Realize Band-Is there anything you wish you knew before your surgery?

christy217
on 3/3/11 10:40 am - Mechanicsville, MD
Hi there!

I am writing out there to all you experienced "realize-banders" to see if there is anything you wish you knew or weren't expecting out of your realize band experience?

Additionally, why did you decide on the realize band vs. lapband? 

How much weight have you typically lost on average in a week? 

What was the most difficult thing for you throughout the process? 

Thanks in advance for your response and thoughts!

Christy
Tom C.
on 3/3/11 8:27 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Christy,

Great questions. Let’s see if I can answer them, in less than 5 pages :D

The one thing I wish I knew was, (for me) I barely had any pain, and recovery was quick. I decided to wait because I thought having the operation in November would ruin all the upcoming Holidays. Boy was I wrong. But I also firmly believe when you have the operation is the day you’re suppose to have it. So I am happy.

I did a lot of research on both bands, and noticed in Europe of the 3 bands (lap; mid-band; and Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band) the SAGB had the best results. I was surprised to learn the SAGB was just approved in the US, and it was now called the Realize band. And my Doctor was one of the very first Doctors to do the procedure (at the time only 10).

Statics show you’re expected to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. Remember this is over a year, so the first few weeks you can lose 40 pounds, then a ‘stall’ will occur and you will not lose for a few weeks, then it resumes. So you need to go in with the mindset of losing 1 to 2 pounds a week, and if you lose more it’s all gravy … errr .. protein :D

The most difficult thing I recently learned, no matter what I think, I still don’t “know what I am doing". Last year, for a full year, I decided “I know what I am doing" and would eat things I knew I shouldn’t. I was yo-yoing with the same 5 pounds. It was until (A) a drastic weight gain (for me) (B) a personal inventory that I realized I didn’t know what I was doing and needed to go back to basics. Once I did that, and did exercise, I lost  the weight I gained – plus a whole lot more. And I am the lowest I’ve been in over 20+ years.

OK .. I am gonna keep this short and say I am done.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Jamie Z.
on 3/3/11 9:45 pm - MI
I actually didn't choose the realize band, it was the one my surgeon recommended. I must say I am happy he did, as to me it seems to be working better than a lot of the lap-band patients.

The realize my success website is such a valuable tool, and I hated it at first, it was not easy for me (a techie) to get around. Once you do get it, it is awesome. It really keeps me accountable, and the recipe database is invaluable. I know if I am not using the site I am not doing what I should, and then feel guilty.

The most difficult thing for me right now, is that I am great restriction, but I can still eat anything. I am working lately on that part, re-teaching myself to reward myself with things other than food. I have a good day..its time for a new otfit, not a cookie. As being a 14/16 (in misses) is much more fun than being a 20/22!

Kim H.
on 3/3/11 9:53 pm - Duluth, MN
I am glad I did it. I know..I am only 4 days out (had surgery Monday), but it is the best thing I have EVER done for myself. Here's the thing I find interesting. People use the term "lap band" like jello, kleenex, band aid...even if they use an "different brand"...I even called it a lap band when I first was telling people I was thinking of having the procedure. It was not until I talked to a friend, *****searched the difference for me(you know who you are, in case you are reading this!)

~Kim~

Tammy G.
on 3/3/11 10:32 pm - Indian Trail, NC
I wish I had known to bring a pillow to the hospital for the ride home.    Sounds silly, but I didn't have much pain when I got home but the ride home with nothing to hold over my stomach was not fun.     After that day I took a pillow in the car everywhere I went for a solid month.    The bumping around was just made more comfortable with that pillow.

Take a pillow.

crystal M.
on 3/4/11 11:59 am - Joliet, IL
Well let me see where do I begin....

I guess the number one thing I wish I knew before hand is how much goes into losing weight with the band.  I guess I was expecting it to be easy...like the band was on auto pilot and do all the work.  I really thought I was going to be done counting calories (I'm now obsessed with keeping track of what I eat and how much calories, carbs, cholesterol and sodium is in my food).  I also wasn't expecting it take so long to get to my optimum fill.  It took a long time for me.  But in the long run the Band has been a great journey with a rocky start.

I just couldn't make up my mind which band to choose.  I kept changing my mind back and forth.  In the end I told my surgeonn to choose what he thought was best for me and he chose Realize.  He prefers Realize band so it wasn't a surprise when he told me what he put in me. 

I will tell you my "before" average and my "after" average.  The reason I will do this is because like I said before I wasn't trying, I wanted my Band to the work.  I wasn'****ching my food portions or what I was eating.  I was eating high calorie, high carb garbage.  I now eat high protein and complex carbs...very little simple processed carbs.  Anyway my before average was maybe 50 lbs for the first year.  Not good when you have 190 lbs to lose.  Now I am losing 2-3 lbs per week every week.  I will have a few 5-6 lb weeks.  I now watch what I eat and exercise 6 days a week, 90 minutes a day.  I work my butt off now and have lost 140 lbs now!!!  See the difference a little extra effort makes...

The most difficult thing was motivating myself to TRY.  I was really down on myself because I wasn't losing...turns out my band wasn't magic.  I had excuse after excuse not to work out,  After working out 8 months I still don't WANT to work out.  Sure I would rather go home and relax...especially after 10 hours of work and it's snowing 10 inches outside....but I stuck to it.  Everyday!!!!  No matter what.  That's the hard part.  Not letting myself talk myself out of working out.  I still struggle but now I am easily motivated when I think about all of the weight I'm losing.

I started at at 354lbs...down to 218 lbs.  I was a size 30/32 now I'm a size 18.  The last time I added up all of my inches I have lost since the beginning I was up to 4 feet....I LOST 4 FEET!!!  I can cross my legs, i can fit in any seat I want to sit in, I can sit in booths, I am no longer the fattest person in the room, I can shop in the misses department...no more plus size, I can run up the stairs, I can run,  I am no longer on BP meds...oh there ar so many things that have happened.  Just make sure you work hard and I know you will be successful. 
missymisconduct
on 3/5/11 1:20 am, edited 3/5/11 1:22 am - NY
I too did a lot of research on the different type bands. But when it came right down to it, as i laid on the gurney getting ready to be wheeled into surgery. The surgeon asked which band are we giving you ? I replied I want the Realize , I think it's the best. He then replied, Yes We do too, are patients have the best outcome. I'm only 5 days post op, but so far so good.
MARIA F.
on 3/5/11 10:51 am - Athens, GA

I am writing out there to all you experienced "realize-banders" to see if there is anything you wish you knew or weren't expecting out of your realize band experience?

I wasn't expecting the complication rate to be as high as it is for post op complications. I constantly see ppl posting on the lap band forum about slips./port problems/leaks/etc. Every day it's something!

The most importan thing I wish I knew is that some (actually a LOT) ppl NEVER reach restriction!

Additionally, why did you decide on the realize band vs. lapband?

I had no preference. The band mill chose.

How much weight have you typically lost on average in a week?

I'm thinking since getting back on solids about 1/4 lb. per wk.

What was the most difficult thing for you throughout the process?

Realizeing that I completely WASTED $15,000 for this POS!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active