Head Games

Tammy G.
on 3/2/11 10:25 am - Indian Trail, NC
ARG!!!   I have got to get my head back into this game!!!!   But every morning I wake up thinking I'm going back the basics starting back on liquids for a while.    Then mid-morning comes along and I eat something stupid.   Then my heads says - ok you screwed up so you blew today. Take advantage and start tomorrow.    I've been doing this for TWO WEEKS.    One day I ate 5 bags of (something I should not have eaten and won't mention here).    HOW DO I STOP THIS VISCIOUS CYCLE?   I've gained 5 pounds trying to get my head straight.

Tom C.
on 3/2/11 5:27 pm, edited 3/2/11 5:27 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Remember PROTEIN is the key to losing weight and staying full – longer. Even on “liquid” stage, have PROTEIN drinks. This not only adds to your liquid amount, but also will keep you fuller. There are such things as non-flavored protein powder, so you can mix it into anything. Or protein enriched broth (like Unjury).  

First you need to realize you are stronger than any craving or any food. It took strength to admit you have a problem you can’t control. It took strength to decide to have an operation. It took strength to do what was needed before and after the operation. It took strength to say “I need help” .. So you have the strength, now you need to call on it. 

What you need to remember is they put the band around your stomach, and not around your brain. You will need to use some self control when it comes to food. If you are hungry stop and ask yourself is this real hunger or head hunger. Asking that alone will probably be an indication it’s head hunger, so you know what to do. Get busy doing something else. If that doesn’t work, EAT – but SOMETHING HEALTHY. Have some PROTEIN; salad; vegetables, etc.  

You need to get to support groups. Look on line to find ones around you.  

You may want to discuss this with your Doctor. That’s why they are there. If you feel you’re not getting the support from him, then you need to go to another Doctor. Remember you are the client/consumer. If you’re paying for a service, you want the best service for that money. If not, move on. You are worth THE BEST because YOU ARE THE BEST !!  

You also may need to speak to a Nutritionist. Many insurance companies allow you to see one X amount of times per year. Contact your insurance company.  

Finally you may want to go and speak to the person who did your psych exam, or see someone new. Again, insurance should be able to cover it. Maybe not the person you originally saw, but someone in your plan.  

Hope this helps. Know we’re here for you     

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
christy217
on 3/3/11 10:37 am - Mechanicsville, MD
Tammy,

I echo what Tom says. I think so much of weight loss, 90% of it in my opinion, is mental. I have considered seeing a hypnotherapist for this. I have found that my major issue is motivation.

I also set myself up for the perfectionist cycle, or so I call it. I have yet to have any WLS done, but I know what my mental issues are as well. I will start, similar to what you do, if I don't have a "good day" or do everything as it should be done, I feel I've blown the whole day. I feel that I can't start over until the next day, and I feel elated and high while I am eating the food, whatever, it may be, and then afterwards I feel horrible, not only with guilt, but most likely from the food too.

I've been trying to get my head in the right state of mind too. I know that life happens, there are going to be birthday parties, office functions, holiday parties, etc., I just need to be aware and prepare. Additionally, I need to stop thinking along the lines of perfectionism, no one is perfect, and trying to obtain perfectionism is just not worth it. For me, personally, I've had to take it literally one meal at a time.

I am not trying to separate myself completely from the enjoyment of food, I want to enjoy my food, however, I am trying to look at food as a means to fuel my body.

Unfortunately in our society, food is readily available, and in bounty. We use food to celebrate everything, we give our pets treats if they do well, we treat our children the same way, we've grown up with food, food, and more food! it's hard to break the mentality, as well as the behavior that attributes to that too.

I don't know if you're anything like me, or are feeling the same way, however, I read the "Beck Diet Solution" by Judith Beck, she deals with cognitive therapy behavior, it helped me with re-affirmations, and really thinking about what I wanted out of my lifestyle change.

Regardless, I hope I have helped you somehow, and good luck with your endeavors!

Warm Regards,

Christy
Tom C.
on 3/3/11 9:56 pm, edited 3/3/11 10:40 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Here is my 2¢ concerning the perfectionist cycle. PERFECTION a myth, it DOES NOT EXIST!!.

There will be positive days, and negative days. As long as the positive days outnumber the negative days, you’ll win the end. Think of it this way, there are 365 days in the year. If you’re good for 90% of the time, that means 36.5 days you’re not. That’s over a month worth of days, or 3 days per month to be “a little off your game plan”.  

For myself, I ‘budget’ around 2 days a month. I bank these days, so for 3 days during the: Memorial Day; 4th of July; Labor Day; Thanksgiving; Christmas; New Years and my birthday (a total of 21 days) I know I will be off my game plan. This gives me an additional 3 days of "floating slippage" days.

I plan for these times, and I make sure I increase my exercise and/or reduce my calorie intake a week (or two) before time. This way, when I DO indulge I can do so without “guilt”. I also know after those 3 days, I go “back to basics” to detox myself and get back on track.  

Now mind you, I am 3 years out. For the first year I was diligent and did not stray from what I was expected to do. My feeling was I didn’t “earn” the right to stray. After about 18 months I began to “test” the waters.  I am not saying YOU need to do wait a year, I am just telling you what I did.

Remember this isn’t a diet plan; it’s a way of life. So slips, stumbles and falls will occur. What we do when this happens is truly important. You need to get yourself up, dust yourself off, and get yourself to continue down the road to success. 

Final reminder, “naturally thin” people do this all the time. Therefore, we’re in great company.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active