Tube detached from port

TJsMama
on 11/17/10 4:23 am
I just found out (though suspected it due to pain I am in) that the tube has disconnected from my port and is floating around in my body.  Now waiting for Dr.'s office to get going on approval and schedule me for surgery.  Anyone else have this issue with the Realize band? I just had it put in on June 4.
Tom C.
on 11/17/10 5:43 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
While very rare for this to occur (especially for the Realize band), it does occasionally happen. Good thing (A) you listened to your body and went to the Doctor (B) the Doctor realized (no pun intended) what the issue was, and is planning on fixing it.

Good luck, and know we'll all keep you in our thoughts (and prayer where applicable).

Keep us informed what happens.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
MARIA F.
on 11/17/10 9:51 am - Athens, GA

There is a Realize recall: The voluntary recall was undertaken due to reports of the potential for the Tubing Strain Relief, a small (2 centimeter) flexible sheath on the band's Injection Port, to slide out of its intended position.

This may be the cause of your problem?
TJsMama
on 11/21/10 12:27 pm
I already was aware of the recall and I'm having a hard time getting anyone from the company to respond back to me, other than a PR person.

Not sure if this is part of the recall or if I'm just lucky.  (sarc) 

Thanks though!
April W.
on 11/18/10 7:20 pm - Hamburg, PA
I had a disconnect fixed in Aug.  I was in surgery for tubal ligation and the dr noticed the tube floating and followed it to the band.  Luckly my wls dr office was 2 floors down and he was able to reconnect the tube to the port.

April Whiteneck
HW = 267 SW = 249 CW = 168.2

gthompkins
on 11/20/10 11:39 pm
I would really appreciate it if you would describe your pain or discomfort that you had for me?  Thanks for sharing.
TJsMama
on 11/21/10 12:25 pm
The pain first started off near the port, on my left side. It felt like I was being stabbed.  Then there was a lot of cramping and sometimes stabbing pain on the entire left side of my body below the rib cage.  I thought for a day that somehow the hooks came loose or something, as it just hurt near the port area.  After the first few days, and I assume as the tube was moving around, it almost felt like contractions or extremely bad menstrual pain with both ovaries.  Then I had pain in the middle, about 3 or 4 inches below my belly button and the pain was radiating down through my groin area.  Honestly, there were, and still are times, when it feels like someone is stabbing my rectum. For some reason whatever is being "bothered" by this tube during those times the pain shoots all the way through that area.  Generally the tube is sitting over on my lower right abdomen area, not far from the pelvic bone and ovary.  I have to be very careful how I sleep at night because if I somehow end up on my right side the pain is so bad I don't want to move even to breathe.  Overall, it's sharp stabbing pains when the tube is pressing against something.

I honestly thought I was having an issue with my appendix when the pain moved to my right side.  Does this help you?
rich_in_nfpa
on 11/22/10 4:08 am - New Freedom, PA
Here's a little bit of further information on the recall from the Realize band website.....

"The voluntary recall was undertaken due to reports of the potential for the Tubing Strain Relief, a small (2 centimeter) flexible sheath on the band's Injection Port, to slide out of its intended position. In these rare cases, the Tubing Strain Relief may slide along the catheter tubing that connects to the Injection Port. If this happens, the Tubing Strain Relief can no longer aid in preventing kinking where the tubing connects to the port. The Tubing Strain Relief was an enhancement made to the gastric band system to address tube kinking, a complication common to all gastric bands.

Movement of the Tubing Strain Relief is highly unlikely to cause any serious injury or adverse health consequences and it rarely affects the band's function. In the extremely rare instance when tube kinking occurs at the Injection Port, the physician might be unable to adjust fluid volume within the gastric band, which may require additional surgery to correct. The reported incidence of the Tubing Strain Relief sliding out of its intended position is less than 1 in 1,000. The reported incidence of tube kinking at the port related to the Tubing Strain Relief sliding out of position is 1 in 10,000. There have been no reported cases of gastric band removal due to the Tubing Strain Relief sliding out of position."

The full explanation is at: www.realizemysuccess.com/VoluntaryRecall.htm

It doesn't sound like the recall has anything to do with tubes detaching -- just a 1 in 10,000 chance of the tube kinking.

That being said, nothing in this world is guaranteed to never fail. Murphy's Law applies to everything -- even gastric bands.

Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Most Active