Can't get warm

Tom C.
on 2/21/11 11:58 am, edited 2/22/11 4:39 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

I need to play devils advocate, so please don’t hate me. Why must you give up your “food identity"? Why not simply change it? Kinda like when Super-Boy became Superman!!

There are many who had the operation who have changed their cooking life to help the bariatric world. CHRISTMAS, I wish you lived nearby because I would be using you as a cooking resource. I am very limited in cooking, and that’s one of things I wish I knew how to do. With your knowledge, you can make familiar dishes more healthy and bariatric friendly. You can become an invaluable member of the bariatric family. Who knows, you may even write a book.

Since you’re around my you may remember the Galloping Gourmet (Graham Kerr). Back in the 60’s and 70’s he made everything with heavy creams; butters; flour, etc. All those yummy “fatting" ingredients. But in the late 80’s early 90’s he decided to make the same recipes, but with healthier ingredients. What was once a fatting astronomical calorie enriched meal became a healthy delicious meal. You can do the same thing.

I have faith in a few short months/years you’ll be cooking up a storm, and feeding your family and friends foods they will never know was “healthy" for them. I have a recipe for “faux mash potatoes" made with cauliflower. My nephew loves “Uncle Tom’s Mashie’s" and he thinks he’s eating mash potatoes. I never correct him. Why should I? If he enjoys it, that’s all that counts.

I may be stepping over my boundaries, but I don’t think you’re giving yourself enough credit. Your friends and family LOVE YOU. Not you the Cook, but YOU THE PERSON. Sure you may be a great cook, and that’s only ADDS to your person. Like salt …. errrr .. MRS DASH does to a good meal.

As for eating late with the family, why can’t you? Unless your Doctor tells you otherwise, you can still eat at the same time with your hubby. Just alter your eating regiment to coincide with your husband’s meal.   

There is no fact that the stuff you love to do now you won’t be able to do after the band. A good band will permit you to eat anything you want, but in smaller portions. The only thing I can't eat (like most banders) is dry foods (example overcooked meats) or "white clumpy" foods (example WHITE rice; macaroni; breads - but I can eat GRAIN rice; macaroni; breads).

I eat raw vegetables. There are some types that gives me issues (like celery), but I’ve either learned how to deal with it (like shave the celery) or I am hooked onto something else (like carrots).

I sympathize your fear of being “ugly" skinner. I wish I could tell you that won’t happen, but I can’t. No one will be able to control that, but you. But think of this (and I may get thrown off the boards for saying this) – but after the operation and losing all the weight – if you’re truly unhappy you can simply have the band removed, and go back to where you were. I know this is the wrong way of thinking, but it’s the truth. I know the Doctor would rather see you happy then be miserable with the tool. Again, this will be your decision. And know, no matter what you chose, I will be there if you want.    

Instead of thinking about leaving one life for another, think about MERGING one life WITH another. You’ll be taking all those wonderful things you love NOW and COMBINE them with a better healthier life.

I am confuse when you wrote you won’t be able to control your digestion. As for wearing an appliance, would you feel the same way if you needed to wear a pacemaker? And you have all the right in the world to be pissed off. GO AHEAD AND BE PISSY!! You earned it!!!

As for the silliness, again every Doctor is different so always refer to your Doctor before changing your eating habits. With that said, My Doctor feels FOREVER IS A LONG TIME. If you can, you can OCCASIONALLY (note the word OCCASIONALLY and realize it means ONCE IN A BLUE MOON) indulge in something you like. My Nutritionist feels that if having that indulgence will stop you from obsessing about it, and eat tons of other stuff before “caving in" – then just have it. But make sure it’s not a launch pad. Over time you’ll realize that WANT IS BETTER THAN HAVING. And what you once thought tasted heavenly will now taste less blissful.

Thanks for taking time and reading this. Hope it gave you some FOOD FOR THOUGHT :D!!

Your FRIEND

Tom !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
rich_in_nfpa
on 2/21/11 11:47 am - New Freedom, PA
Tom, as usual you are far more eloquent than I can hope to be. The advice and support you've given to Matriarchy (and all of us here) is priceless and dead center.

You just said something I need to keep reminding myself of: "I try to remind myself that there are 365 days of the year. If I am on target for 340 of those days, I am doing great."

I've been beating myself up because I occasionally drift off course and fail to lose weight or, even worse, actually gain some. I've been losing and gaining the same 5-6 pounds since September never recognizing the miracle that has happened -- my weight is essentially stable! When was the last time I could say that? I'm currently only 3 pounds heavier than my lowest weight since being banded and that low has occurred in the last 2 months.

Thanks for reminding me that my goal is progress, not perfection. I may never regain my 34" waist but I already weigh less now than when I graduated high school over 35 years ago. That's why I love the support we give each other on this board -- we're constantly reminded to focus on the positive and learn from the negative and move on.

--------------------

And Matriarchy, in my experience what you are experiencing is within the parameters of "normal" following band surgery. By all means contact your doctor's office if something just doesn't seem right but be patient with yourself. It takes our bodies (and our minds) a while to adapt to the new state of affairs. The coldness you feel could indeed be due to your metabolism being reduced. Once you begin eating more "regular" foods that should be alleviated.

Allow me to offer a belated welcome to our little community here. I haven't posted much recently because of some family issues but I hope to be around more regularly now.

Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Tom C.
on 2/21/11 9:26 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Rich,

Thank you for the kind words. They came at a great time for me.

All last year I too yo-yoed with the same 5 pounds. This happens to "naturally thin" people all the time. Our victory is that a 5 pound increase isn't a defeat, but a reminder to "get back on track". Who would have THUNK IT?!?!?!?!?

Keep shooting for that size 34 waist. I know you'll eventually get there. It took me over a year, but I am down "offically" in a size 38 jean - without sucking in my gut :D!! So if I can go from a 64 to 38, I know you'll get to your 34's.

Again thanks for making my day start off right.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active