Amount of food

Amy B.
on 4/8/11 12:11 pm
I understand that every doctor is different and am not asking for advice as much as I'm just curious. My doctor said once the band is at the correct fill, I should be eating about 1/2 cup of food three times/day. Well, I do get full much quicker than I used to, but I feel like after 1/2 cup, I am still not satisfied. I also feel like I'm not losing weight when I eat ANY carbs at all. Basically, I'm eating turkey rollups (just turkey and cheese, no bread) instead of sandwiches. I'm eating the teriyaki chicken and broccoli, but no rice. I'm basically getting a TON of protein, but am scared to eat carbs as it stops my weight loss or increases my weight. I feel like I am eating too much because it takes more than 1/2 cup at meals to satisfy me and I am then I still need a small snack to make it until the next meal. Is 1/2 cup a typical amount recommended after the surgery?
One day at a time.  
Kim H.
on 4/8/11 1:24 pm, edited 4/8/11 1:25 pm - Duluth, MN
1/2 cup is also what I have been told and I agree with you it is not quite enough to satisfy me either. I just had my first fill about a week or so ago, and will get another one at the end of April. I too am scared of carbs and am driving myself crazy trying to get in all the protein I am supposed to ..that and the 64 oz of fluid (I KNOW Tom, set a watch, sip all day haha)I guess I am not offering advice(you did not want that anyway) I am just letting you know you are not alone. I had my surgery 2/28/11. And I just started on the "maintenance diet" about a week ago.

~Kim~

Amy B.
on 4/8/11 8:39 pm
 Thanks, Kim. I think I'm going to call my nutritionist on Monday and see if I need to come in earlier for a fill. My next one isn't until May 1st which will be 6 weeks since the first one.
One day at a time.  
Kim H.
on 4/9/11 12:53 am - Duluth, MN
Good luck to you. Keep us posted!

~Kim~

Tom C.
on 4/8/11 5:40 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet.

When it came to the amount of food to take in, my Doctor/Nutritionists never stressed “cup" size, but more about “ounces". They suggested in the beginning to eat 4 ounces of protein. However when I first had the operation I noticed if I ate 4 ounces of protein I didn’t feel full - however if I ate 6 ounces I did. I spoke to my Doctor about it. FOR ME he said that those “numbers" are somewhat guidelines. He went on to explain there are some folks who feel full on 2 ounces of protein while some need 6 or 8. He also explained that the calories intake should not be too much of a concern in the beginning. The way he explained it to me was: Prior the operation I may have been taken 3,000 calories per day. After the operation, with the amount of food I was taking in - I may have been taking in 1700 calories. While that’s 500 calories more then the recommended daily allotment - it was actually 1300 calories less then what I normally took in. So not only was I loosing weight, but was also feel full. We need to worry about calories when out weight slows downs/stops or starts going up. *** DISCLAIMER ALERT *** TALK TO THE DOCTOR/NUTRITION BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGE YOUR INTAKE.

As for carbs, over the years I’ve learned (especially while being on Atkins Diet) you need to take in carbohydrates. There are simple and complex carbohydrates. And each category has “good" carbs and “bad" (starchy/processed) carbs, so be careful.

Simple

• Simple carbohydrates are also known as simple sugars. These simple carbs give the body a quick energy boost. Natural sugar from fruit, table sugar and sugar from milk (yogurt) all fall into this category. It’s best to have simple sugar from fruit or milk  (yogurt) then from table sugar.

Complex

• Fiber and starch are complex carbs that take longer for the body to digest. Vegetables, breads, rice, whole grains and pasta are examples of complex carbohydrates. It’s best to have vegetables. Also whole grains type of products (bread, rice, pasta) is best then having “white" (processed) type of products (bread, rice, pasta).

A stall (not losing weight)
can be caused by eating (a) too much (b) not enough. I know it sounds a little contradictory, and I will try to explain.

Too much: While we need to make sure we hit our protein requirements (60-80 grams, or whatever your Doctor told you), we need to make sure the carbs, calories, etc are “acceptable". Remember, you don’t want to make your 80 grams of protein by eating 4 gallons of ice cream or a starchy carb. Use common sense.

Not enough: Again, make sure you are meeting your daily protein requirements. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Amy B.
on 4/8/11 8:39 pm
 Thanks, Tom! I knew you could explain it :)
Most Active