How much weight did you lose before surgery?

RobinJoy13601
on 2/16/11 3:49 am
Hi, Im new here and wondering how much weight everyone had lost before surgery.  I am 5'5 started at 272 over a month ago and down 20lbs.  I am watching my diet and using the eliptical daily for 60 minutes.   I know the intital weight loss will slow down to 1-2 pounds a week, but what I am afraid of is losing too much not to qualify for surgery.  Anyone else have this issue?   
Hislady
on 2/17/11 5:40 am - Vancouver, WA
If your doc weighed you at 272 that should be your qualifying weight. I lost 25 lbs pre-op over a year. Also remember you won't always lose 1-2 lbs a week there will be stalls and slow downs, it is a long slow process. Just coast thru the stalls and remember that too shall pass and don't use it as an excuse to go on a feeding frenzy.Best of luck to you!
RobinJoy13601
on 2/18/11 3:03 am
thanks for replying.  I was hoping that my orignal weight would be the qualifying weight.  I started eating right and working out January 17th and it has only been a month so far.  My Doctor stated it would possibly take 4 months to get started.  I was just afraid that I would get below the "qualilfying BMI" before the procedure.  I go back next week and can ask what their specifics are but was wondering if anyone was under the qualifying BMI for their surgery. 
rich_in_nfpa
on 2/21/11 5:52 am - New Freedom, PA
I was warned by my doctor not to let my weight fall too much. I started at 292 and lost almost 15 pounds in the first 2 months (I could always lose weight -- I just couldn't keep it off!). He told me my BMI needed to be at least 35 (I had co-morbidities so didn't need to be 40 or above). I spent the next six months trying to change my eating habits but not to lose any more weight. I think that was more difficult than dieting to lose. Maintenance was always my issue.

I think the insurance companies use your weight at the time the doctor's office contacts them for authorization for the surgery which will be after you complete any required tests, counseling and/or informational sessions. Once your doctor's office has the authorization (I think mine was good for 6 months), it wont matter if you lose more weight before the actual surgery. In fact, with the pre-op diet I got down to 265 by my surgery date.

HTH

Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Most Active