REALIZE BAND......Now I realize I should had said NO!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/11 5:04 pm

Life Threatening Adverse Event Involving Realize Band................. In September 2009, I underwent gastric band surgery for placement of a Realize Band. In February 2011, (17 months) after initial band surgery, I experienced a life threatening adverse event (i.e. complication) that is not listed in any product information literature provided by Realize Band manufacturer Ethicon-Endo Surgery Inc. A Bowel Obstruction caused by the Realize Band (Tubing) whi*****luded my small intestine, large intestine, and other internal organs, resulted in emergency surgery. Although I have the medical diagnosis to support my claims/allegations, to no surprise when I contacted Ethicon-Endo Surgery Inc. consumer hotline, I was informed a Bowel Obstruction being caused by the Realize Band (Tubing) was unheard of. What I experienced is something that any patient /consumer considering gastric band surgery or who has already undergone gastric band surgery for placement of a Realize Band has a right to and must be informed about.

MARIA F.
on 2/9/11 7:42 am - Athens, GA

Thanks so much for posting that and trying to help others! I am constantly posting on the Lap Band forum about band issues. The Lap Band forum is a much more HOSTILE forum than this one and I have been attaced on there NUMEROUS times for posting about band complications or posting band stats. I have also been told numerous times to NOT post on that forum! It is so sad that bandsters have to deal with the issues of ineffective bands........plus have to deal with manufacturers that deny band problems, and fellow bandsters that feel the need to needlessly attack us.

Sorry about your band problem and good luck!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Kim H.
on 2/17/11 7:35 pm - Duluth, MN
What is the difference between "Lap Band", and "Realize Band"? Could someone clarify that for me , please?

~Kim~

Tom C.
on 2/17/11 9:22 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

I tell people it's like the difference between a Toyota and a Honda.

Very slight differences:

Sizes - Realize has two sizes 9cc (the older one) and 11c (the one they use now), Lap band has 4 sizes - 2 which are "older" (4cc) and 2 which are currently used (10cc and 14cc). - But the size doesn't really matter because when 'fully inflated' they all close to the same diameter

Ports - The Realize port is concave and the Lap band is convex. The way they “attach" to the muscle is a little different. Realize has “pinchers".

Tubing connection is a little different on each.

Maybe this website will help

http://www.wlshelp.com/lap-band-vs-realize-band.html

Remember these are only a tool. How you use these tools will make all the difference.

I
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 2/18/11 12:53 am - Duluth, MN
Thank you Tom, for your patience and willingness to answer questions. The closer my surgery date gets (10 days!!) the more questions I seem to have.

~Kim~

Tom C.
on 2/18/11 12:58 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
No thanks necessary. That's why we're here!!!

After the operation you'll have 10,000 more questions. Heck 3 years out I have lots of questions :D

Ask away !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
crystal M.
on 2/9/11 10:34 am - Joliet, IL

Hello

I'm not surprised that a company would want to hide an unpleasant (life threatening) new side effect.  I'm sure you aren't the first.  I would go to great lengths to make sure they start listing this as  side effect.  I'm not sure who you would call.  Maybe the Better Business Bureau can help or point you in the right direction.  It's just like anything else...they won't warn anyone until someone dies. 

So did you have your band removed???  Did the doctors give you details of what happene...did the tubing migrate down and wrap it's self around your intestines?  Sorry for all of the nosey questions.  I am very sorry about what happened to you.   Good luck

nit3shad32
on 2/9/11 1:53 pm, edited 2/9/11 1:55 pm
This is will be my last post.......apparently my account has been deactivated twice today.......i will continue sharing my story about the REALIZE BAND and what it did to me.  Thanks for all responses.

NIT3SHAD3
MARIA F.
on 2/9/11 2:35 pm - Athens, GA

Sorry they are deactivating your account for speaking up and warning other! :-(

U can contact me at: [email protected]

Good luck!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

WASaBubbleButt
on 2/18/11 7:59 am - Mexico
On February 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM Pacific Time, nit3shad32 wrote:
This is will be my last post.......apparently my account has been deactivated twice today.......i will continue sharing my story about the REALIZE BAND and what it did to me.  Thanks for all responses.

NIT3SHAD3

No no no!!  Much as I am not a fan of OH staff this is not OH deactivating you for telling your story, this is a bug in the system.  It seems to be happening more and more.  Just email them and they will reactivate your account.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active