I messed upppp!

justdance0
on 2/21/11 9:05 am
Okay... I am currently on my 2 week pre-op diet and I messed up so bad. On Friday, I went out to eat with my family... at a buffet...and I had to have a piece of bread... but the rest I ate was a lot of meat.
the next day, I guess I got a little ****y and ate some tacos..... I couldnt stop myself!
the next day i ate a hotdog with a small bit of bun.. hotdogs are high in fat.

From feb 11 - 18th i didnt cheat, I lost 12 lbs in that amount of time.

Do you think I will still be ok as long as I don't cheat anymore? Weigh in is Friday 25th and surgery is Tuesday the 1st.
Tom C.
on 2/21/11 11:19 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Here is some tough love .. Yesterday is over and done with. There is nothing we can do about it. Tomorrow is NOW, and it’s time to get yourself back on track.

I will be honest, this will also occur when you have the operation. Remember the operation is only a tool, and not a cure all. This isn’t a diet plan; it’s a way of life. So slips, stumbles and falls will occur. What we do when this happens is truly important. You need to get yourself up, dust yourself off, and get yourself to continue down the road to success.

Don’t worry too much about it. I doubt you ate 12 pounds of food over the weekend. But now you need to promise yourself THIS IS IT!! You need to walk down RECOVERY ROAD with all your gusto!!

Know we’re here for you!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
rich_in_nfpa
on 2/21/11 12:16 pm - New Freedom, PA
Tom's right. Forget the mistakes of the past and determine to walk the straight and narrow going forward. One or two meals or even one or two days of poor eating do not spell disaster.

My doctor told me the primary purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink the liver to make his job easier. It's carbs that cause the liver to enlarge so, when they are limited, it shrinks. Just get back on your pre-op plan let us know how you are doing once you get home from the hospital. We're pulling for you.

Cheers!

Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
justdance0
on 2/21/11 1:38 pm
Thanks both of you! I was feeling very discouraged.
justdance0
on 2/23/11 7:43 am
Thanks for your suggestions. Sadly, I was denied. I think we're going to appeal it. Apparently, even though I'm 5'10'' 390 lbs with a bmi of 56 (but no co-morbidities) I can't have it.
I don't know what to do! 
Tom C.
on 2/23/11 9:48 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Excuse my French, but WTF??!?!?!?! Who is your insurance company, and what State are you in???? I thought (and I'm probably wrong), the standard was over 35 with co-morbidities, and 40 and above with NO co-morbidities.

Unless your insurance has an exclusion, then that can be tricky to fight.

My first suggestion, for YOU to call the insurance company and see if you have an exclusion. If not, then ask why where you denied. It could be because of a few reasons (some insurance companies demand X amount of supervised diet/Doctor visits; you need some tests or see a nutritionist or psych Doctor; etc). Once you know why, then you can better address it.

If you DO have an exclusion, go to your employer and ask to see if they can remove it just for you. You may need to explain the benefits of having the operation vs not having it (example: more meds needed; frequent doctor visits; out sick; greater chance of a major ailment requiring hospital stay).

Depending on the State you're in, you may only be able to only appeal 2 times - after the 3 time if you're denied some insurance companies deny you for life.

See about switching insurance companies. Not sure if it's feesiable.

Good luck, and I will be praying for you.

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
justdance0
on 2/23/11 9:52 am
Yea.. you are right about the 35 w co-morbidities and 40 without... thats exactly what the doctors office said but apparently my insurance plan says you have to have a bmi of 60 without co-morbidities.
I am using MedCost and am in North Carolina. Ugh! It's sort of depressing. We're going to try to figure out something.
I called them and they just told me that I was denied because of my BMI (its freaking close!) and that they sent a letter.
Tom C.
on 2/23/11 5:52 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
I never heard such B.S. I can't understand how they can (almost) double the standard. That's like them stating you can't have open heart surgery unless you need a quintuple bypass.

Now this may just be the Brooklyn Italian in me, so follow along ..

Are you sure you didn't make a mistake about your height? I swore you're 5'7" not 5'10" because according to this BMI calculator you're a 61.1.

www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Or maybe you weight more then you thought you did.

Double check with your Doctor. The charts could have been wrong.

Tom

justdance0
on 2/24/11 3:04 am
I just wanna give an update...
I received the denial letter today. The only criteria I didnt meet was the BMI which says that I am supposed to have a BMI between 35 and 55 with no co-morbidities. I was 56.6 or something like that. So.. the doctor is going to have me weigh in tomorrow (since I ate regular yesterday and today) and I'm going to go back on the protein shakes and stuff and "officially" weigh-in on Monday to see where I'm at. They're also going to write an appeal later stating that I have lost weight and decreased my BMI etc etc...

Hopefully good news will come! 
justdance0
on 3/15/11 10:50 am
I was finally approved! Surgery date is set for 3/29/2011
Started my 2 week pre-op diet (again) today... ahh! I'm so ready! 
Most Active