Port pain

wheezygirl
on 3/29/11 5:07 am
 I will be 1 week post op  tomorrow (March 29th). Everything is going great with the exception of my port pain! It is sore during the day and very tolerable but at night when I go to bed I toss and turn and can not get comfortable. Whether on my back or left side (Port side ha ha!) it feels like it is pulling and just throbs. I can't even think of laying on my right side, way too painful. The last two nights I have had to get up after a few hours and sleep in a chair. 

I see the doc tomorrow for my follow up but I thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has had the same experience.

TIA!
Amy B.
on 3/29/11 7:10 am
 I haven't had anything as difficult as what you're describing, but I did have some port pain at first and occasionally do now. With me, if I'm stretched out, it is better. When I'm sitting and hunched over, it's much more uncomfortable. On the plus side, my posture has gotten better. As bad as you're hurting now, I'm glad you have an appointment tomorrow. If not, I would have recommended at least a call into the doctor. Keep us posted. I'm sure there are others on here with similar issues.
One day at a time.  
Farmgirl58
on 3/29/11 7:47 am - AL
Hi, just remember you had surgery on your stomach which has major muscles and it will take time for all the excision sites to heal.  Also there is swelling of the surgical sites while healing, part of the healing process.  It can take 6 to 8 weeks to heal and be more comfortable. Be patient, don't over do it with excercise, or food.  Follow your doctor's orders and if it is still persistant, gets worse, very red and hot...then I would contact the doctor's office and talk with the nurse.  Congratulations on taking the first steps to a new you...you will be very pleased with the results of your surgery.  I have lost so far about 60 lbs.  Still have more to lose, but like the old saying goes..Rome was not built in one day!    Have a good day.

Farmgirl58
Country
on 3/29/11 9:26 am
Farmgirl.. you really have some encouraging words!!

Appreciate them all!!

Country -v

wheezygirl
on 3/29/11 10:04 am
 Thank you for the responses! I am curious to see what Dr White says tomorrow. I do think it is a matter of giving myself some time to heal. I over did it a little yesterday and that probably didn't help matters. 
 Thanks again and I will let you know what he says.
Mary A.
on 3/30/11 3:16 am
Hi there,

I am 2 weeks and 2 days after my surgery, and I too am having pain at the port site.  However, after about 2 weeks it became a little better.   Like you said, in the first 2 weeks I could sleep only on my back, but the last couple of days I can turn (carefully) without screaming :-). So, don't be discouraged, it should get better.   What did your Dr. say?

You are doing great - you've lost 15 lb, this is a great achievement already!  Did you lost all this weight after your surgery, or did you lose some before?  In any case, great job - keep it up!

wheezygirl
on 3/30/11 10:39 am
 Update: The doc said everything was progressing just fine! The pain I am having is normal and should ease up over the next few weeks. Last night I used a heating pad on low and that seemed to help quite a bit.
 I weighed in 20 lbs down from my preop appt in mid Feb! I lost 4 lbs before my preop diet, 6lbs during the preop diet and 10 lbs since surgery 1 week ago. I also was approved to move on to soft foods. I'm thinking some refried beans thinned with a little salsa sounds good!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and kind words, It is greatly appreciated!
Tom C.
on 3/31/11 12:47 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
CONGRATS on your lost !!! You're doing great!!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
carriesb
on 3/30/11 6:25 pm
I slept in my recliner when the port pain and incision pain bothered me.
mmrh809
on 3/31/11 7:34 am - FAIR LAWN, NJ
be careful. Is it red? I had cellulitus and wound up in the hospital for 2 nights. If it spreads  they might have to take the band out to treat it so DON"T WAIT!!!!
Michelle
Michelle

Most Active