Band Erosion

DisappointedBandPati
ent

on 11/21/10 2:44 am - OH
Have any of you experienced band erosion into your stomach?  If so, how long after your initial surgery?
MARIA F.
on 11/21/10 9:45 am - Athens, GA
How long have u had your band? Your NOT going to get another band are u???

Erosion happens, as do slips/port problems/leaks/etc.
DisappointedBandPati
ent

on 11/25/10 10:38 am - OH
I only had my band for 4 months.  Erosion is very painful, scary, and dangerous.  It does a lot of damage.  I was sick for 6 weeks before my original surgeon ran the appropriate tests to determine what was wrong.  As I understand it, erosion is one of the rare complications and it generally happens after having the band for 2-3 years and only happens to 1%-3% of all gastric band patients.

I chose another surgeon to remove my band completely and have the option of considering an alternative bariatric surgery in about 6 months.

MARIA F.
on 11/26/10 8:16 am - Athens, GA

So sorry to hear about this! It's especially sad when I see posts like this and the bandster never even had a chance to lose weight with the band and this happens!!!

Visit the VSG, RNY and DS form and start researching to see which one of those would be best for u (u will find a LOT of previous bandsters on those forums as well!). Also the revision forum is a great resource as well.

Best of luck to u!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

WASaBubbleButt
on 12/6/10 12:34 pm - Mexico
On November 25, 2010 at 6:38 PM Pacific Time, DisappointedBandPatient wrote:
I only had my band for 4 months.  Erosion is very painful, scary, and dangerous.  It does a lot of damage.  I was sick for 6 weeks before my original surgeon ran the appropriate tests to determine what was wrong.  As I understand it, erosion is one of the rare complications and it generally happens after having the band for 2-3 years and only happens to 1%-3% of all gastric band patients.

I chose another surgeon to remove my band completely and have the option of considering an alternative bariatric surgery in about 6 months.

Spooky thing is that typically erosion has no symptoms other than a lack of restriction.  It usually does not cause pain or anything other than a loss of restriction.

Sorry you had to go through this. :o(

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active