bmi of 59 wanting to do realize band

jlrbsr1
on 1/14/11 1:06 pm - Dahlgren, IL
I was just wondering if anyone has had a high bmi and lost weight to be able to have surgery and if so, how are you doing?  Any tips for trying to lose weight pre-op?  thanks
Tom C.
on 1/14/11 9:10 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

I was around 56, and I have lost around 185 to 190 pounds. I am 3 years out, and haven't had one single regret.

I will admit my result is not normal, however I have meet quite a few "abnormal" results folks :D

Good luck!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
jlrbsr1
on 1/14/11 10:48 pm - Dahlgren, IL
Wow, that is so amazing.  Makes me more pumped up to do this.  Started liquid protein shakes today.  I'm going to put every second I can into working hard.  Ready to do something for myself for a change.  Thanks for your input!!  =:-)
Tom C.
on 1/14/11 11:26 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

I won't lie to you, my results are not typical, and I work at it every day. But I have met a lot of other people who have worked it every day, and they also fall into the "not typical" category.

Good luck, and know I am here if you need.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
crystal M.
on 1/15/11 3:12 am, edited 1/15/11 3:26 am - Joliet, IL
Make sure you exercise.  You might not meet your goal weight with diet alone.  Then again why wouldn't you exercise it's soooo good for you.  But with the right attitude, change in food habits and lots and lots of exercise...I don't see why you wouldn't succeed. 

It is a lot of work.  I have to work to make good food choices every day.  I work out 90 minutes a day, 6 days a week.  I know a lot of people try to skimp on the exercise but I think they are cheating themselves.  If people are able to lose weight and not exercise then those people are losing a lot of muscle mass.  When anyone loses weight they lose muscle too...if you don't compinsate with exercise then it will be easier for those people to regain later on.  Those of us that work hard and made exercise a part of their life we will be healthier and less likely to regain!!!  I had a BMI of 52 when I started.  I have lost 123 lbs. and almost at my 2 year anniversary and I am still losing consistantly every week.  I work to make the right choices.  I don't depend on my band to do it for me.  It helps me stay away from carbs...I can't eat pasta, freanch fries or bread anymore (which I am thankful for) it helps with portion control.  What it doesn't do is keep me from pigging out on slidder foods like ice cream or potato chips (and tons of other yummy things).  It also doesn't keep me from choosing the fattening food versus the good food.  Know your band's limitations.  It's not a magical band, it's a tool.  The band is not automatic weight loss like other surgeries.  The more you weigh the more challenging it can be to get to goal.          
Ashley A.
on 1/15/11 4:12 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12
I had a BMI of 63.3 when going into surgery. I'm 5 11" and weighed 454 lbs. I have lost 200 lbs so far. I am 25 months post op. I have been lucky with the band thus far as far as losing weight, but if you have the dedication and motivation, you can do it! Many people didn't think I would succeed with band since I was so big but I knew I could do it. It does take a lot of wok and self control. 

I don't really have any tips for losing weight pre-op, I had a quick approval and I scheduled surgery quickly after, my surgeon required a 10 day liquid diet prior to surgery so I followed that but to be honest that was about all the dieting I did before surgery. Its great that you are starting protein shakes now so you know what you will like after surgery. Good Luck with your journey!

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

Hislady
on 1/15/11 4:42 am - Vancouver, WA
Just my opinion but I wouldn't suggest a band for anyone! They are the least effective form of weight lose surgery and just don't work for alot of people. They really only work if you are a volume eater otherwise not so much. Please just take time to study up on all 4 types of surgery so you can make an informed choice. Good luck to you!!
jlrbsr1
on 1/15/11 10:25 pm - Dahlgren, IL
Thanks everyone for all your input. I know I can do this, sometimes you just wonder how other people have done.  The surgeon told me to takl to other people and it's very helpful.  My husband is my biggest fan and he is by my side every step.  I am exercising and trying to keep focused.  It's something I want so bad.  Have wanted for a very long time.  Thank you!!
SwedishBlonde79
on 1/17/11 12:53 am
I'm 3 months post op with the Realize band and have lost 30 pounds. I would do it again. I love my band and can feel restriction. I'm at 7cc's and have a good fit. I have started exercising more and can tell I'm loosing more inches. I love my band and it's changed my life!!! Blessings on what ever you decide!

Denise

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/18/11 6:39 am - Mexico
Just keep in mind that the band has the slowest weight loss, the least weight loss, the highest regain, and the most mechanical complications of all four surgery types.

25% need their band removed in the first 5 years and another 25% need a 2nd surgery to fix a mechanical problems in the first 5 years.

Check out all four surgery types and make sure you are getting the right one the first time. Many ins co's are changing to a once in a life time WLS rule. If the band doesn't do the job for you, if you slip or erode, you'll be self pay for a revision and they are expensive.

If you are looking for restriction only check out sleeves, they are the safest surgery type long term. If you want malabsorption then check out DS. If ins does not cover APPEAL!

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active