Beer...Alcohol? what is your opinion or if you tried it? please help!!

rawkonchic
on 3/21/11 10:04 am - IL

So i know...I know...No carbonated drinks or alcohol but once the summer hits, i like to have a cold one no and then but i am not sure. Has any tried it or still drink it? If you did, what happened? Not a major drunk, just wondering.

crystal M.
on 3/21/11 10:57 am - Joliet, IL
My doctor absolutely forbids beer and liquor...red wine is ok.  I choose to follow the rule of no liquid calories while I'm still losing weight.  So I drink no coffee, soda, beer, juice, milk...so on.  It adds a lot of extra calories to your day without ever filling you up.  I was tempted to have a pina' colada awhile bac****il I found out it was 550 calories!!!  Nope it's just not worth it for me.  Everyone has their own threshold of what they allow. 
Tom C.
on 3/21/11 11:01 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I'm not going to tell you to have one or not - it's all up to you. Can you have one, probably. Should you have one, maybe. Will you have one, only you know that.

My advice, speak frankly with your Doctor and Nutritionists to see what they say. MINE say, NEVER is a vvvveeeerrrryyyy llllloooonnnnnggggg time - so use common sense.

For me, I did not cheat the first year of my operation. I felt I did not EARN the right. You may be different.

My biggest question, if you decide to have a beer - can you actually have just one or will this lead to something else? 

Similar, but different, for me I cannot eat peanut butter because I know if I do, it will be a trigger for me. So you need to know what your triggers are.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Hislady
on 3/21/11 2:07 pm - Vancouver, WA
I can't comfortably drink anything carbonated it makes me burp and feel miserable from the gas. Also remember you will tend to get high faster now no matter what you drink so be very careful, it can sneak up on you. Only you can make that ultimate choice but myself I prefer a big glass of ice water much more quenching.
Kim H.
on 3/22/11 12:46 am - Duluth, MN
I was told no to liquor, carbonated drinks, milk(except a LITTLE in cereal), coffee, juice. It is better to eat your calories than to drink them . Also as was pointed out, it will not take as much to get you high or buzzed, so IMO it is just not worth it. But, again, it is up to you and your doctor.

~Kim~

Kate -True Brit
on 3/27/11 4:20 am - UK

As another poster said, never is a very long time! I have no "nevers" in my eating plan. Lots of not very oftens, but no nevers!

Alcohol - sure, not all that often but I have a good social life and alcohol is often offered. Empty calories but as long as you are aware of that - no problem! (But not right at the start of your banded life! Give it a while to get used to your band!)

Carbonated drinks - used to be forbidden by almost all docs but, I understand, it was a just-in-case thing. Studies have not borne out the idea that it could harm us (but I am not a doc!!). But it can be painful! For me it can cause a sort of "hard" burp! So I let drinks stand for a while and then jsut sip them.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active