days; then all decafe.

As for BAND horrors – in all honesty, there are BAND horrors. There are also BYPASS horrors; and SLEEVE horrors; and DS horrors, and .. well you get the idea. No matter which operation you chose, you’ll hear success and/or horror stories. It’s all individualized. Some will claim, one operation is better than the other. IMHO that’s hog-wash, because if THAT WAS true, then Doctors – heck the medical community – would say “Operation A is the best. All the others aren’t – so let’s stick with Operation A".

Know I (and all of us) are here if you need.

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 4/22/11 1:12 am - Duluth, MN
Wow, I was told NO CAFFEINE AT ALL! If I REALLY wanted coffee (which I do not drink very often), I was told to dilute even the decaf with 1/2 water. That tasted HORRIBLE to me! LOL Obviously I did not have to wean off of it since I drink so seldom. Now, Lipton DIET Green Tea with Citrus is another story. That USED TO BE my "go to" liquid of choice. It is not carbonated BUT it has caffeine, so can not have it anymore...Oh well, I know there are other things I can drink to stay full AND healthy.

~Kim~

Tom C.
on 4/22/11 1:38 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Kim,

As always, each Doctor/Nutritionist has different views/rules. With that said, most agree in the beginning there should be no caffeine in our liquids.

The reasoning is because we need to take in 64 ounces of liquids in daily. Caffeine is a diuretic, and makes us expel water. In order to compensate, one would need to drink 2 ounces of non-caffeinated  for every 1 ounce of caffeinate drink they consume. So a person drinking an 8 ounce of caffeine would need to drink an additional 16 ounces of non-caffeine just to get to the “0" starting point.

Since most people have issues getting 64 ounces in, especially in the beginning, requiring them to have an additional 16 (if not more) ounces of liquid in would be dreadful.

After 6 months, some Doctors will tell their patients they are permitted to have some caffeine, but they need to offset it. Other Doctor’s stay NEVER have caffeine.

And I've known Doctors who permit carbonated drinks. Funny how it's all open for individual interpretation.

Since caffeine is addicting, I was trying to suggest to Purple39lady to ween herself off instead of going cold turkey. Especially since she hasn’t had the operation yet.This way it reduces the body’s withdrawal period.

Love to see you’re looking out for your bariatric sibling!!!

Tom

Kim H.
on 4/22/11 2:36 am - Duluth, MN
Tom,
I did not mean to imply that you were wrong. Interpretations are different. I see that in the amount of food per meal I am supposed to have:ONE oz of protein only and 15 g of some (good) carb. double-checked the protein amt with my nutritionist and I was correct: one ounce. I love meat and all types of protein so maybe someday I can/will be increasing it but fornow I listen to my "team".
We do all have to look out for each other, don't we? Have a great day!

~Kim~

Tom C.
on 4/22/11 2:58 am, edited 4/22/11 2:59 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Kim,

Just know, I never take anything personally (even if directly directed at me). I just like to clarify things for those newbies who may be asking "well I heard THIS and now he's saying THAT".

You, my friend, have been very diligent in not only keeping up on your own success, but helping others. We're lucky and blessed to have you here!!

Tom

Most Active