What did you do to adjust?

RobinJoy13601
on 3/19/11 11:42 pm
My surgery date is right around the corner.  Im sure I'll have to start the liquid part of my pre-op after my next appointment.  How did everyone adjust at home?  What I am wondering, did you sit at the table with the rest of your family?  Or did you disconnect yourself from meal time and do your own thing?  This is a huge concern of mine since we always sit together at mealtime and Im thinking already I will have some issues with taking myself away from the table while everyone else is there.  Any suggestions would be great!!
crystal M.
on 3/20/11 12:36 am - Joliet, IL
Hello

I didn't have the same problems as you.  My daughter is grown now and I live by myself.  Your question made me realize how lucky I was not having to be presented with this challenge at home.  But I can tell you that after surgery I am presented with situations constantly where people at work, home, out with friends are eating things that are high in calories, simple carbs, and fat...I have to be strong enough to resist eating all of this stuff and eat what I know is healthier and helps me to continue t lose weight.   So I would look at it as "practice" for life after your Band.  A lot of people think that they only have to follow the rules while losing weight but really these are rules for a lifetime.  In order to lose weight and keep it off you need to change your habits and lifestyle forever.  This can be the beginning of your new life as a skinnier and healthier you!!!  I'm sure you can do it.  Good luck!!!   
rawkonchic
on 3/20/11 8:20 am - IL
When i was at work, it was hard to sit with everyone having their normal things and me having to have my slimfast or jello and such but after a couple of days i was fine. I think you should try it and see what happens. If it's too hard, then maybe you should just take a walk or something while they are eating. I tried whatever i could. Believe me, it was not easy. I am not going to lie. I had my surgery March 4th. And i am happy for everything that i did. Have a great journey. And stay in touch.

Tom C.
on 3/20/11 10:38 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

RobinJoy13601,

Here is my question to you – how well are you with temptation and deferment?

For me there was no problem, and I was able to sit at the table. The reason, for me, was I realize this was my last chance at weight loss and life, and I was going to do anything I needed to do to win this battle. I also realized that these stages were “temporary" and one day I will be able to eat “normal foods", in much smaller portions, with the family. So, eating soups while the rest of the family ate “normal" foods were not an issue.

However if you think you will have issues, then I would suggest eating by yourself. It will be a temporary thing – 3-4 weeks (maybe longer in some cases). But once over the “hurdles" you can go back to normal table eating.

Remember you need to do whatever you need to do in order to be successful.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 3/20/11 5:41 pm - Duluth, MN
It is just myself and my husband at home, and we sat together, even while I was on the liquid phase. I faced a "challenge" when I attended a funeral during my liquid phase. I brought my own high protein, and sat with everyone at the table while we ate and visited. I thought it was gonna be difficult, but it was not so bad. I also attended another function at church during the 2 weeks after the surgery, when we had a meet and greet with our new pastor. There was bars, and punch. I , again, brought my own high protein supplement and chatted..there was, however someone sitting right in front of the "treats" table, so I did not have to look at all the goodies. I would not disconnect yourself. Like was mentioned , this will become a lifestyle change , but just the eating, not the gathering with family. They all should understand that the 2 weeks is just something you have to do to prepare yourself for a successful surgery. I am not an expert. I am only 3 weeks out from surgery..I am just relaying my experience/opinion. Hope all goes well for you.

~Kim~

RobinJoy13601
on 3/20/11 11:15 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I know this is going to be real difficult and its going to be a huge change of life.  My husband as well says, its right around the corner and we all are going to change, which is true.  Im sure you all have felt the feelings I have going through my head at this time.  My whole life has revolved around food. From the time I was real young I was overeating.  I have always lived to eat, where I should be eating to live.  Im so ready to face this change now and willing to do what it takes to be healthy.  After surgery I think when I get back to regular foods Im hoping it won't be as difficult since I will be eating the same things just a smaller portion than before. 
Most Active