Gained 7 pounds and have to go to Dr. Tommorow!

trying2findmyself
on 2/16/11 11:46 am - Allen, OK
I go back to the Dr. tommorow for my 9 month post op checkup. I had lost 82 pounds since surgery and now I have gained 7 pounds and don't want to have to face my Dr with it. I know I have been eating things I shouldn't and am just know getting back to my exercise. He has always been so proud and I don't want to dissapoint him. Thenon the other hand my Husband is glad and wants me to gain about 10 more pounds. i am really puzzled on what to do, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Stacy

Tom C.
on 2/16/11 9:02 pm, edited 2/16/11 9:02 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Stacy,

First advice – never ask for advice when I am lurking on the boards. Not only will you get it, but you’ll be reading a book.

True first advice: I am elated you’re seeing the Doctor, even with this setback. That’s why they are there. They are suppose to guide you through no matter if it’s positive or a little negative. Sounds like you may need another fill.

Second, be proud you have decided 7 pounds is ENOUGH. How many times in the past where you able to do this? This, in itself alone, is a major accomplishment. CONGRATS to see enough is enough.

Ok here is the toughest love you will get .. Yesterday is over and done with. There is nothing we can do about it. Tomorrow is NOW, and it’s time to get yourself back on track.

First – remember this isn’t a diet plan; it’s a way of life. So slips, stumbles and falls will occur. What we do when this happens is truly important. You need to get yourself up, dust yourself off, and get yourself to continue down the road to success.

What you first need to do is ask yourself “Where did I come from" .. then ask yourself “Why did I do this operation" – basically the answer is because it’s a last resort

You need to realize you are stronger than any craving or any food. It took strength to admit you have a problem you can’t control. It took strength to decide to have an operation. It took strength to do what was needed before and after the operation. It took strength to say “I need help" .. So you have the strength, now you need to call on it.

GET BACK TO THE BASICS !! I tell everyone that. Pretend today was day one of the operation and go back to a strict liquid diet. Do this for a few days (maybe a week), then go onto the next stage of soft food then finally regular food. What you are doing it is detoxing your body of the sugars and bad carbs. When you find yourself hungry – eat .. but SENSIBLE foods. Make sure you also follow all the rules.

You need to go back and follow the rules that made you successful. You need to have the 64 ounces of NON-CARBONATE/DECAFFEINATED liquid. You need to have your 60 to 80 grams of protein. You need to make sure you don’t drink 30 minutes before/after or during your meal. 

What you need to remember is they put the band around your stomach, and not around your brain. You will need to use some self control when it comes to food. If you are hungry stop and ask yourself is this real hunger or head hunger. Asking that alone will probably be an indication it’s head hunger, so you know what to do. Get busy doing something else. If that doesn’t work, EAT – but SOMETHING HEALTHY. Have some salad; vegetables, PROTEIN, etc.

I gained during the holidays, and come January 3 I decided it was time to go back to basics. I am happy to report I lost anything I gained, PLUS A LOT MORE!!

Now please excuse me if I overstep my bounds, and I don’t mean to be harsh. Your Husband is NOT YOU. He has not walked in your shoes (maybe he has, but that’s for another post). He doesn’t (truly) know your feelings. He doesn’t (truly) know what you’ve gone through to get you to a point to do an operation as the last resort. ONLY YOU KNOW THAT. You need to be honest with yourself (and him – if possible) and realize YOU did this for YOU!! And only YOU can decide when enough is enough, and what will make you happy. YOU deserve to be the happiest, and healthiest, you’ve ever been. If that means at this weight, fine. If it means at another 10 pound more, that’s fine. If it means 50 pounds less, that also fine. ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE THAT NUMBER!!

Remember you’re worth the best because you ARE THE BEST!!

Always know I am here for you!!

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out with the Doctor.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
trying2findmyself
on 2/17/11 1:01 pm - Allen, OK
Update from my Drs. visit. I really did not want to go to the Dr today and I confessed of all my bad behaviors told the Dr what was going on in my life and I feel alot better. I did gain but it was only 3 pounds instead of the 7 that I thought. I assured him I was going to get back on track and nip this in the butt!  He gave me a 2/10 of a cc fill. Then my Mom and I went to eat and I could fel restriction after just a few small bites of steak, so I am praying this is what I need and I am keeping a food journal to turn in next month March 21st so hopefully with all their advise, support and my Obesity Help friends I will have a good report next month. Thanks My friends for all the encouragement:)
God Bless You:)
Stacy

Tom C.
on 2/17/11 5:38 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Stacy,

Through your word I can see you’re in a “better place", and refocused. And a fill is exactly what you needed.

IMHO journaling is extremely important in order to keep one focused. I use an on-line version – the Daily Plate. It’s a great site, with an extensive listing of foods, or you can manually put in the information. The Realize and Lap Band sites also have their own, and also free.

My final advice, try to go to support groups. I know they help me immensely, and keep me on track.  

Good luck, and remember we’ll be here for you if you need.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Hislady
on 2/17/11 5:36 am - Vancouver, WA
Yeah what Tom said! Just remember it's better to jump on the problem now and not when it gets to be 17 lbs or 27 lbs. You probably need another small fill and that would get you back on track. The doc is there to help you not to blame you, the 7 lbs just means you need an adjustment to your band. Go for it and then get going!
Most Active