QUESTION ABOUT CARBS VS. NET CARBS

Amy B.
on 3/31/11 9:30 am
Hi Everyone!

I just tried to look up how to calculate net carbs, but it doesn't add up the way it should according to the Atkins Advantage shakes and protein bars. Example: The calculator said you take total carbs and subtract the grams of fiber to determine the net carbs. On the Chocolate Peanut Butter Atkins Protein Bar, however, it has 22 grams of total carbs and 10 grams of fiber which would lead one to think it has 12 net carbs. On the front of the box, however, it claims 2 net carbs. Other than the fiber it shows 1 gram sugar and 10 grams sugar alcohol. Any idea why this is?

Amy 
One day at a time.  
Tom C.
on 3/31/11 10:10 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

With Atkins, a net carb is the amount of carbohydrates present in a diet after the fiber, polydextrose, glycerin and sugar alcohol have been subtracted from it.

Since there is 10 grams of sugar alcohol, subtract that from your 12 and you now have 2.

http://www.brighthub.com/health/diet-nutrition/articles/1197 0.aspx

http://www.atkins.com/science/sciencearticleslibrary/article detail.aspx?articleId=48

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Amy B.
on 3/31/11 10:50 am
 Thanks, Tom! That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. Do you think all net carbs are actually counted that way? I just know that the Atkins products were recommended by my surgeon and wouldn't think they would suggest something so high in total carbs.
One day at a time.  
Tom C.
on 3/31/11 4:48 pm, edited 3/31/11 7:40 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
  Always consult your Doctor/Nutritionists before changing your eating habits:

While I understand you're allowed Atkins products, IMHO in the beginning don’t be too concerned/worry about “calories, fats, sugars, carbs, net-carbs, etc". Make sure you are getting your PROTEIN. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. In the future you can worry about all those other things, but for now - WORRY ABOUT THE PROTEIN.

Protein suppliments (drinks) should be between 20 and 30 grams of protein per serving (25 is recommended), contain less than 150 calories (110 recommended) contain less than 10 grams of carbohydrates (5 is recommended) (your Doctor/Nutritionist may have different rules – so follow theirs)

Now don’t get me wrong - I don’t want you to eat a bag of chips, or whole cheesecake or drink tons of ice cream shakes in order to get protein in. You need to use some common sense :) !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
crystal M.
on 3/31/11 10:43 am - Joliet, IL
I don't have much to add because Tom explained it all .  I just wanted to add my my personal preference.  I don't go by net carbs.  I guess I feel like I am cheating and trying to find away to eat more carbs.  I just go by the carbs listed on the nutritional label.  Sugar alcohol is good to limit as much as possible. 
Amy B.
on 3/31/11 10:49 am
 Thanks. I've been looking at whole carbs too, but want to a deli tonight and had limited options. I just wanted to make sure I was making the best choice.
One day at a time.  
Most Active