Exercise!

wheezygirl
on 3/10/11 10:58 am, edited 3/10/11 11:00 am
My surgery is scheduled for March 23rd. I think I am prepared...I have cleaned out my cupboards of all the bad food and loaded up on what I beleve I will need.
Here's my question...I have just got back into exercising and I HATE it! I enjoy walking and even doing exercise tapes but that is about it. I don't ever see myself being a gym rat with the exception of maybe weight lifting. How many of you have lost significant amounts of weight with walking ? I can walk til the cows come home so that is going to be my preferred method of exercise...

TIA
Tom C.
on 3/10/11 6:11 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

In the beginning that's all I did, and it helped me lose weight. Brisk walking can be as beneficial as jogging.

Also lifting weights will help. In fact you should do one day cardio, one day weights. Will also help with the possibility of loose skin.

Good luck, and remember we're here for you!!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
crystal M.
on 3/10/11 9:27 pm - Joliet, IL

You can make walking a very intense workout.  You can increase the speed and incline on the treadmill...I guarantee that you will be sweating your butt off. 

I start my workout every day on the treadmill.  I started out at 30 minutes a day and now do 60 minutes a day.  After that I do weight lifting.  I alternate days..one day upper body...one day lower body.  Weight lifting is a key factor to weight loss.  Muscle burns calories and fat...the  stronger and leaner the muscle the more calories you burn...the faster your weight loss.  When anyone loses weight they are losing muscle mass too (everyone)...if they aren't weight lifting that muscle is gone.  The less muscle the harder to lose or maintain weight.  So weight lifting is essential to weight loss and weight management. 

I exercise 6 days a week, 90 minutes a day.  I have lost 140 lbs so far...I have about 50-60 more to go.  This has worked for me.  It's good you are asking about exercise.  I see so many people trying to avoid it at all costs.  Good luck     

wheezygirl
on 3/10/11 10:32 pm
 Thanks for responding! I appreciate the feedback and the encouragement. I really enjoy doing weights or a kettlebell workout, I am just not one for the stairmaster, eliptical etc. Hopefully once I start losing weight and building up some endurance that will change!

Amy B.
on 3/11/11 8:12 pm
I have NEVER liked to work out but since my surgery (less than 3 weeks ago), I have been wanting to jog and get into the gym. It sounds crazy, but it's like my interests have even changed with this new energy I now have. A friend of mine who had the bypass surgery told me this would happen, but I absolutely did not believe her!!! In fact, I used to walk 2 laps around the track and I was out of breath, my joints hurt, and I just couldn't make it around again. Last week, I was out-walking my best friend who is 105 lbs. dripping wet. We did 6 laps and I wanted to keep going! Wait until about Easter and then see how you feel. For now, just do what you like.
Kim H.
on 3/11/11 8:25 pm - Duluth, MN
I miss the gym! Before surgery I was there 5 days a week for 2 hours. I did a gentle yoga 2 days, aerobics (low impact) 2 days a week and the recumbent bike and the NuStep 4 days. How soon I can go back I do not know yet. I see the doc on Tues. When I had my initial consult 6 months ago I asked him when I would be able to exercise after the surgery and he laughed and told me I was the first patient (I doubt this though) who asked him about getting BACK to exercise. He said we would talk about it after surgery, so you can guarantee I am gonna ask him on Tuesday. BTW I HATE the eliptical too! lol Good luck to you!

~Kim~

livis_mama
on 3/11/11 5:58 am - Kinston, NC
I didn't like to exercise either.  I got bored really quickly.  I found classes like Zumba and Body Combat are a lot more fun and give you a full hour of cardio.  Before I knew it an hour had passed and I was sweating up a storm.  I actually felt like I did something.  I walk and play the Wii in addition to my classes at the gym for a little extra exercise.  No matter what you chose, you have to enjoy it.  Exercise shouldn't feel like a chore but more like a treat.  Good luck!
Highest- 286  Start- 280  Surgery- 268  Current- 223  Goal- 180    
Kim H.
on 3/11/11 8:27 pm - Duluth, MN
Whee did you get the ticker on your possts which tell highest, goal, current and pre surgery weight? I wanna do that cuz the way I have it set up now the graph is all goofy even. Please tell me how to change it. Thanks!

~Kim~

Most Active