plateau @10 wks

red9mom
on 12/4/10 1:33 pm
10 weeks post op...have lost 28 lbs, but I have not lost any weight for about 3 weeks. I have started drinking more water.I keep track of my protein.I now take the stairs at work everyday. What am I doing wrong?
Penny
crystal M.
on 12/5/10 12:07 am, edited 12/5/10 12:08 am - Joliet, IL
Hello

I have plateaued several times in the 1 1/2+ years since surgery.  assuming that you are eating correctly, you need to increase your exercise.  When I first plateaued I started taking a 15 minute walk and then eventually added another 15 minuted walk.  I now take my two 15 minute wallks and I  work out in a gym 90 minutes a day.  One hour on the treadmill and then 30 minutes of weights and stretching.  I have been doing this for 3 months now and have not plateaued at all...in fact I have lost 25+ pounds and over 15 1/2 inches.  If you really want to step up your weight loss you need to do a lot of exercise.  It's also important to do weights because muscle burns fat (metabolism) the more muscle you build the more weight you lose.  Weight lifting is also beneficial to bone density.  The older woman get the more important bone density is. 

I know we are all busy and it's hard to find time.  I work 55 hours a week but I find time.  I have now put this as a priority.  Nothing comes before my workout...errands, doctors appointments, outings with friends and family...all come AFTER I work out. 
Hislady
on 12/5/10 11:59 am - Vancouver, WA

It's pretty common to plateau every few months, your body needs to take a break to readjust to the weight loss. When it's ready it'll kick back into weight loss mode again. Exercise will often jump start it.

Tom C.
on 12/5/10 9:54 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Stalls are natural part of weight loss. It seems the body “catches on" to what we have been doing, and holds onto everything. After a while, the lost restarts and things go well.

However, stalls can also because by eating (a) too much (b) not enough. I know it sounds a little contradictory, and I will try to explain.

Too much: While we need to make sure we hit our protein requirements (60-80 grams, or whatever your Doctor told you), we need to make sure the carbs, calories, etc are “acceptable". Remember, you don’t want to make your 80 grams of protein by eating 4 gallons of ice cream or a starchy carb.

Not enough: Again, make sure you are meeting your daily protein requirements. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

Give it another few weeks. If nothing happens, talk to your Doctor. That's why they are there.

Always know we're here for you.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active