Officially disappointed in Realize band!

nativenewyorker64
on 1/8/11 2:07 pm - UT
After 14 months and no weight loss I officially hate this band. I can say that because I chose a revision to another band because my body was rejecting my first band. I loved my first band and lost 60 pounds with it. I have officially gained 20 pounds plus  with the realize band. It really doesn't do anything. I am at 8cc's and still not much. I am not giving up hope and will start weigh****chers on Tuesday before I can't fit into any of my clothes. Would love to hear what others think of their band.

Lucy
crystal M.
on 1/8/11 11:28 pm - Joliet, IL

The truth of the matter is that the band by it self was not cutting it.  I was losing weight very slowly or not at all.  I was very upset that I chose the band.  But sitting around feeling sorry for myself or getting angry wasn't helping me.  I made the choices I made and I have to live with them.  I decided to give it my full effort.  I am currently at 9.7 ccs right now and I do have restriction but not the way every other person on this board describes.  If I allow myself I can eat more than I should and I get hungry abot 2 hours after I eat and want to snack. 

The thing that made the BIG difference for me was exercise.  I have lost 40 lbs in 3 months!!!  I haven't changed much about my eating habits.  I did cut out more carbs.  I started exercising...at first doing about 30 minutes on the treadmill.  I now do 60 minutes, 5-6 days a week.  I also do weights for 20 minutes a day.  I also walk at work 30 minutes a day.  I have read where people only go for walks for their exercise but that doesn't do it for me.  I think if you are physically able you should work out.  when I work out I work out for 90 minutes when I'm done I am full of sweat.  That is the kind of working out I needed.  If people are able to get to their goal weight by diet alone or doing a little bit of walking that's great but most people need more that's why people regain all of the time.  I am realizing more and more that not including any exercise in your routine to lose weight is going to lead to failure.  I am not sure why I was so resistant to working out.  

So I have to say it is my exercising that has lead to me losing 40 lbs not my band.  My band helps curb my appetite but working out and my own will power is what is helping me the most.   

nativenewyorker64
on 1/9/11 2:58 am - UT
Thanks! Tomorrow I will hop on the treadmill and start moving.
MaMa_M
on 1/9/11 8:00 pm - MI
I have had my Realize Band for 15 months. I have lost 85 lbs and am off my blood pressure meds and no longer have high sugar counts. I am not at goal yet but I feel GREAT. I too can eat more than the recommended amounts if I pu**** The thing I had to learn was not to eat until I can't eat anymore but to eat until I am satisfied. If I take my time eatting I can do that and feel satisfied for 3-4 hours. When I am hungry sooner than 3 hours it is time to start thinking about a fill.

Exercise for me is a must...no exercise means no loss...I don't need much, I generally do 30 min. of arobics 3-4 times a week and that seems to do it for me. Right now I need to concentrate on toning...

Best of luck to you. Don't give up it can be done.
MaMa M

patsueham
on 1/10/11 11:48 am - Coker, AL
I am so glad I sign on tonite, and read the post ! I am coming up on my  1 year annv. and have only lost 30 pounds..........I have been so discourage I just quit coming to the boards..................Abd I've been off the program for a while, so starting to tomorrow I'm going back to the basics, starting out on liquids for a few days................I got out of hand during the holidays and have not got back in control..........so ladies wish me luck and I will be back!
SUE IN COKER        
MARIA F.
on 1/11/11 5:42 pm - Athens, GA
I certainly understand your frustration! A band with no restriction/sweet spot is completely useless!

I think my band has been a complete waste of time and MONEY! Worst decision I could have made! I have noticed that the Drs. don't tell u that some ppl NEVER reach restriction!

Even the ASMBS is now pretty much saying that the band is very ineffective:

www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ASMBS/20919

FormerlyFluffy.com

wheezygirl
on 1/12/11 11:22 pm
 Maria, where are you finding this info @ASMBS? I went there last night and found very little info, I have surgery sheduled for March but am having second thoughts!

Stephanie M.
on 1/15/11 12:25 am
This study ran from 1999 to 2003 and IMHO is outdated.

I have lost 46 lbs post op doing NO exercise...

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

MARIA F.
on 2/6/11 9:16 am - Athens, GA

I am so sorry! I just noticed your post! That was not on the ASMBS website. I think it was on the Medlink website? Anyway that is a study that was presented at the ASMBS annual conference in Vegas in 2010.

I am hopine you will reconsider and have a more effective WLS. Had I known then what I know now I NEVER would have gotten the band!

Please read my post I just  made about researching BEFORE the band: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/LapBand/4316546/Lap-Band-Realize-Band-BEWARE/

FormerlyFluffy.com

wheezygirl
on 1/12/11 11:44 pm
 Sorry Maria I found it after I sent my post. Thanks! If you had to choose between Band or nothing, which would you do?
Most Active