baseline for first fill?

cduval04
on 2/8/11 4:48 am
 hello, been over at lapbandtalk.com but found this forum and saw it had more "realize" band specifics....I was wondering if there was a protocol for how many cc's they put in the realize-c band on the first fill...or if it's just the physicians judgement to decide how many cc's on the first fill...I stupidly did not ask how many she was putting in...(I was too distracted by the needle it took her forever to fine the center of my port I could hear the needle scraping against the plastic and everything she bent the tip of the first needle to had to stick me a second time, and then she said I had a "seroma" which is a serous fluid filled sack that is common to develop after abdominal surgery so she was trying to go through/around that.....she was even cussing she was so frusterated...which made me laugh of course :) ) 

so after all that I forgot to ask her how much she actually put in....she was sure to put emphasis on the "delayed" action of the fill and said chances are I might not feel restriction for up to a few weeks...needless to say...still waiting.....this is day 8..there is still more restriction that if there was no band there at all, but I still cannot go without snacking and stick to 3 meals, and if I do try, i end up too hungry and then when I do eat my meal I eat it wayy to fast....I know---bad....it's a whole new learning curve...

anyway the realize-c is an 11cc band, so about how much do they put in on the first fill? like, I really cant even guess maybe 2 or 3 or something or am I way off?

anyone who can share experinces from their first fill that would be appreciated...also how much weight had you lost from op-day to your first fill?? I have only lost 11lbs and I know that's awesome but somehow I feel like I should have lost more...I lost all restriction 1 week after surgery.
Tom C.
on 2/8/11 8:52 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
You are correct in saying each Doctor is different, and have their own philosophy concerning fills.

There is no set number. Most Doctors who do it "blindly" (aka poke and hope) usually start off with around 2cc. If they did it under fluoroscope it could be a lot more.

You can always call the office and ask.

Good luck, and keep us posted how things go.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
crystal M.
on 2/8/11 12:10 pm - Joliet, IL
I have the same band as yours and my fills are done under fluoro...they put 5 ccs in my band on my first visit.  Very few people have significant restriction on the first fill.  That usually takes 3-5 fills or more.  For me it took 7 fills.  I now have 9.9 ccs in my band.  Everyone is different...some have restriction right away but some are like me and need many fills before you feel good restriction. 

I'm not really sure why more doctors don't explain restriction to their patients.  For instance it's normal to lose restriction after the first week or so after surgery because the swelling of surgery goes down.  I can't really remember how much I lost the first month.  Maybe 10 lbs???

And not everyone has a delayed reaction to fills.  In fact until I got to my current restriction level I would feel restriction for a week right after my fills and then it was gone...I attributed that to temporary swelling from the fill. 

Just keep going in for your fills and eventually it will happen for you. 
Considering_It
on 2/9/11 5:18 am

My first fill (all of them actually) were done under flouroscopy.  I believe I got 4.5 cc and that was based on what the doctor saw inregards to restriction and what I felt.  I did have to go on to 2 more fills to get to where I'm at (9.75).  Not sure I'm at my sweet spot, but I would be hesititant to fill anymore right now because dense proteins are a problem for me.

Good luck and don't be discouraged.  I had 1 fill by the PA that was awful (couldn't get the needle into the port etc etc). 

Denise R.
on 2/9/11 1:08 pm - Manchester, NH
Hi, I had my band place December 2, 2010 and had my first fill 4 weeks later. My surgeon put in 5 cc's on that first fill. I lost 9 pounds between surgery and my first fill. He then put in an additional 2 cc's at my 8-week post-op. I now have 7 cc's in my band.

I certainly can understand the distraction of the needles. It's a little intimidating but doesn't really hurt much. I only feel the initial stick but I don't feel anything while he works to get the needle into my port. I actually can feel it click in.

I thought I should have lost more that 5 pounds during the first two weeks after surgery, I was so hungry that second week of liquids. But now I don't have alot of hunger. My concern is mostly a fear of overeating. I am still working on figuring out the eating part of my band.

I started at 240 and went to surgery at 212. I was 204 at week 4 (first fill) and then 195 at week 8 (second fill) I am currently 192 pounds and feeling great. Still much more to go. I didn't get to 240 overnight so I'm not expecting to lose it overnight either. Keep hanging in there and take it day by day I know we can all do this.

Most Active