Band Slipped....warning some gross talk...

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/10 11:13 am - PA
Was up all night Thursday with choking and vomiting....all while I was sleeping.  Kept bringing up clear liquids and stomach bile.  Finally when my husband came home Friday morning from work, I call the dr and he suggested I go to the ER and get an upper gi because it sounded like my band slipped. 

Went to the ER and finally had the upper gi done and sure enough it slipped :(  Dr came in that afternoon and removed all fluid from band and we played the waiting game.  They kept me overnight and couldn't eat or drink anything.  If the band didn't slip back into place, then surgery to remove it.  Walked as much as I could throughout the night - hoping that would help - Dr suggested it would!

IT DID!  Had the 2nd upper gi done on Sat morning and my band was back into place!  Sent home with orders to start the postop diet all over again!  Let me tell you.....it's harder now than before!

I just want to eat some real food....SO BAD!!

So, if anybody has had this happen...which i hope it hasn't! 

Any tips on getting through the next couple weeks on the postop diet again!!!
rich_in_nfpa
on 12/6/10 12:57 am - New Freedom, PA
Wow! Sorry you've had this problem. Thank goodness, though, the band moved back into place.

As far as making it through the next few weeks all I can suggest is thinking it through. Any time you're tempted to eat something not part of the post-op plan, think about everything you went through to get the surgery and then what it was like when the band slipped. Ask yourself, is this food I crave worth risking another slippage and maybe having to have the band removed?

Let us know how you're doing. We're all pulling for you! 
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/10 9:27 am - PA
Thank you Rich for your encouraging words.  It's been 2 days and what a struggle! 

I think the postop diet was easier because I was able to mentally prepare myself for the diet change, but this time after eating REAL/Textured food and then all of a sudden goin back to all liquid diet has been tough. 

I'm getting through it and your correct...I definately don't want it to happen again or to throw away all I've accomplished.

Thanks again!

Alisha 
Tooty
on 12/8/10 2:23 am - Germantown, TN
After the first few days you should be feeling better about the diet again...make sure it is protein and then your cravings will fade a bit..

Hang in there..doesn't sound like much fun at all, but I am glad it is back in place!
Cathlena - 39, 4'11"   Start - 210  3/31/09    BMI  Start: 42.4    
 LilySlim - (OdX3)
Tom C.
on 12/9/10 9:57 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
How you feeling now? .. Just wondering.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active