GETTNG DISGUSTED!!!

ralphsgirl2
on 11/8/10 10:02 pm
I had my band on 7.7.10 and I'm down almost 30lbs.  I've had two fills 5cc and 2cc's, but, I feel NO restriction.  I feel I can really eat a LOT of food(I feel) before I feel satisfied.  I don't feel this is "normal" for me!  I'm eating everything right.....haven't had bread, white rice, potatoes or sugars since the surgery and I'm good with that,but, I feel giving all this up should show more of a weight loss.  I'm always looking for something at night, so;  I eat an apple w/reduced fat p.butter(2tblsp), Kashi cereal w/skim plus or a rice cake w/p.butter.  I dont' feel like I should be getting these cravings at night.  I've completely changed the way I eat, I NEVER ate salads, now I'm the "salad queen"......eat 3 meals a day..........don't know what's wrong!!!!  Joined a gym in July and have gone about 5 times, I find it boring by myself and everyone I know is no convenient to this gym(already paid for a year)......I really hate excercise and have been this way all my life.  I don't mind walking,but, I never do it.  I work full-time and am tired when i get home from work.  In a rut I guess!!!!
Tom C.
on 11/8/10 10:57 pm, edited 11/8/10 11:06 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

When I hear/read – I feel NO RESTRICTION – I always wonder “what do they expect RESTRICTION to feel like"? Honestly, you DON’T WANT TO FEEL RESTRICTION. If you do, you’re over-tight (or eating too fast). Believe me, when this happens it’s horrible. A “good" fill means, you can PASS food with NO RESTRICTIONS, while getting “full on less".

Now, how does one “get full on less"? Well, a proper fill is important. The first thing to remember is how the fills are done. Some doctors do it under fluoroscope (x-ray and barium drink), while most do it “blindly." When done under x-ray the Doctor can “see" exactly how ‘tight’ the band is, compared of a Doctor who puts in .5 cc in at a time. While the fluoroscope method may be more expensive, over time it can cost the same (or less) compared to “poke & hope" method because it takes fewer visits to get to the “sweet" spot with fluoroscope then blindly.

Another method is to EAT SLOWLY. Studies have shown it takes approximately 25 (20 to 30) minutes for the stomach to tell the brain “I’ve had enough". It doesn’t matter how much food you put in there. TO THIS DAY I still eat by STOP WATCH. I put a piece of food in my mouth, and wait one entire minute before I put another piece in my mouth. By doing this, my meals usually last 30 minutes.

Please also know, I am using a baby/salad fork/spoon – so the “amount" of food going in is less than a normal size fork/spoon – hence the meal lasts longer. Plus I put it on smaller plates, so it appears to be a lot of food. I trick my eyes.

Make sure you’re not drinking 30 minutes before/after or during meals. Liquids can make you feel hungrier quicker. Best analogy – think of sand through a funnel. If the sand is dry, it takes a while to go through the funnel. Poor water on top of it, and it comes spewing out of the funnel quickly.

What is also important is WHAT you are eating at each meal. Remember, in order to stay satisfied longer, make sure you eat PROTEIN first, followed by Fiber (vegetables/salad), and finally GOOD (non-starchy) carbs, and (very little) fats. Protein will keep you feeling full the longest.

While you are eating 3 meals a daym the big question I have is are you hitting your recommended allotment of protein? While usually is should be between 60 and 80 grams of protein (check with your Doctor), you may need more (again CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR). When I first had the operation I noticed if I ate 4 ounces of protein I didn’t feel full - however if I ate 6 ounces I did. I spoke to my Doctor about it. FOR ME he said that those “numbers" are somewhat guidelines. He went on to explain there are some folks who feel full on 2 ounces of protein while some need 6 or 8. He also explained that the calories intake should not be too much of a concern in the beginning. The way he explained it to me was: Prior the operation I may have been taken 3,000 calories per day. After the operation, with the amount of food I was taking in - I may have been taking in 1700 calories. While that’s 500 calories more then the recommended daily allotment - it was actually 1300 calories less then what I normally took in. So not only was I losing weight, but was also feel full. We need to worry about calories when our weight slows downs/stops or starts going up. ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR/NUTRITIONISTS BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGE YOUR INTAKE

Another reason you’re not losing can be because you are eating (a) too much (b) not enough. I know it sounds a little contradictory, and I will try to explain.

Too much: While we need to make sure we hit our protein requirements (60-80 grams, or whatever your Doctor told you), we need to make sure the carbs, calories, etc are “acceptable". Remember, you don’t want to make your 80 grams of protein by eating 4 gallons of ice cream or a starchy carb.

Not enough: Again, make sure you are meeting your daily protein requirements. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

Finally exercise. I won’t lie, this is an important KEY to losing weight. What I won’t also lie about is – I HATED IT!! The only gym I loved going to was Jim’s Diner down the street. But, now (almost 3 years later) I am training to run my first 5K on Thanksgiving day.

For anyone who had this operation, and hates exercising this is what I tell them – you need to DO SOMETHING!!! I am not saying, go to the gym and become Arnold Schwarzenegger – but do SOMETHING. What I always suggest is the following "exercise" program.  Day 1 – get up from the couch  - walk to the front door – open the front door - close the door – DONE. Day 2 – get up from the couch – walk to the front door – open the front door – walk down the steps – go back inside – DONE.  Day 3 – get up from the couch – walk to the front door – open the front door – walk down the steps – go down the drive way - go back inside – DONE. Day 4 – get up from the couch – walk to the front door – open the front door – walk down the steps – go down the drive way – go ½ way down the block – come back home  DONE. Day 5– get up from the couch – walk to the front door – open the front door – walk down the steps – go down the drive way – go ALL THE way down the block – come back home  DONE. Day 6 & 7 rest … Day 8 – get up from the couch – walk to the front door – open the front door – walk down the steps – go down the drive way – go ALL way down the block – go ½ down the other block -- come back home  DONE. .. you get the picture … Once you're up to 30 minutes then keep doing this until YOU DECIDE you want to go further. ..  Also, do the ‘silly things’ – such as if you go shopping; instead of parking in the 1st spot – park at the furthest end of  the lot and WALK into the store, and walk around. .. When taking the elevator, go one floor below your floor and walk up 1 flight of steps … If you need to change the tv channel – get UP and MANUALLY change it instead of using the remote.

OK, I now have bored the &#^^@@ out of you. Just know (A) you’re not alone (B) I am here if you need.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Stephanie M.
on 11/9/10 12:27 am

I came across this yesterday...it really helps when deciding if we have head hunger or true hunger...1-5 are helpfull for us bandsters to help tell the difference.  If we venture into 7 or higher we are risking damaging our stomach and esophagus....

This tool will help you avoid eating mindlessly. The more in touch you are with your hunger, the less you need to count calories.

First, decide how you're feeling:

10: Stuffed. You are so full you feel nauseous.

9: Very uncomfortably full. You need to loosen your clothes.

8: Uncomfortably full. You feel bloated.

7: Full. A little bit uncomfortable.

6: Perfectly comfortable. You feel satisfied.

5: Comfortable. You're more or less satisfied, but could eat a little more.

4: Slightly uncomfortable. You're just beginning to feel signs of hunger.

3: Uncomfortably hungry. Your stomach is rumbling.

2: Very uncomfortable. You feel irritable and unable to concentrate.

1: Weak and light-headed. Your stomach acid is churning.

You should eat only when you're feeling 1, 2, 3 or 4.

Put your fork down at 5 or 6 and wait until the next scheduled meal or snack.

If you're trying to lose weight, stop at 5, the point at which you're eating a little less than your body is burning.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

AnitaMcD
on 11/17/10 6:14 am - So. Orange County, CA
Wow, that's a good measuring stick for me.  I'm going to have to keep that in mind. 
Thanks, Stephanie!

Anita 
                                 [Start:250; SW
:243; CW:218; GW:150]
       ~ Success is achieved and maintained by those who try and keep trying!          

Most Active