Eating Protein First

Amy B.
on 3/26/11 11:11 am
I'm having a little difficulty with the whole "eating proteins first" thing. Does that mean that when I make stir fry for my family, does that mean I have to eat the chicken first? Do I have to eat the peanut butter before having the bread when making a sandwich? Do I need to eat the ground turkey first, then eat the noodles and sauce for spaghetti? This has been my biggest obstacle and any advice would be greatly appreciated!
One day at a time.  
Kim H.
on 3/26/11 6:40 pm - Duluth, MN
The reason you must eat the protein first is that it makes you stay full. I am sure it does not mean you have to have a peanut butter sandwich in stages, and I am sure it is ok to eat spaghetti as a complete meal and as far as the stir fry, to tell you the truth, I personally WOULD pick out the chicken and eat it first. lol Meat happens to be something I really love! Can anyone else offer uo some suggestions for awbeane?

~Kim~

Amy B.
on 3/27/11 12:42 am
 Thanks, Kim. I'm with you on the meat. That's why I thought it would be so easy. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how many carbs I'm used to eating WITH that meat. My goal this week is to be very mindful of my protein vs. carb intake.
One day at a time.  
Tom C.
on 3/27/11 2:57 am, edited 3/27/11 2:58 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
>> My goal this week is to be very mindful of my protein vs. carb intake.<<

Just my 2 cents, and as always consult with your Doctor/Nutritionist before altering your plan, in the beginning just worry about hitting your protein numbers, and nothing else. If you do this, then everything will follow.

When I first started on this journey I was drove myself crazy because I first worried about the calories, then the carbs, then the sugar, then the sodium, then .. well .. whatever else we're told is bad for us. I was in such a panic I didn't know what I could/should eat. I called both my Doctor & Nutritionists - and they were basically on the same page. They both said, in the beginning hitting the Protein numbers is what is important. It not only will keep us full, but fill us up so we'll naturally eat smaller portions of those other things.

After time, when your weight slows/stops/increases, then that's when it's time to worry about carbs, calories, etc. Remember, your Doctor/Nutritionist may have different views, so consult with them before altering your plan

With that said, you do need to use some common sense - you don't want to eat 15 pounds of cheesecake to get the proper amount of protein.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Tom C.
on 3/26/11 10:47 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Protein is the key to losing weight. Protein is what the body needs to remain healthy, and one of those components it cannot manufacture from other parts of foods (like sugar; carbohydrates, etc).

When the say eat PROTEIN FIRST – what is meant is, if possible, eat the Protein first OR make the Protein the MOST IMPORTANT PART of the meal. In the stir fry, I do try to make sure I eat more of the chicken (or meat) compared to the rest of the vegetables. If I am having (whole wheat) macaroni and meatballs, I do make sure I eat my meatballs first OR I have a small portion of macaroni, then have my meat, and if I am still hungry then maybe have another small portion of macaroni. I make sure that the PROTEIN is the most important part of the meal.

As Kim said, Protein will keep you fuller – LONGER. Think of sand in a funnel. The Protein is the sand, and moves slowly through the funnel. All other “components" (fiber; sugar, carbs, etc), break down quicker and moves through the funnel faster – like a liquid through a funnel.

Did this explain it? If not, let me know and I’ll try to clarify better.

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Amy B.
on 3/27/11 12:37 am
 Thanks, Tom. This DID explain it. That probably explains why I have been getting hungry between meals and/or can sometimes eat more than 1/2 a cup of food. I just had an egg white omelette with reduced fat mozzarella cheese and two pieces of turkey bacon. I admit that I feel much fuller than I have when eating carbs with my food. Thanks for the insight! 
One day at a time.  
crystal M.
on 3/27/11 8:43 am - Joliet, IL
Tom-  I really like your funnel comparison....what a perfect example.  I might use that next time I'm trying to explain the importance of eating protein first. 
Tom C.
on 3/27/11 10:32 am, edited 3/27/11 10:55 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Here is my other “sand & funnel" analogy and it deals with Drinking with meals …

At the beach, when a child pours sand into a funnel it takes a while for the sand to come out. Nice and slow.

However if the child pours water onto the sand, the sand liquefies and comes spewing out of the funnel quickly. Same thing happens when you drink with your meal. The liquid pushes the solids through the “band funnel" quicker. We want to remain full the longest we can.

Feel free to steal it if you like. I know I did :D

Tom

Kim H.
on 3/27/11 10:46 am - Duluth, MN
I LIKE that Tom! And, I do plan to borrow that from you. so glad you gave permission to do so LOL..

~Kim~

crystal M.
on 3/26/11 11:04 pm - Joliet, IL
Now the advice I am giving you is what I personally do and does not mean what you are doing is completely wrong.

I have made choices in my eating during my weight loss phase to insure that I lose weight in a timely manner.  I don't have an issue choosing what to eat protein or bread/pasta.  The reason is I don't eat bread or pasta.  Bread and pasta (especially white bread and pasta is a simple carb) simply put these carbs are more likely to be stored as fat rather than burn as a fuel...unless you are going to go out jogging right after you eat.  I am not saying I don't eat any carbs...I pick and chose my carbs.  I eat wheat crackers instead of bread with my peanut butter.  Instead of bread I have a wheat tortilla.  One slice of bread is around 20 carbs and I stay under 40 so that is half my daily intake of carbs.  The question about how to eat your protein is not a problem for me.  I make only protein and veggies to eat.  So for instance instead of making cheeseburgers and fries, I eat a turkey burger with cheese (no bun) and carrot sticks.  If you make your family chicken Parmesan I would eat the chicken and not eat the pasta...instead of the pasta I would make a veggie.  

Excess carbs in our diet is what made us fat.  We need to rethink how we eat our meals.  They can be eaten in a delicious low carb/ high in complex carbs.  This way of thinking has changed my life.  I have lost 140 lbs so far.  Some people want to be able to keep eating all of their favorite foods and lose weight and keep it off...and most of the time it just doesn't work that way.      
Most Active