BACK TO THE BASICS - Results .. so far ...

Tom C.
on 1/18/11 2:02 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

As I have posted earlier, this past Holiday season was not so good for me (AGAIN). I did not remain focus, and as a consequence I gained weight. How much, I am not sure because I did not weigh myself. I was embarrassed, and guilty, and afraid to see the number. All I knew is my “goal pants" (which are pants that are one size smaller then I normally wear – and could get into) I couldn’t even come close to buckling them. You think after almost 3 years I would have learned, buuutttt nooooooooooo (sorry John Belushi)!!!

Did I wallow in my pity? Did I throw in the towel? Did I feel like I was a failure? The answers are No! No! and a big NO! I took my own advice, and went BACK TO THE BASICS. I pretended I just had the operation, and needed to do all the stages over.

For the last 2 (going on 3) weeks I have been on the STAGE 1 – LIQUID phase. I am detoxing my body of the sugars and bad carbs. And it has worked. I no longer have the cravings I did during the holidays.

Plus I am making sure I am doing all the other "rules to be succesful". I am hitting my 60 to 80 grams of protein; having the 64 ounces of NON-CARBONATE/DECAFFEINATED liquid;. not drinking 30 minutes before/after or during my meal. 

This past Friday I decided to get on the scale to see how much damage was done, and to my surprised I was 252, instead of my normal 250. Today I tried on my “goal pants" and I was able to latch them and zipper them. They are still a tad tight, so I am staying on the liquids for another week (or two). Just to make sure I am below 250, and help me get to this year’s goal (to be 232 by next January).

Nowhere in the literature did it say this was going to be an easy road, and (for me) it’s not. Every day I need to stay focused, and make good choices. I also need to realize this isn’t a diet plan; it’s a way of life. So during this journey: slips, stumbles and falls will occur. What I do when this happens is truly important. I needed to get myself up, dust myself off, and then continue down the road to success. I am realizing I am stronger than any craving or any food.

I sat myself down and asked myself “Where did I come from" .. then asked myself “Why did I do this operation" – basically the answer is because it’s a last resort. So why am I sabotaging myself?

For anyone in a similar boat remember: It took strength to admit we have a problem we can’t control. It took strength to decide to have an operation. It took strength to do what was needed before and after the operation. It took strength to say “I need help" .. So we have the strength, now we need to call on it.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
dlee40
on 1/20/11 8:14 am - TX
Good for you for going back to basics! But I have a question -- how do you get the necessary amount of protein with just liquids? Heck -- I have trouble getting enough with regular food! This is a serious question -- I really want to know how to get enough protein with liquid or with other phases of the process.

But I am glad to know I can go back to the beginning.

I'm an information kind of person -- a writer and editor *****ads up on anything new -- and I feel like I am lacking enough information and have been from the beginning about the right kinds of things to eat/drink and/or how much to eat/drink, what to expect, etc.

I had my surgery 10/28, and when I had my first fill in early December, I had no sense of restriction whatsoever for more than three weeks. I hadn't known what to expect, but it wasn't that. Then suddenly I had so much restriction that I was miserable; after I had some of the fill removed, I could eat, but only four or five tiny bites and then I was miserable again. I WANT MORE INFORMATION!
Tom C.
on 1/20/11 8:00 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

In the liquid stage, some ways to make sure you are getting your protein needs is by having Protein supplements. I am making my soups with Skim Milk which ups the Protein (Skim Milk Plus has more protein then normal skim milk). I am also eating yogurt which too adds to the Protein (Greek yogurt is high in protein). My Oatmeal has about 5 grams of protein; the soup I am having has about 5 grams of protein per meal.

So basically:

Oatmeal – once a day = 5 grams

Soup with Skim milk – 2 times a day = 13 grams

Yogurt – twice a day = up to 20 grams if you eat Greek

Protein drink – once/twice a day = 16 grams

Total between 62 and 78 grams of protein daily – which is between the 60 and 80 grams MY Doctor and/or Nutritionists recommends.

We’re here to answer any question so don’t hesitate. However I always forewarn it’s that our advice should not be taken in lieu of Doctor/Nutritionists directions. They know you, and your condition/operation needs better then us. Always speak to them either before changing or with any questions. That’s why they are there. Remember, you are the client/consumer. If you’re paying for a service, you want the best service for that money. If not, move on. You are worth THE BEST because YOU ARE THE BEST. . If you feel you’re not getting the support from them, then you need to go to another Doctor/Nutritionists.     

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
dlee40
on 1/24/11 2:34 am - TX
Just realized I had another question regarding portion sizes -- particularly with the soup/skim milk and the protein drink. How many ounces?
Tom C.
on 1/24/11 3:07 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
As I always suggest, please speak to your Doctor/Nutritionists before making any changes to your intake. They may have different and/or specific instructions for you due to your condition.

With that said, at this point I am concerned calories & Protein  - however when you first begin you shouldn't be too concerned about calories but make sure you get your protein numbers. But remember, you need to use common sense. Eating an entire cheesecake to get your protein requirements won't do it.

Since I am having "cream" soups, and entire can  is approximately 175 calories with 2.5 grams of protein. Add one cup of skim milk to that, and the calories are then around 255 calories and 10 grams of protein (using skim plus will be around 15 grams of protein - if not more).

Here are guideline concerning protein drink

Each serving should have the lowest amount of calories (less than 150) with no more than 30 grams of protein per serving (20 to 25 ideal) and less than 10 grams of carbohydrates (5 to 8 ideal).

Tom

dlee40
on 1/24/11 3:50 am - TX
Don't mean to be hounding you, but your comments brought up another question -- or maybe the same question. So you're using an entire can of soup and adding a cup of skim milk to that -- so that is about 2 cups of liquid. Is that OK? Not too much?

Same question about the protein drink -- how many ounces is that and how many ounces is too many ounces?

My experience when I first was on liquids was that I was opening a can of soup, adding milk or water and drinking the whole thing -- or should I say "sipping" it very slowly. But it later occurred to me that the amount was too much.

I have not had much trouble with keeping my bitefuls the right size when I'm eating regular food, but I definitely think I'm eating too much and too quickly, so I'm focusing on that  (smaller portions and putting my fork down between bites, etc.) and am considering going back to the liquid diet -- your "Back to Basics" -- for a short time to get my stomach adjusted to smaller amounts. That's why the questions -- I don't want to drink too much at a time, or that may defeat the purpose.
Tom C.
on 1/24/11 6:36 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

When it comes to liquids you're suppose to get a MINIMUM 64 ounces of non-carbonate decaffeinated liquids. There is no such thing as a MAXIMUM.

With that said, MY DOCTOR (and each is different) felt (in the beginning) when it came to soup you should have enough until you felt full - with a 1 can maximum. So I can't see why one can is too much. Remember since it's a liquid it will "pass" quicker then solid proteins.

As for protein drink, again an 8 to 10 (12) ounce serving is fine. Remember read the instructions concerning the protein drink. If a bottle states the protein drink has 90 calories; 24 grams of protein; 2 carbs per serving, and the bottle is 16 ounces and is considered 1 serving, then you can have it. But if the 16 ounce bottle has 2.5 serving in it, then drink only about 1/2 (8 ounces) of the bottle. If using powder, they usually tell you 1 scoop for every XX ounces of water/skim milk.

As for eating FOR ME I use a tea spoon and/or salad folk when eating. And I eat by stop watch. I set it for 30 minutes and each minute that passes I put a piece of food in my mouth. I chew it for 30 seconds. Swallow. Wait another 30 seconds and put the next piece into my mouth. This way a meal (even soup) last 30+ minutes. Studies show it takes between 20 and 30 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain it's full. No matter how much you eat. So the slower you go and the longer the meal lasts, the "less" you'll take in; you'll feel fuller "quicker" and longer.

Tom

marilyn09
on 1/22/11 5:22 am - Enid, OK
Thank you,Tom for posting this. I too, have gotten off track these past few months with the holidays. But now, with your encouragement and wisdom....I too, can go back to the basics and find hope not to give up. Thank you again.
This lifetime will never come again, it is precious and irreplaceable. To live without regret, we must have a concrete purpose, continually setting a goal and challenge for ourselves. And we need to keep moving toward those specific targets steadily and tenaciously, one step at a time.- Daisaku Ikeda

Most Active