I Might Have Sprung A Leak.....

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/10 6:06 am - Hatboro, PA
Hi everyone!  I had my surgery nearly 4 months ago, and I've lost 63 lbs total (49 since surgery, 14 lbs leading up to surgery).  I've been very happy with my band and my results so far. 

Back on 11/3, I had my first fill of 3 cc's into my realize band.  I went and saw my surgeon last week and he was going to add 2 cc's into my bad, bringing my total up to 5 cc's.  Unfortunately he was having issues getting the needle into the port, so instead I was referred to the Interventional Radiology Dept at the hospital to get the fill there.  I went this afternoon to get my fill and the doctor at the hospital removed the saline that was already in my band to check to see how much was there, and she was only able to extract 1 cc's of saline. 

So between 11/3 and now, I've apparently lost 2 cc's of saline from my band.  Unfortunately I go to see my surgeon tomorrow, to discuss this with him.  Is there any kind of test that can be done to see if my band has sprung a leak?  Or do I just need to wait a few weeks and then have them take the saline out to see what amount is still in there? 

(xposted to realize & lap band forums)
rich_in_nfpa
on 12/21/10 10:42 am - New Freedom, PA
I had a similar episode where the doctor was not able to withdraw the amount that was supposed to be in the band. He explained to me that that sometimes happens and went ahead and gave me a fill. He ordered a limited upper GI to check the band's placement and we made another appointment for a fill after that. The upper GI showed the placement was good and the next time I went in he was able to withdraw the full amount that was supposed to be in the band and give me another fill.

So, in other words, remember the words from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" -- DON'T PANIC.

Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
(deactivated member)
on 12/21/10 1:06 pm - Hatboro, PA
Thank you for the reply.  I got some replies on the other forum that have put me my mind at ease, so I'm not worried anymore.  I had been freaking out though, between a bunch of other stuff going on in my life and then thinking that there was a problem with my band.  But all is well.  Hope you have a great holiday sir.

And I LOVE that book, one of my favorites!
(deactivated member)
on 12/22/10 5:49 am - Hatboro, PA
Met with my surgeon today who told me that it is completely normal not to get all of the saline out, and that I should not be worried at all.  He answered all of my questions and was very helpful, as usual.  I go back for another evaluation in 6 weeks. 

So with the 3 cc's that was added yesterday at the hospital, I have now a total of 6 cc's in my band.  I am finally starting to feel a little bit of restriction, but not a whole lot. 

And since my appointment with my surgeon last week, I've lost 4 lbs more in the last 7 days!  YAY!
Tom C.
on 12/23/10 3:57 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Glad to read it's appears to be nothing.

Good luck, and have a wonderful (and sensible) Holiday !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
rich_in_nfpa
on 12/23/10 3:59 am - New Freedom, PA
Congrats on the additional weight loss. 

One of the things I did not understand when I began this process is that it can take a l-o-o-o-n-g time to reach the "sweet spot" with the band. I had the idea that within just a few months (surely 6 at the most) I'd be at my sweet spot and losing an average of 2 pounds a week. I've had 4-5 fills so far and I'm almost there. The last one provided good restriction for about a week and decent restriction since then. The next one should get me there. My weight has been bouncing back and forth between 205 and 215 for the last few months but I also know I've been doing a lot of emotional eating due to deaths and illnesses in the family. I'm grateful the band has kept a lid on things to the extent that it has. Without it I probably would have gained 20-30 pounds based on past experience.

Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Most Active