FIRST ADJUSTMENT...and other stuff

Amy B.
on 3/22/11 9:44 am
I had my first adjustment yesterday. It was much easier than I thought and was really cool. I didn't realize (no pun intended) that I would be able to actually see the barium (yuck!) go into my pouch and empty in to my stomach like that. The doctor did decide to add some saline which I felt was going to be necessary as I had pretty much stabilized. Going back to liquids for 2 days has not been easy, but I just keep thinking "real food tomorrow." 

As for the "other stuff," I had a follow up appointment with my referring doctor today and he was very glad to see how much I'd lost already. He seemed much more knowledgable than I had realized. He wasn't aware, however, that I had the band and not RNY. He said I was his only patient to go that route. I have noticed there is somewhat of a stigma that goes with the band, but am not sure why? Even the surgeon's office seemed surprised that I would go that route even though they are the ones who give all the options. Just seems a little strange to me. 

Either way, I've lost 27 pounds and feel fantastic!

One day at a time.  
Tom C.
on 3/22/11 10:01 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Let me be the first to officially call your a LOSER !! And ain't it GREAT ??!?!?!? CONGRATS!! You're doing fantastic!!! 

As for the stigma, I know what you mean. No offense to our bariatric siblings, but some feel the bypass allows a quicker lost compared to the band. In the beginning, one may need to "work their band" to get the same results as a bypass patient gets. But it can be done - I know first handily.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Amy B.
on 3/22/11 8:05 pm
 Thanks, Tom! I personally was excited to have a little slower weight loss. I just think it's better for your body over all, but I guess to each his own!
One day at a time.  
Tom C.
on 3/22/11 11:47 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

I am soooo happy to read this, because I agree with you. Slow and steady wins the race.

IMHO (and there is no scientific fact) the slower you lose, the less chance of having vast amounts of loose skin. You’ll have some, but less. AGAIN, ALL ME – I feel if you lose too rapidly, the body doesn’t have time to compensate. Again, I may be smoking crack (sorry if that offends some), but that’s what I think.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 3/22/11 10:43 pm - Duluth, MN
Very cool!!! I have heard from people with both the bypass and the band..the bypass people I know have gained their weight back or have not lost since right after surgery, and the band people I know are doing GREAT!!

~Kim~

Most Active