Physician for Realize Band

christy217
on 3/3/11 3:56 am - Mechanicsville, MD
Is it the norm for a potential patient to attend a seminar prior to actually booking an appointment ? I have already consulted with one surgeon, however, I was not happy with them, experience or bedside manner and now I am looking for a second opinion. I live in Maryland, but am finding it difficult to find a physician.

Thanks,
Christy
Tom C.
on 3/3/11 4:11 am, edited 3/3/11 4:12 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Christy,

I strongly suggest folks doing that.

I went to 3 seminars, and "interviewed" (on the phone) 3 Doctors before I settled on mine. In addition, I did a lot of on-line research, and spoke to "strangers" (basically friends of friends) who had the operation not only to learn about their experiences but also to see who their Doctors were. 2 Doctors tried to talk me out of my decision, stating the band would never work. I knew in an instant they weren’t for me (and their records showed they only did bypass and no band surgery).  

Let me ask you this, if you were buying a car; a television; a major appliance, or  house – and you didn’t like the salesperson, or what they were trying to “push you to” would you still go with them and/or go through the transaction? If no, don’t you think you’re worth MORE than ALL OF THESE COMBINED?!??!?!!?

This is probably the biggest decision you’ll make for yourself. If you don’t feel comfortable, then don’t go through with it.  

Now mind you, if the Doctor has a great rep, but poor beside manner – that’s something else. So folks don’t like my Doctor because he’s a ‘straight shooter / no b.s.’ type of person. That’s exactly why I CHOSE HIM. I want the straight poop about the prons and cons and what to expect. I’ve come to worship my Doctor, and recommend him to everyone. I do tell these folks “you may not like his bedside manner” but don’t let that stop you. Once you get to know my Doctor, you realize he cares for each and every one of his patients. He knows more about them then you can imagine (using no charts), and is actually a funny person with a great sense of humor.  

I hope this answered your question.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
christy217
on 3/3/11 10:02 am - Mechanicsville, MD
Tom,
Thanks for your response, and I whole-heartedly agree with you, regarding the second opinion, etc., It's funny I always say that to people when I hear them express how they are unhappy with service from a doctor, etc., get a second opinion, you do so on your house, etc., so why not for your body?
Thanks so much! I look forward to getting my surgery eventually done, I truly feel this is going to be a new lease on life for me.
Warm Wishes,
Christy
Jamie Z.
on 3/3/11 9:36 pm - MI
Some do. I know a few people with the lap-band, and I avoided where they went as it is a bit of a mill in my opinion. My doc was referred to me from an old friend on FB. Fortunately there are ALOT of surgeons in the Detroit area. My advice would be to find a surgeon who does more than one type of WLS, as they will be better informed if the band is right for you, or if another surgery might be better.

Most Active