Had my baby 6 months ago and.........

carolinahunny
on 4/4/11 10:11 am - Bradley, SC
Hey everyone, I got pregnant (huge surprise) 4 months after I had my band surgery. He's now 6 months old and I can't get myself back into good habits. I lost 40lbs in those 4 months, and was so focused. I now weigh what I weighed before I found out I was pregnant, but can't seem to lose anymore. I was at my perfect fill when I found out I was pregnant, and have had my fills after having my baby and am back to my old perfect fill, but it's not working. I just need help, I feel like I have completely forgotten all the "rules" that come with realize band, and I just really need some support.  Any tips, advice ANYTHING would be great. Thanks in advance :)  
Ashley A.
on 4/4/11 4:56 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12
Congrats on the baby! 
Its so easy to forget all the rules at times. I would recommend trying the plateau buster diet. I have done this a few times and it really helped get me back on track and focused. I would also recommend writing everything down that you eat, drink, so you can keep track of it. I don't do this all the time but when I'm really needing to get back on track this helps me stay focused and be accountable for what I'm intaking. I also sometimes find it helpful to plan my meals ahead so I have things prepared. I hate to cook but for me with the band, its really hard to get away with not cooking and being successful with losing weight, so I usually try to plan ahead so I don't have to cook as often. I hope this helps some. What exactly were you doing before that isn't working now?

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

Tom C.
on 4/4/11 10:42 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

CONGRATS ON THE BABY!!! Fantastic news!!

Now with that out of the way, I can be a little gruff. Here is the toughest love you will get .. Yesterday is over and done with. There is nothing we can do about it. Tomorrow is NOW, and it’s time to get yourself back on track.

First – remember this isn’t a diet plan; it’s a way of life. So slips, stumbles and falls will occur. What we do when this happens is truly important. You need to get yourself up, dust yourself off, and get yourself to continue down the road to success.

What you first need to do is ask yourself “Where did I come from" .. then ask yourself “Why did I do this operation" – basically the answer is because it’s a last resort.

You need to realize you are stronger than any craving or any food. It took strength to admit you have a problem you can’t control. It took strength to decide to have an operation. It took strength to do what was needed before and after the operation. It took strength to say “I need help" .. So you have the strength, now you need to call on it.

GET BACK TO THE BASICS !! I tell everyone that. Pretend today was day one of the operation and go back to a strict liquid diet. Do this for a few days (maybe a week), then go onto the next stage of soft food then finally regular food. What you are doing it is detoxing your body of the sugars and bad carbs. When you find yourself hungry – eat .. but SENSIBLE foods. Make sure you also follow all the rules.

You need to go back and follow the rules that made you successful. You need to have the 64 ounces of NON-CARBONATE/DECAFFEINATED liquid. You need to have your 60 to 80 grams of protein. You need to make sure you don’t drink 30 minutes before/after or during your meal. 

What you need to remember is they put the band around your stomach, and not around your brain. You will need to use some self control when it comes to food. If you are hungry stop and ask yourself is this real hunger or head hunger. Asking that alone will probably be an indication it’s head hunger, so you know what to do. Get busy doing something else. If that doesn’t work, EAT – but SOMETHING HEALTHY. Have some salad; vegetables, PROTEIN, etc.

Over the years I have collected some common “rules" one should follow in order to be successful. So far I am up to 25 “universal set of laws" one should heed during their journey (I would love to see this list grow, so please feel free to add to it. Maybe one day this will be adopted as the Constitution of Gastric Success!! :D )

(1) Get your daily Protein requirements in (60 – 80 grams – your Doctor/Nutritionist may have different target amount – so follow their recommendation). Protein requirements change over time (depending upon weight loss stage, amount of exercise, hospitalization, etc). Check with your Doctor/Nutritionist concerning your protein needs.

(2) Protein drinks should be: between 20 and 30 grams of protein per serving (25 is recommended), contain less than 150 calories (110 recommended) contain less than 10 grams of carbohydrates (5 is recommended) (your Doctor/Nutritionist may have different rules – so follow their recommendation).

(3) Remember eat: Protein first, then fiber (ex veggies/fruits) then (if there is room) good (NON-starchy) carbohydrates.

(4) Drink at least 64 ounces of non-carbonated/non-caffeinated liquid.

(5) No drinking while eating and/or 30 minutes before and/or after meals (your Doctor/Nutritionist may have different rules – so follow their recommendation)

(6) You must east to lose weight!! Yes I know this a strange concept but if you don’t, your body will go into “starvation mode" and “store all it can".

(7) Each meal should take at least 25 to 30 minutes to complete. Studies show it takes this long for your stomach to tell your brain it’s full – no matter how much food is in it.

(8) Eat at the same time everyday

(9) Eat until you are full, not stuffed

(10) Wait 30 to 60 seconds between putting another piece food in your mouth

(11) Make sure foods (especially meats) are moist

(12) Before you put that piece in your mouth, ask yourself “Would I give this size to a baby?"

(13) Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew- Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew- Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew- Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew- Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew- Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew-Chew (at least 30 times, or until it feels like baby food consistency)

(14) Take your vitamins !!

(15) Remember, during the operation they put the tool around your stomach, and not your brain. So, you will need to do some self control.

(16) Exercise – begin slow (example walk; climbing a flight of stairs; park in the furthest spot in the lot) and then gradually increase. My suggestion do two days; rest a day; do two days; rest a day; do two days

(17) If you feel like “snacking" do something else (ex. Go outside; call a (WLS) friend; come to the board and post, etc)

(18) Participate in a support group!!! It is a fact that those who attend supports groups have increased weight loss long term!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(19) ok .. a little gross and try to figure out what I am saying .. What you think may be a “GAS" may come out as a “Liquid" or “Solid" .. so BE CAREFUL and BE PREPARED !!

(20) Remember to speak to your Doctor/Nutritionist regularly. 

(21) Speak to your Psychiatrist/Psychologist at least twice a year, especially when the “honeymoon" stage is  over.

(22) Keep your surgeon appointments.

(23) At specified intervals, get your blood-work done. Check with your Doctor.

(24) Shop the perimeter of the supermarkets.

(25) If you can’t pronounce the ingredients – don’t buy it!!

(26) Know I am always here for you :D

Finally (yes I am playing this card) – if for no other reason, think of your Baby and your and their future. Don’t you want to be there when they go to school; graduate; marry; have children? What about if they run towards the street, or want to run/play or go on a ride with you? This may be the just the motivation you need.

Congrats again, and know we’re here for you!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
CROSS6901
on 4/6/11 1:58 am
What wonderful, caring and common sense advice.  I check OH every morning when I get to work for my daily "inspiration" and I always enjoy seeing posts from you.  Keep up the good work Tom!
Carla
Tom C.
on 4/6/11 3:30 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
a humble and blushing THANK YOU!!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
carolinahunny
on 4/5/11 1:03 am - Bradley, SC

Thanks to both of you for your advice. Just hearing what others had to say has already motivated me! I've just had a really hard time setting my mind to it. I was soooooo focused at the beginning and can't seem to get back there. After reading all your rules Tom, and what you wrote, it brought tears to my eyes. I know that I CAN do it. I've done it before. I just have literally felt like I had no idea what to do. I'm so excited to start on this now :) Thanks again to both of you for your suggestions. I will probably constantly be on this message board now just for support, since I can't always make the local support meetings bc they are an hour away and have 2 small kids.

Tom C.
on 4/5/11 4:48 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Come back as often as you need. You know we're always here for you.

And really needed, send me a PM and I will give you my contact information if that would help. By the way, I don't do #2 dirty diapers - so I can't help you there.

Tom

crystal M.
on 4/5/11 11:03 am - Joliet, IL
Tom

I love the "if you can't pronounce it"  that is perfect.  I myself have switched to organic, whole foods.  I stick to the basics and make home made.  No more prepackaged or frozen meals for me.
Kim H.
on 4/5/11 11:08 am - Duluth, MN
my husband and I do not use prepackaged or frozen meals either, with the exception of SOME frozen vegetables.

~Kim~

Kim H.
on 4/5/11 9:13 am - Duluth, MN
congratulations on the birth of your baby! Tom knows his stuff, so , pay attention to him. I read it all, and I got a lot out of it , too. THANKS TOM!!

~Kim~

Most Active