Had my surgery today

T. Christian
on 1/24/11 12:14 pm
Okay...it feels good to be an official "LOSER!!"

So as I discussed earlier, my surgery started one hour late which was fine by me because that gave  my mom a chance to see me before surgery. That felt great to talk and joke with her before I went under.  Pre-op they gave me medicine to "take the edge off of my anxiety" and to make my mouth very dry so that I wasn't slobbering and drooling during the procedure. Now when I say my mouth was dry, I mean there was NO fluid in my mouth and every time I tried to speak, the inside of my lips stuck to my teeth..LOL! I never experienced such a thing. Okay here was my experience with surgery..

I went under in no time..LOL! It was just like I took a very brief nap.  When I woke up, I heard "Telisha, honey can you hear me? How do you feel?".   As I tried to answer I started coughing uncontrollably. Thank goodness I remembered to hold my belly as I coughed. My throat was RAW and mouth DRY.  They gave me a breathing treatment and said my oxygen was 100%.  I was still having trouble breathing without coughing alto.  The nurse got eye level with me and said " Telisha, look at me, your oxygen level is at 100% so I'm just gonna walk you through breathing".  She started a breathing pattern of short shallow breathes in and out with me. OMG! That was awesome because she got me to breathe without coughing alot AND gave me a cup of water that had a straw type thingy with a tiny sponge at the end. She told me to wet my lips and my tongue but don't swallow.  That helped my cotton mouth.  I was given an once of water to make sure I could keep it down without it coming back up. I could. Later I was given an ounce of liquid medicine and 1 ounce of apple juice (watered down of course).   The only pain I felt was on the left side of my belly where the port was and I had sharp pains throughout my belly.  I was told it was air.  I drifted in and out throughout the day. Once my pain was under control I was able to walk and use the restroom. I had NO idea I was holding so much fluid! LOL!

I am now to take in 4 OZ of fluids every 1 HR which is going very well!  I keep an ice pack on the incision where the port is. Feels awesome.  I am definitely staying on top of my pain meds.  My tummy seemed to have gone down some thanks to unexpected burbs here and there..LOL!  Overall my experience went great...Way better than I thought it was gonna be!!!  I have a one week follow up scheduled and then in 4 weeks I'll have my first fill.

I am thrilled the surgery is finally done and I can move forward.  BTW, I thought I'd feel my band or port and I cannot feel either which is cool.

Thank you everyone for the messages and support. I really, really appreciate it.  Also I have a couple of pics posted from today.

See ya later,
Telisha
Follow me @ www.Trim4Life.blogspot.com

Beginning weight before 10 days of liquids: 313. LBS 1/14/11 ** Pre-surgery weight: 298 1/24/11 
Confirmed Pregnancy- 3-14-11 ** Birth of Baby girl 11-1-11
*Never expect perfection from an imperfect person.

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/11 9:24 pm - Hatboro, PA
Congrats on having your surgery.  Good luck on your weight loss journey!   I wish you a speedy recovery.

Have a great day,
David
L B.
on 1/24/11 9:32 pm, edited 1/24/11 9:33 pm
Good luck on your success  and I hoipe your feeling well!!
I am loosing 1-2 pounds a day so far and its been 5 days now ! Its crazy! ... Plus Im being a little constipated so Im thinking to myself .. Is this real ??  Thank God almighty it is! I cant wait to fit into the clothes that I already grew out of!
Tom C.
on 1/25/11 2:48 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Hey Loser  Welcome to this side of the fence!! Thanks for detailing your experience. I know if helped many today !!

Make sure you keep us up-to-date on your journey, and know we're here for you !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 1/29/11 12:21 am - Duluth, MN
Thanks Telisha, I appreciate your "diary" of the surgery day. I will be having my banding surgery sometime in February. Next on the list, still waiting for a date. Am getting anxious, I want this so badly, but I also want it to be over with so I can go on with the rest of my life and get healthy.  Reading your post comforted me a lot!! I am so grateful to you, you will never know how much!! Thank you , thank you , thank you! God bless you and Good Luck on your journey!

~Kim~

~Kim~

T. Christian
on 1/29/11 2:46 am
No problem at all.  That's what we are all here for. To help each other. Good luck on your journey as well!
Follow me @ www.Trim4Life.blogspot.com

Beginning weight before 10 days of liquids: 313. LBS 1/14/11 ** Pre-surgery weight: 298 1/24/11 
Confirmed Pregnancy- 3-14-11 ** Birth of Baby girl 11-1-11
*Never expect perfection from an imperfect person.

Kim H.
on 1/29/11 7:04 am - Duluth, MN
I will keep you posted, thanks!

~Kim~

rawkonchic
on 2/22/11 11:25 am - IL
Telisha,
Thank you so much for this post. I have my surgery March 4th and it's great to read this. It really helps, you have no idea. I just signed up and i am ready to read all about everything, ups and downs but i know i can count on the fourm to help me. Thanks again. I look forward to reading more.
Tina
Tom C.
on 2/22/11 6:43 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Tina,

Can't wait to see you on the Loser's Bench in our Winner's Circle!!

Let us know how it turns out!!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active