Pureed foods

streammary
on 3/4/11 2:44 am - TX
REALIZE Band on 02/24/11 with
Well, its been a week and a day and I was able to start having pureed foods but I'm still doing liquids only becaused I wanted to start doing the puree food on the weekend and to give me a chance what kind of items are good to puree and what to use for liquids to thin them done some.
Does anyone have any good ideas? Please help !!!!

Tom C.
on 3/4/11 2:59 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGE YOUR INTAKE

Now this is the Diet Progression that was set for me. Again, speak to your Dr/Nut before adding/following this

Clear liquids for the first 48 hours. This included:

Water/ice chips

Low-fat broth

Sugar-free Jell-O

Sugar-free juices

Sugar-free popsicles

Sugar-free water flavor powders (ex. Crystal Light)

Noncarbonated flavored waters

Unsweetened decaffeinated tea/diet iced-tea

After 3 – 4 days, I went to the full liquid diet:

Protein shake (less than 30 grams of protein and less than 10 grams of carbs per serving) – made with either water or Skim (Plus) Milk

Skim (Plus) milk

Vegetable juice (V8/tomato)

Low-fat cream soup (made with Skim (Plus) Milk and passed through a strainer)

Light-smooth nonfat/no sugar added yogurt (Greek yogurt has more protein)

Sugar-free/fat-free pudding (made with Skim (Plus) Milk)

Unsweetened/Natural/no sugar added (SMOOTH) apple sauce

Whipped low-fat cottage cheese

Non-Fat ricotta cheese

2 to 3 weeks you can go into the soft-food stage, whi*****ludes:

Oatmeal/Cream of Wheat/Farina (made with water or Skim (Plus) Milk and passed through a strainer)

Soft-cooked eggs/Egg beaters

Canned tuna/salmon packed in water (moisten with low-fat mayo if necessary)

Soft-baked/broiled/stewed: chicken and/or fish

Low-fat deli meats

Tofu

Soft low-fat cheeses

Cooked lentils; kidney beans, peas, legumes

Black bean/lentil soups (strained, no chunks)

Soft-cooked vegetables

Canned fruits packed in “light" or “own" juices

Low-fat refried beans

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 3/4/11 7:31 am - Duluth, MN
I am still on the post surgery liquid diet, and have a question. The doc told me that he put about 2cc of saline in my band when he put it in "because there was a little room". My question is, then WHY am I hungry after eating my high protein liquid meals? That is troubling to me. Any ideas? I welcome any thought anyone may have. Thanks!

~Kim~

Tom C.
on 3/4/11 8:25 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
A few questions for you

Is this real hunger or head hunger?

How fast/slow are you taking in your protein meal?

How much protein are you taking per meal?

What is the nutritional value of the protein meal? (i.e. calories; carbs; protein; etc).

How much protein should you be taking in a day, and are you hitting those numbers?

Are you drinking 30 minutes before/after and/or during you "meal"?

How much liquid are you suppose to consume in the day, and are you hitting those numbers?

Are you drinking enough/often through-out the day?

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 3/4/11 9:04 am - Duluth, MN
Answers in order...
Real hunger
maybe a bit fast
following instructions to "the letter"
200 to 220 cal, 12 to 20 g of protein (what dietician/doc say
yep hitting the protein numbers
never during ..and yes I almost obsessively watch the clock on that one!
supposed to hit 64 oz of "extra liquids"...not quite, there is probably where I lack
no I am probably not drinking enough or often enough thru the day
Thanks for the checklist. How did I do?? lol

~Kim~

Tom C.
on 3/4/11 9:37 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Are you only taking in 12 to 20 grams of protein a day, or per serving? Of course every Doctor is different, mine told me from day one my daily allotment should be between 60 and 80 grams. So if you're only doing 20 per day, that could be the reason.

As for how you did, you're doing fantastic.

Tom

Kim H.
on 3/4/11 12:34 pm - Duluth, MN
12 to 20 in each of the 5 liquid meals every day...I am going to concentrate on drinking my 64 oz of fluids per day and see if that will make a difference. Thanks for answering my note.

~Kim~

Denise R.
on 3/5/11 12:29 am - Manchester, NH
Hi Kim,

I had no hunger the first week then the second week I started to get hungry, I took it as a good sign that the swelling from surgery was going down and I just kept up with my liquids and protein shakes and I was allowed a few tablespoons of cream soup three times a day. I savored those tablespoons because I craved something savory. It was hard but it is worth it just hang in there.

Denise

Kim H.
on 3/5/11 2:30 am - Duluth, MN
Thank you Denise. I figured out the "problem" yesterday..lol...I "forgot" one of my 5 liquid meals, so YES it WAS REAL hunger lol. But today I am right on track with the 5 (just finished meal 2 for the day about 1/2 hr ago)and I am hungry(stomach growling weak like in Day of pre op diet. So, as Tom suggested, now I do believe it is my (lack of) water intake. I put a note on my frig(A BIG ONE) that says "GOAL: Drink more water daily!" Hopefully that will help me. But as of now, except for when I got home Tuesday and could only eat 6 oz instead of 8, I do not feel any different than before the surgery. Am I expecting too much too soon? Cuz I am really getting down about it!

~Kim~

Tom C.
on 3/4/11 8:47 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Most Active