What are the altenatives if powdered protein shakes you know longer like

guided_diamond
on 3/9/11 3:51 am - NORWICH, CT
Revision on 04/02/13
Hi
I was down a 103- and was down to 226 since June I have gained back 30-45 pds back and I ama really upset.  Whey protein shakes taste gross to me and I need to get back to my weight loss and healthy eating.  Any advice would be helpful I do not have a great support system either.
Tom C.
on 3/9/11 4:59 am, edited 3/9/11 5:00 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Ok here is the toughest love you will get .. Yesterday is over and done with. There is nothing we can do about it. Tomorrow is NOW, and it’s time to get yourself back on track.   First – remember this isn’t a diet plan; it’s a way of life. So slips, stumbles and falls will occur. What we do when this happens is truly important. You need to get yourself up, dust yourself off, and get yourself to continue down the road to success.   What you first need to do is ask yourself “Where did I come from" .. then ask yourself “Why did I do this operation" – basically the answer is because it’s a last resort.   You need to realize you are stronger than any craving or any food. It took strength to admit you have a problem you can’t control. It took strength to decide to have an operation. It took strength to do what was needed before and after the operation. It took strength to say “I need help" .. So you have the strength, now you need to call on it.   GET BACK TO THE BASICS !! I tell everyone that. Pretend today was day one of the operation and go back to a strict liquid diet. Do this for a few days (maybe a week), then go onto the next stage of soft food then finally regular food. What you are doing it is detoxing your body of the sugars and bad carbs. When you find yourself hungry – eat .. but SENSIBLE foods. Make sure you also follow all the rules.    You need to go back and follow the rules that made you successful. You need to have the 64 ounces of NON-CARBONATE/DECAFFEINATED liquid. You need to have your 60 to 80 grams of protein. You need to make sure you don’t drink 30 minutes before/after or during your meal.    What you need to remember is they put the band around your stomach, and not around your brain. You will need to use some self control when it comes to food. If you are hungry stop and ask yourself is this real hunger or head hunger. Asking that alone will probably be an indication it’s head hunger, so you know what to do. Get busy doing something else. If that doesn’t work, EAT – but SOMETHING HEALTHY. Have some salad; vegetables, PROTEIN, etc.   You need to get to support groups. Look on line to find ones around you. You need to discuss this with your Doctor. That’s why he’s there. If you feel you’re not getting the support from him, then you need to go to another Doctor. Remember you are the client/consumer. If you’re paying for a service, you want the best service for that money. If not, move on. You are worth THE BEST because YOU ARE THE BEST !!   You also need to speak to a Nutritionist. Many insurance companies allow you to see one X amount of times per year. Contact your insurance company.   Go and speak to the person who did your psych exam, or see someone new. Again, insurance should be able to cover it. Maybe not the person you originally saw, but someone in your plan.   Personally, all last year I yo-yoed with the same 5 pounds. I resolved to myself the reason was because this is where my body was supposed to be. It wasn’t until I did a true person inventory of myself (after a large weight gain  may add) that I realized, I WAS NOT doing what is expected of me, and I need to refocus. I went back to the basics, upped my exercise (yes folks, after a year [or so] you will need to exercise to help you lose); and journal my foods. I gave myself a self-imposed calorie intake of 1300 daily. I am not saying everyone needs to be this extreme, but we DO need to decide on a specific number. Since January 3, I have lost over 30+ pounds (probably closer to 40+ pounds). Sorry to be the pin in the bubble, but we need to be conscience of what we put in our mouths. At the end of the day, it’s still calories in – calories out.   REMEMBER what it took to make you successful.   Now – get off your a55 – stop making excuses – and (sorry Nike) JUST DO IT !!   As for protein drinks, I happen to like Cytosport Complete Whey Lot Fat. It's the same company that makes Muscle Milk, however the Complete Whey Low Fat has better "numbers" then Muscle Milk Light. Another brand that seems good is Dymatize.   However each person's taste is different. What taste good to one person may taste like sweat-sock juice to another.   Many major supplement companies (ie. GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc) have a good return policy.   You may want to contact different companies and see if they can send a sample; coupons, or have a sample package.   Here are some protein drink guidelines   Try to get a Complete Whey   Each serving should have the lowest amount of calories (around 150)   lowest amount of Calories from Fat (less than 10 ideal)   with no more than 30 grams of protein per serving (25 ideal)   and less than 10 grams of carbohydrates (5 to 8 ideal)   If you’re dead set against protein drinks, they just eat sensible protein (lean meats; beans; fish, etc).   YOU CAN DO IT !! And know I am here if you need me.  
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 3/10/11 12:57 pm - Duluth, MN
I realize all Drs do things differently, but since you asked about alternative to protein powder I will tell you what MY dr has his patients do. We can you EITHER protein powder or Non fat Instant Dry Milk. I chose the Instant dry milk option as it was/is cheaper than protein powder and it does not interfere with the food/liquid item you put it into. Just my experience and I am BY NO MEANS as "expert" at this as some who had their surgery a long time ago. I am only 1 week and a half out from my surgery date. Good luck!

~Kim~

Sporki
on 3/12/11 6:57 am - Ravena, NY
Adjustable Gastric Band on 02/28/11
I was dumb and prior to surgery, I spent over a hundred bucks on a certain brand of drinks that I ended up having a bad reaction to. I had absolutely awful stomach aches the first 7 days after surgery and I attributed that to the surgery, but through a series of events finally determined I was having a reaction to the protein drink. As soon as I quit drinking them, the stomach aches went away. I then bought some Unjury on line because I saw it was recommended on so many bariatric surgery sites. I got the vanilla and chocolate flavors and really like both. Alot. Not only did the other brand make me sick, it tasted pretty bad as well. I think the Unjury is quite good. I have also heard a lot of good things about Chike. They have a special on their website right now where you can get a free, full serving sample of all 5 of their flavors for just the cost of postage. That way you can try them before buying!! Their web site is chikenutriton.com
Hope you are able to get back on the wagon and experience the same success you had early on. Good luck!
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."    
Most Active