Sipping/gulping

mmrh809
on 3/12/11 2:41 am - FAIR LAWN, NJ
I have big trouble getting water in by sipping---iconfess- I am a gulper!!!!!  Is it really a big deal???
Michelle

Sporki
on 3/12/11 2:59 am - Ravena, NY
Adjustable Gastric Band on 02/28/11
I have the same issue! I am working really hard to sip sip sip, slowly slowly slowly... and most of the time I do good with that but sometimes I just forget and drink like I normally do. I wouldn't call it gulping but it is not these tiny, slow sips either. I was told little sips would be all I would be able to do because of the restriction of the band - but since I have no restriction, I can drink normally and I too wonder if this is a problem??
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."    
Tom C.
on 3/12/11 5:05 am, edited 3/12/11 5:06 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

The reason they don't want you to gulp is because when your band is full, and narrows the "passage way" - there is the tendency to have a "back up issue" (think of pouring too much water into a sink that's slow to drain). Also, there is a chance the "excess water & force" can expand the opening prior to the band - causing you to eat more.

Suggestion from a former gulper - get yourself a "sports bottle" and put your liquids into it. The narrow cap top will force you to drink slower. Or (as silly as it seems) get yourself a sippy cup (for home use).

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
mmrh809
on 3/12/11 5:20 am - FAIR LAWN, NJ
thanks Tom! You always have good advice-I will do that
Michelle

Kim H.
on 3/12/11 4:48 pm - Duluth, MN
He really does, doesn't he?? That is why I call him the WLS guru! Yes, thanks Tom for yet another pearl of wisdom. Keep 'em comin'....

~Kim~

Most Active