Mashed Potato "No nutritional value"??!?!?!? - CLARIFICATION!!!

Tom C.
on 3/14/11 7:39 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

After receiving a few personal email messages concerning my Mashed potato comment, I think I may have misrepresent what I was trying to say. So I would like to clarify my comments.

I will admit I have used poor choice words for potatoes not having nutritional value. Of course potatoes do have nutritional value. What I should have clarified is (based on what various Nutritionists told me) mashed (white) potatoes, especially in the beginning, should be avoided since what bariatric patients needs are PROTEIN enriched soft/mushy foods, something that potatoes lack in.

Also, the various Nutritionists I deal with will recommend eating a sweet potato (or yam) over a regular white potato, because sweet potatoes (yams) have a lower Glycemic index. They feel that eating a high Glycemic food will increase your hunger desire, and also will shorten that “full" feeling compared to either a lower glycemic, or PROTEIN enriched, food. Of course, you will find many who disagree with this.

So if your Nutritionist is happy with mashed potato, who am I to argue?

While I am honor some have stated I am some sort of guru, I will be the first to admit I am not. I am a layman, who is giving advice that has been given to me, and works for me. That’s why I make sure my “signature" includes" The views expressed are based on my own experiences",

Also, never hesitate to voice your counter opinion. I have no problem with that, in fact I promote you do this. This is a learning experience for one and all. Over the years, I’ve learned various Doctors/Nutritionists have opposing views. That’s why I always warn to consult with your Doctor/Nutritionist before making any changes.

If my statement was taken as "fact", I am sorry about that. If your Nutritionists is happy recommending you eating mashed potatoes, all I can say is BON APPETIT!!

Tom “just a layman" Casola

Glycemic index: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

White potato vs. Sweet Potato

http://www.janetzappala.com/ask-coach/white-vs-sweet-potatoe s-the-glycemic-index

(White) Potato:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable -products/2770/2

Sweet Potato:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_potato

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable -products/2947/2

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
crystal M.
on 3/14/11 10:40 am - Joliet, IL
I agree with you.  Both my Nut and my surgeon told me no mashed potatoes.  Like you said they have a high glycemic index.  People tend to add butter, cream, gravy and salt to potatoes (thus making them even more unhealthy)  We had the surgery now it's time to change our eating habits.  There are so many things to eat that can be whipped or mashed that i much better for you..and no one can refute that.  Like Tom said switch to sweet potatoes or even cauliflower
Kim H.
on 3/14/11 11:27 pm - Duluth, MN
I never add anything to mine..NOTHING..and now that I can expand on what I do eat, I am pretty sure mashed potatoes will not be a daily thing. I have changed and will continue to change my previous eating habits. I am now learning what 1/2 cup of food looks like.... I am still on pureed foods and will eat LOTS of sweet potatoes now..because they are yummy. But who's to say someone won't put butter, etc on those too. And, as far as mashed potatoes is concerned, as Tom said, we must listen to OUR OWN nutritionist.

~Kim~

crystal M.
on 3/15/11 12:39 am - Joliet, IL
I'm not sure why you are getting so defensive I wasn't talking about you...I was agreeing with what Tom said and said nothing about you.  I still agree with what he posted.  I stay away from foods with a high glycemic index ....things like potatoes, corn and white bread and pasta are some of things I avoid.  I have learned what foods I need to stay away from in order to continue to lose weight.  If I share some knowledge I have just learned (partly because I'm excited to know this info) I like to share it with people.  Some disagree some don't.  You can choose to take what info I spew and not listen to it .... .but why get mad at me for stating info and opinion I learned based on my own struggle...when it has nothing to do with you.  I thought this what this board was for...to give info of what works for you and it does work for me.  I have lost 140+ lbs

Again I said nothing personally about you...what I said has to do with people in general including my own bad habits.
Kim H.
on 3/15/11 8:56 am - Duluth, MN
I am sorry. I was not intending to be defensive or insensitive. I am just so new to this process that it is all so overwhelming. saccept my humble apology. I was at my 2 week post op check with my surgeon today and so far I have lost 30 pounds. I have along way to go, and, contrary to how you perceive my reactions, I DO appreciate everything on this board. Again, please accept my apology. Have a blessed evening.

~Kim~

crystal M.
on 3/15/11 9:55 am - Joliet, IL
No problem.  I am here for anything you need questions or just to vent.  You have a good day too

Good job on the 30 lbs
Kim H.
on 3/15/11 1:08 pm - Duluth, MN
Thanks! Now if someone could help me figure out how to get rid of the graph on the Ticker page so I could do it right, that would be great! Do you know how to delete it so I can start over?

~Kim~

Considering_It
on 3/14/11 11:52 am
Inregards to mashed potatoes, you can add unflavored protein powder and make them more nutritious.

If it's just the consistency that someone is missisg, mashed cauliflower (with or without unflavored protein powder) is an option....

Kim H.
on 3/15/11 8:58 am - Duluth, MN
that sounds like a great idea. Now that I am not on the daily protein liquid diet, I forget about using the protein powder on other things to give them more nutritional value. Thanks!

~Kim~

khrystibug
on 3/15/11 8:01 am - CA
My Surgeon just covered this exact topic Sunday night during his support group. Basically there are the exact # of calories in a g of carbs as there are in a g of protein.

Protein gives you long term energy
Carbs gives you quick "now" energy

If you eat carbs and are not doing something to burn them off -- they get stored.
If you eat protein you have several hours to burn them off and they end up not getting stored, but instead are used as fuel.

"White carbs" (i.e. -- rice, potatoes, etc) are simple and act the same in your body as sugar.
"Complex carbs" (i.e. Veggies) are, well...complex. Due to the high fiber content and take much longer to break down.

I'm in no way telling anyone what to eat or not to eat -- but I sure the heck wouldn't put that kind of junk into my body after going through surgery. If I wanted to continue to eat like that I would have found happiness in being fat.
                                   thebandedlife.bolgspot.com

Most Active