Let's Help Each Other (Reaching Out)

Butterfly618
on 1/7/11 1:37 am - NJ

At the beginning of a new year is a great time to evaluate what is working in life, and what isn't. To try something new (and "trying" doesn't always mean action). To seek new resources and information.

What is working for you?

What isn't working? Why?

What Stories are you telling yourself?

Share with the rest of us.  You never know your helpfull hint can help someone back  on the bandwagon!!!

"SUCCESS IS A LIFESTYLE, NOT A DIET"
Please visit my OH  Support group:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/allinthemind/welcome/

Where you will find helpful strategies to achieve you goals

Highest 325.7lbs Surgery 295lbs Current 244lbs 

crystal M.
on 1/8/11 11:07 pm - Joliet, IL
I would say for myself losing weight was a challenge...even with the band.  I was losing at a ver slow rate.  I wa****ting plateaus constantly...I lost only 2 pounds during the summer!!!!   The thing that made the BIG difference for me was exercise (for me this made more of a help than the band).  I started out doing about 30 minutes on the treadmill.  I now do 60 minutes, 5-6 days a week.  I also do weights.  The reason I weight lift/ strength train is everything I read about metabolsim says that muscle burns calories (that is the main reason men lose weight faster than we do).  This is a very important part of working out. If you increase your metabolism then we wouldn't have to be so strict with our diets...we would be able to eat a little more without fear of gaining!!!   

Since I have started this routine I have lost close to 40 lbs...since October.  As far as eating I keep track of my calories and carbs obsessively.  I stay around 1000-1200 calories and almost never eat more than 25-45 carbs a day.  The first month of working out was the best...I lost 16 lbs!!!  The next month I lost 12.  December the month everyone gains I lost 8 lbs...and I know the first of January I already lost 3 lbs!!!  The band helps curb my appetite but the working out is what is making me lose weight.  

For me the truth of the matter is WLS or not there is no easy way out.  As much as I tried to avoid it exercise was mandatory for my weight loss.  And to be honest I'm glad I am getting healthier and healthier every day.  I am optimistic for the first time in years about losing the weight.
Butterfly618
on 1/12/11 1:35 am - NJ
Sometimes all it takes to push us to work the band is to change things up and get excited about it.  Doing Exercise is doing just that for you. Keep up the great work. That is great the you too lost during the holiday.  It was hard but I did too.   Come and join All In The Mind support group.  There is great stuff posted there that will help get you head in the game.  Good Luck to you. 

Tom C.
on 1/9/11 11:55 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

What is working for you? – The band, when I follow the rules. I have been very happy and satisfied with my results, even 3 years out.

What isn't working? Why? – I haven’t hit myself imposed goal. My lowest weight was 243, and I would love to get to 232 (because that’s when I officially become overweight and no longer obese ;D). The reason I have not hit my goal has many factors. One, I really think this is where my body is suppose to be. So if I never lose another pound, I am fine. I rather be around 250 then 435 any day. Second, since January 2010 I wasn’t 100% focused. I toyed with foods, but made sure I didn’t get too out of control. Since 2010 was “SO LAST YEAR", beginning last week I got refocused, and decided 2011 is when I get 232. I went BACK TO THE BASICS by pretending I just had the operation. I am going into my 2nd week of the “Liquid" phase, and may do this for another week or two. Believe it or not, for me it’s not too hard. I am going try everything I can to get down to 232 by the end of the year. If I do, great. And if not, there is always 2012.

What Stories are you telling yourself? – The story this year is two-folded. One, let’s shoot to 232 (as mentioned above). The 2nd – let’s see if we can run a marathon. Now mind you, this is from the guy who wouldn’t run to the bathroom. Again, if I hit this goal – great. And if not, at least it’s more than I was doing a year ago.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Butterfly618
on 1/12/11 1:35 am - NJ
As always Tom you are my inspiration <3

blessed_1970
on 1/14/11 3:39 am
On January 10, 2011 at 7:55 AM Pacific Time, Tom C. wrote:

What is working for you? – The band, when I follow the rules. I have been very happy and satisfied with my results, even 3 years out.

What isn't working? Why? – I haven’t hit myself imposed goal. My lowest weight was 243, and I would love to get to 232 (because that’s when I officially become overweight and no longer obese ;D). The reason I have not hit my goal has many factors. One, I really think this is where my body is suppose to be. So if I never lose another pound, I am fine. I rather be around 250 then 435 any day. Second, since January 2010 I wasn’t 100% focused. I toyed with foods, but made sure I didn’t get too out of control. Since 2010 was “SO LAST YEAR", beginning last week I got refocused, and decided 2011 is when I get 232. I went BACK TO THE BASICS by pretending I just had the operation. I am going into my 2nd week of the “Liquid" phase, and may do this for another week or two. Believe it or not, for me it’s not too hard. I am going try everything I can to get down to 232 by the end of the year. If I do, great. And if not, there is always 2012.

What Stories are you telling yourself? – The story this year is two-folded. One, let’s shoot to 232 (as mentioned above). The 2nd – let’s see if we can run a marathon. Now mind you, this is from the guy who wouldn’t run to the bathroom. Again, if I hit this goal – great. And if not, at least it’s more than I was doing a year ago.

Tom,
You are my inspiration!! Ive had my realize band for two months and Ive lost 28 pounds!! Sure I mess up sometimes, but I dont dwell on my faults!! I start over again!! I LOVE my band!! I'd do it all over again!!! It is JUST a tool!! I was told that from the beginning!!! My best friend lost over 100 pounds in a year from the realize band!! I KNOW it WORKS "IF" rules are FOLLOWED!!! Thanks TOM!!!! Joyce
James M.
on 1/12/11 1:24 am - SAGINAW, MN
Well I have had my band for about a year and a half now. I have lost and kept off about 50 lbs.

My band is working......I have not been working..out that is

This year I joined a gym and have been doing weights and cardio,I feel great,lost 5 lbs. the first week (I actually forgot how nice it is to see that scale move south) and cant wait to workout again, Im also giving up alot of slider food.

Wish me luck and GL to you all
MARTY

Butterfly618
on 1/12/11 1:32 am - NJ
James sometimes all it takes to push us to work the band is to change things up and get excited about it.  Keep up the great work.  Come and join All In The Mind support group.  There is great stuff posted there that will help get you head in the game.  Good Luck to you.  Hope the scale keeps moving south :-)

Most Active