Scar size

Mary A.
on 4/8/11 4:21 pm
Hi fellow realizers,

I had my laparoscopic Realize band surgery on 3/14/11, and a couple of days ago, during my first post-op visit, the doctor took off all bandages from the scars.  Then I noticed that one of the scars (near the port) is about 2.5 inches long.  The other 4 scars are tiny, but this one is not...  Does anybody else have something similar? 

Thank you!

Tom C.
on 4/8/11 5:42 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
My port scar was indeed longer then the other 4. However over time my scars went away, and I can't tell where they were. Not saying this happens to everyone, but it did for me.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 4/8/11 8:24 pm - Duluth, MN
Yes that is my experience, also. The 4 small ones as I understand it are the laparoscopic scars. My husband had his gall bladder removed recently laparoscopically and he has the same 4 small scars. My incision near my port, also is about 2.5 inches long. I have had a number of abdominal surgeries so the surgeon "put" some of those small scars on top of other existing scars. He said to me after surgery, "did you notice how I overlapped a scar or 2 on existing scars? I figured you had enough belly scars , you would appreciate not having 4 more noticeable ones." I laughed, but then told him how grateful for that I was.

~Kim~

Amy B.
on 4/8/11 8:33 pm
 My port scar is also about 2.5 inches. I can't see the others anymore, but the port scar is visible. I will say that my doctor used glue, not stitches and it looked MUCH worse at first. Once the glue came off, it looked a lot better. It has been about 6 weeks since my surgery and now it just looks like a thin red line. I'm told that may even go away too. Good luck!
One day at a time.  
Kim H.
on 4/8/11 8:36 pm - Duluth, MN
Yep me too! The port scar is a very clean , even cut. Looks a lot better then some of my previous scars. Even the small ones are not as noticeable now as they were right after surgery(2/28/11) and the ones he put with previous scars, well, they have already blended in.

~Kim~

CROSS6901
on 4/9/11 5:07 am
My port scar is 2" and has faded so much that I hardly notice anymore.  the other three incisions are completly invisble now.  I am six months out from surgery.  My doctor used glue to close all the incisions as well. 

One small note... I did apply Mederma daily for a while.  Merderma is a scar cream that you can buy over the counter at any pharmacy.  This could be why my scars are so faded.
Carla
Mary A.
on 4/9/11 5:37 am
Thank you very much everybody for replying!
Most Active