getting smaller servings

dlee40
on 4/11/11 5:02 am, edited 4/11/11 5:11 am - TX
My doctor's office gave me a little (business-card size) card that says I have had weight-loss surgery and requesting that I be allowed to order from the child's menu. Do any of you have such a card and have you been able to use it? That is, have restaurants let you order off the child's menu?

Thanks as always.

Hislady
on 4/11/11 5:19 am - Vancouver, WA
Restaurants do not have to honor those cards and the child's menu is usually not very healthy food. You would do better to just order an appetizer or just ask for a to go box up front and put half your meal (or more) in there. If you are a regular someplace they may let you get smaller portions for less but they are not required to. Many of us don't want to let the whole world know we had WLS so don't use them anyway.
Considering_It
on 4/11/11 6:46 am
Truthfully, there isn't anything on the children's menu that appeals to me, or that I could eat comfortably.  I usually order a salad w/ an appy or 2 appys and wrap up what's left (if there is anything left!).
Also, I am very private about my surgery - most people in my life do not know...I would't be sharing this medical info with total strangers!
Best wishes whatever you decide to do.
Kim H.
on 4/11/11 7:07 am - Duluth, MN
I used it and they honored it where I went. My card says also the senior menu, but where I went there was no senior menu just a senior discount. The children's menu usually is no the best, that is, the food choices are not very wise/healthy for us. Good luck to you.

~Kim~

mmrh809
on 4/12/11 6:36 am - FAIR LAWN, NJ
Houlihans has a new section called small portions on the regular menu. It is about half of an app and the perfect size-healthy too--love it
Michelle

Amy B.
on 4/12/11 11:17 am
 I have the card, but haven't used mine yet. I've just ordered regular sized meals and taken them home or share with my husband, though he has much more adventurous taste buds than I do. I will say, however, with Michelle Obama's health initiative, I have noticed more and more restaurants transitioning to healthier options on the kid's menu. Many have grilled chicken or shrimp with vegetables.
Most Active