HELP!!

brnsugar91
on 2/17/11 12:29 pm
I got banded in 2008 and recently I have gained 25 lbs and do not know how to get it off or exactly what happened. I had issues with my band being too tight in October of last year and the doctor removed some of my fills and since that time I have gained this weight. In addition, my doctor says I have a little more stomach above my band then they like to see but it is not that much and he is not concerned about it. This has been an issue for at least 12 months.

I need to get back on track and perhaps get another fill. My fills at my doctors office are expensive since my insurance has gone to a high deductible plan and I am unable to afford the fills. Can someone direct me to place where I can get a fill at a cheaper rate in Illinois.

Tom C.
on 2/17/11 5:29 pm, edited 2/17/11 9:35 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Brnsugar91,

My first advice, call and go see your Doctor. Speak to him, especially concerning your finical issue. That’s why they are there. Your Doctor may do the fill at a reduced rate. Not sure if Illinois has banding centers, but we have them in NJ. Many times these places do fills at a cheaper rate, and either takes what the insurance companies pay or charges a “maximum" rate (example $200.00). While I know these fills may seem a lot, is your health and happiness not worth the price? And think of it this way, if you put the money you save in your food bill you’ll probably offset the cost in no time.

Here is some tough love .. Yesterday is over and done with. There is nothing we can do about it. Tomorrow is NOW, and it’s time to get yourself back on track.

I admire you admit enough is enough. How many times in the past you DID do this?

You need to realize you are stronger than any craving or any food. You need to stop and reflect and be proud of all you have accomplished and call upon your strength. How do I know you have strength? Because it took strength to admit you wanted to regain control of your life; it took strength to have the operation; it took strength to make you lose weight; it took strength to realize you’re not doing what you’re suppose to be doing; and it took strength to ask for help.

Remember this isn’t a diet plan; it’s a way of life. So slips, stumbles and falls will occur. What we do when this happens is truly important. You need to get yourself up, dust yourself off, and get yourself to continue down the road to success.

What you first need to do is ask yourself “Where did I come from" .. then ask yourself “Why did I do this operation" – basically the answer is because it’s a last resort.

GET BACK TO THE BASICS !! I tell everyone that. Pretend today was day one of the operation and go back to a strict liquid diet. Do this for a few days (maybe a week), then go onto the next stage of soft food then finally regular food. What you are doing it is detoxing your body of the sugars and bad carbs. When you find yourself hungry – eat .. but SENSIBLE foods. Make sure you also follow all the rules.

You need to go back and follow the rules that made you successful. You need to have the 64 ounces of NON-CARBONATE/DECAFFEINATED liquid. You need to have your 60 to 80 grams of protein. You need to make sure you don’t drink 30 minutes before/after or during your meal. 

What you need to remember is they put the band around your stomach, and not around your brain. You will need to use some self control when it comes to food. If you are hungry stop and ask yourself is this real hunger or head hunger. Asking that alone will probably be an indication it’s head hunger, so you know what to do. Get busy doing something else. If that doesn’t work, EAT – but SOMETHING HEALTHY. Have some salad; vegetables, PROTEIN, etc.

You need to get to support groups. Look on line to find ones around you. As I said, you need to discuss this with your Doctor. That’s why they are there. If you feel you’re not getting the support from the Doctor, then you need to go to another Doctor. Remember you are the client/consumer. If you’re paying for a service, you want the best service for that money. If not, move on. You are worth THE BEST because YOU ARE THE BEST!!

Go and have a follow-up with your nutritionists, Many insurance companies will allow you X amount of visits per year. Check with them.

Also be proud that you’ve realized 25 lbs IS ENOUGH. How may times in the past has a weight gain like this sent you spiraling the other way. You have more strength then you give yourself credit for. BE PROUD !!

REMEMBER what it took to make you successful. YOU CAN DO IT !! And know I am here if you need me.

Now – get off your a$$ – stop making excuses – and (sorry Nike) JUST DO IT !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
brnsugar91
on 2/18/11 2:26 am
Tom,

Thank you for your email. It has renewed my faith and my ability to stop sabotaging myself on my journey. I am going to go back to the liquid diet for a few days to a week to get myself on track. Then on to soft foods. I do know that I have not met my protein or water requirements in months so I will make an effort to ensure I get in the right about of protein and the required glasses of water. I have also slacked off from exercising so I will start immediately to get back on the exercise track.

I will call upon you when I feel down and troubled and on the verge of doing something that I will regret which will put me back to a starting position. Thank you again Tom.

Joann

Tom C.
on 2/18/11 2:50 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Over the Thanksgiving to New Years holidays I went WAY OFF my game, and gained. I am unsure how much, but it had to be a lot because my normally baggy pants were snug.

I went back to basics, and I can report I not only lost anything I gained, but a lot more. In addition I have upped my exercising, and this has helped immensely.

I know you can do it. And I know YOU KNOW YOU CAN!!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
brnsugar91
on 2/18/11 4:17 am
Tom,

You are my hero. I went on a cruise in early December gained 8 lbs there and then it has been an upward spiral since. When I got on the scale last week and realized that I had gained 25 lbs overall, I was in a panic and felt really bad. I know that we as human beings are not perfect but I got the band for health reasons and those issues were under control with the weight loss. So I will have to buckle down and get back on track.

As you stated exercise is important and I will definitely be back in the gym everyday even if for only 30 - 45 minutes. I will make a point to get in the exercise I need to help me through this hole I have dug for myself.

Thanks again Tom your words are encouraging.

MaMa_M
on 2/17/11 8:50 pm - MI
The first step in the right direction is asking for help. Find your focus and work towards eatting the right foods and following your banding rules for protein and water intake. Could you put away a few dollars a week to save up for a fill? I know coming up with a couple hundred dollars at one time can be overwelming. Best of luck to you!
MaMa M

brnsugar91
on 2/18/11 2:28 am
MaMa_M,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. Would it be possible for you or someone to post the banding rules for protein and water intake. I cannot seem to find my information at home.

Thank you again.

Joann

Tom C.
on 2/18/11 2:47 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Please know, every Doctor and/or Nutritionist has their own philosophies. This is what was told my mine:

Protein drink guidelines

Try to get a Complete Whey

Each serving should have the lowest amount of calories (around 150)

lowest amount of Calories from Fat (less than 10 ideal)

with no more than 30 grams of protein per serving (25 ideal)

and less than 10 grams of carbohydrates (5 to 8 ideal)

Drink at least of 64 ounces of non-carbonated/decaffeinated liquids daily.

Make sure you’re not drinking: 30 minutes before; during eating; or 30 minutes after you meal.

(A) liquids can “fill" up the stomach fast. While you may feel full quicker, liquids get expel quicker then solids, so that full feeling will go away quickly.

(B) liquids causes solids to pass through your “band funnel" quicker. When you have a band, think of your stomach as funnel shape. 

Think of a kid at the beach playing with a funnel. If they put sand (food) in that funnel, and fills it up – it takes a while for the sand to run out of the funnel. Now if that kid fills the funnel up with sand, then pours water on top of it, the sand become more liquefied, and runs out of the funnel quicker.

Hope this answered your question.

Tom

brnsugar91
on 2/18/11 4:23 am
Tom,

Can you recommend a Protein for me. I normally mix my protein powder with fat free milk, but I believe that for a serving which consists of two scoops of the powder is 200 calories with 18 grams of protein, but probably more then 10 grams of carbs. Not sure but thinking out loud to myself. Any other pointers you can give me on this journey would be greatly appreciated.

Again thank you so much.

Tom C.
on 2/18/11 5:43 am, edited 2/18/11 5:52 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Honestly I cannot for one simple reason - everyone's taste is different. What I may like, you may despise.

With that said, I like the Cytosport Complete Whey Lot Fat protein. I mix 1 scoop it with 8 ounces of skim milk. Here's the break down

Skim milk  80 calories; 0 from fat; 12 carbs; 8 protein
Cytosport  90 calories; 1.5 from fat; 2 carbs; 16 protein;

Total 170 calories; 1.5 from fat; 14 carbs; 24 protein  - not too bad.

Another brand which looks good is Dymatize. I tried a protein shake made with them, and it was very good.

The company can be found at http://www.dymatize.com/products/.

They have different Whey proteins, and the nutritional values don't seem too bad.

For their

ISO 100 = 24 - 25 grams of Protein| 106 calories | 0 Calories from Fat | 0 - 1 Carb

Elite Egg = 24 grams of Protein| 110 calories | 0 to 2 Calories from Fat | 2 - 3 Carb

Elite Whey = 24 grams of Protein| 114 - 117 calories | 14 Calories from Fat | 2 - 2.5 Carb

Whey Isolate = 24 grams of Protein| 125 calories | 14 Calories from Fat | 4 Carb

Elite Gourment = 21 grams of Protein| 120 to 125 calories | 15 Calories from Fat | 5 - 6 Carb

I have no idea how they taste by themselves, but I am planning on testing them the next time I need Protein (going to get the ISO 100).

No matter what brand you buy, try to remember:

Keep the Calories low (try to stay around 150 or below would be better)

Keep the Proteins between 20 and 30 (25 is ideal)

Keep the Carbs below 10 (5 is ideal)

Keep the Calories from fat below 20

I would suggest going to GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and ask about samples and return policy. I cannot stand GNC products, but there are tons of people who love it.

There is also a lady that sell samples. Her website is
http://www.vitalady.com/  This is where I tried my samples when I first started.

Tom

Most Active