Two weeks out

Amy B.
on 3/7/11 8:09 pm
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and looking forward to getting to know you all. Anyway, so here I am, 2 weeks out and since my pre-op, I've lost 26 lbs. (12 pre-surgery and 14 post-surgery). My support team at my doctor's office said I would only lose about 1-2 lbs./week, but I'm continuing to lose about a pound a day. Is this normal? I mean, I'm not complaining, but just want to be realistic. Thanks!

Amy
Kim H.
on 3/7/11 10:19 pm - Duluth, MN
I am a "relative newbie", too. I had my surgery 8 days ago...I have lost 15 during the six-month prior preriod when I was seeing the dietitian monthly, and 9 while on the pre surgery liquid diet. I am not sure how much I will/or am "expected" to lose in these 2 weeks post op. I just know I am not full..ever...I think it MAY have something to do with my colostomy. I am gonna check in this morning and see what they have to say. Congrats on the loss and keep it up, girl. Anxious to get to know you better, too. Have a great day!

~Kim~

Amy B.
on 3/9/11 9:26 am
 Thank you both! I understand much better now about the average.
Tom C.
on 3/7/11 11:00 pm, edited 3/9/11 5:50 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Amy,

First of all Welcome to the LOSER'S BENCH in our WINNER'S CIRCLE.

Secondly CONGRATS on your accomplishments .. so far ...

Thirdly, the average is 1 to 2 pounds a week. Notice the word AVERAGE. In the beginning you will lose a lot. Then it will slow down and/or stop. Then it (may) pick-up again. What you need to do is (a) don't get discouraged when the numbers slow/stop (b) and calculate the rate of loss up to that time, and it should work out to 1 to 2 pounds (may be less .. may be more). 

Example: the first 6 months you lose 104 pounds then for the next 6 months you don't lose a pound  - the first 6 months you lost 4 pounds a week, over the course of the year you've lost an average of 2 pounds a week.

I hope this answered your question.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
mmrh809
on 3/10/11 6:33 am - FAIR LAWN, NJ
Hi!
I am fairly new to this as well. I had my surgery on January 7, and in those 9 weeks have lost 42 pounds. It has slowed now but at first I was losing that quickly. I have now hit my first stall and am trying to keep positive---welcome to "the club"----Michelle
Michelle

Tom C.
on 3/10/11 9:30 am, edited 3/10/11 9:30 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Michelle,

CONGRATS on your success .. so far. You're doing well. As for stalls, don't be too concerned about it. Stalls are natural part of weight loss. It seems the body “catches on" to what we have been doing, and holds onto everything. After a while, the lost restarts and things go well.

However, stalls can also because by eating (a) too much (b) not enough. I know it sounds a little contradictory, and I will try to explain.  

Too much: While we need to make sure we hit our protein requirements (60-80 grams, or whatever your Doctor told you), we need to make sure the carbs, calories, etc are “acceptable". Remember, you don’t want to make your 80 grams of protein by eating 4 gallons of ice cream or a starchy carb.  

Not enough: Again, make sure you are meeting your daily protein requirements. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

Keep coming back and post about your journey. It will be helpful to one and all.

CONGRATS!!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active